How to approach this email campaign

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to approach this email campaign

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:03 pm

I am a 3L at a top 20 law school. Top half of class but not top 25%. No journal. Somewhat prestigious (in my market.. read: non-federal) public sector internship during 2L, and average work during my 1L summer. Decent pre-law school work experience. I got a biglaw 2L SA. Assuming I do not get an offer from them:

I recently met with an adjunct professor I had 2L year. He is a practicing attorney and very well known in my market. He gave me a long list of higher-ups at firms that I could contact and mention his referral. They are all involved in practice groups I am interested in. How do I go about contacting them? Should I just send my standard application asking for a job? Should I ask if they would meet with me at which time I could gauge their hiring needs? I don't know that I have time to meet with 20+ attorneys.

Really just looking for ideas and thoughts here. Any help is appreciated.

tsutsik

Re: How to approach this email campaign

Postby tsutsik » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:20 pm

I don't have any helpful advice to offer, but I don't understand something. You had a biglaw 2L SA position but you don't yet know whether you got an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:22 pm

to the extent it might make a difference in your reply assume I do not have an offer.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to the extent it might make a difference in your reply assume I do not have an offer.

Given that you are (1) a faceless TLS handle (2) further anonymized by the use of anonymous posting, you could probably just tell us whether you have an offer....unless what you are saying is that you still haven't heard. (If that is the case, out the big law firm leaving people hanging until almost November, for Christ's sake.)

As for how to approach this, first you should make time to meet with all 20 if that's what it takes. Whatever is taking your time now (class, I assume...presumably you are not worried about meeting with potential employers interfering with your journal or something) should take a backseat to getting a job since going to law school is pretty much a waste if you don't get a job. What I would suggest is writing to each one and saying you are a 3L at X School interested in X practice area and that Professor X is your mentor, and he recommended that you contact the person about practicing in X practice area and you are wondering if they would be willing to talk with you about it. As I am writing this, I see your dilemma more starkly, because it is hard to know whether to include your resume and the question 'are you hiring?' right off the bat or whether to just request to meet with them. I guess I would err toward the latter and try to arrange informational interviews to start. Then at the meeting you can bring resumes and ask him/her if s/he (or anyone s/he knows) is hiring in the practice area. I never used informational interviews but other people on here swear by them.

Also, any chance the adjunct would actually make some calls on your behalf? I feel like that could get one of these people to actually forward a resume to whoever handles hiring (whereas if you send it to the person and name drop the professor's name, they might just delete the email).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:37 pm

OP here:
I appreciate your reply.

I don't want to set up a meeting under the premise that I am there to talk about the practice area then hit them up with a resume. The ol' bait and switch usually doesn't leave a good impression.

And to me, meeting with 20 attorneys is not a lot of time. It's the prep that takes time. If I treat each one like an interview, which I would, it could monopolize a significant amount of time. Class definitely takes a back seat but they are not my only obligation. I can't well let my grades drop this semester and have to apply in January with a lower GPA.

Because of this I tend to go with the resume in email approach. Would still like to here other thoughts.

Thanks again

Return to “Legal Employment”