Do tech companies hire law school grads? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do tech companies hire law school grads?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Do tech companies like google, apple, etc hire law school grads? Has anyone ever gotten a summer or full time job with them before right out of law school? How do you do it? Do you just do their online application (which seems to lead no where all the time). Is it all about knowing the right people?

Thanks!

ajr

Bronze

Re: Do tech companies hire law school grads?

Post by ajr » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do tech companies like google, apple, etc hire law school grads? Has anyone ever gotten a summer or full time job with them before right out of law school? How do you do it? Do you just do their online application (which seems to lead no where all the time). Is it all about knowing the right people?

Thanks!
Possible but quite rare because they don't usually train fresh grads. The best way to do it is to have worked for them in an engineering role before for a decent amount of time.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:52 pm

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 pm

I work at a tech company and all of our attorneys practiced law elsewhere before coming here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:51 pm

Lots of tech companies out here in Silicon Valley hire grads straight out of school. It's not extremely common, but not extremely rare either. I do know that Google has hired people straight from law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lots of tech companies out here in Silicon Valley hire grads straight out of school. It's not extremely common, but not extremely rare either. I do know that Google has hired people straight from law school.
which ones?

ajr

Bronze

Post by ajr » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lots of tech companies out here in Silicon Valley hire grads straight out of school. It's not extremely common, but not extremely rare either. I do know that Google has hired people straight from law school.
When they do this there is usually a specific pre-law school experience they find useful in you. Most common is technical expertise. If you have that experience to begin with, this might be a worthwhile option to explore. If not it could be quite frustrating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
which ones?
I know that HP has a program where they hire straight from school. No technical experience required. I've seen job listings from Lattice Semiconductor for people with technical backgrounds straight out of law school. I've also seen listings, or heard of people, for Yelp, Zynga, Symantec, Pandora, and lots of other companies. You might want to see if Santa Clara publishes a list of where their students work. I think they send a lot more to in-house companies than most other schools due to their location.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:23 am

[deleted]
Last edited by Sgtpeppernyc on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:05 am

I summered at HP. They hire straight out.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:30 pm

neonx wrote:I summered at HP. They hire straight out.
Hey what's up!

What capacity/department do they hire into straight out?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:44 pm

neonx wrote:I summered at HP. They hire straight out.
HP is the only tech company I know of that still does this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 am

HP and Google have summer programs. Google takes 1L's. I think HP takes 1L's and 2L's. Google's team doesn't hire out of their program - its more to build connections for people who may want to work there later on. However, they have made some exceptions for exceptional students and hired them straight out of school. I believe the HP program's goal is to hire students and train them to think as business attorneys who take appropriate risks instead of law firm attorneys who minimize all risks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:32 am

I worked for one of the large Silicon Valley software companies in their legal department for a few years before law school.

While I was there, they did hire a handful of law school grads. However, they were not being hired for the same positions as the new hires that were coming into the company with firm experience. Several of the law school grads that were hired directly ended up doing work that was more or less the same as the work I was doing. Every single attorney I worked with (both those that joined the company directly after law school and those that worked in a firm for several years before joining the company) suggested working at a firm for at least 2 years before moving in house.

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 pm

I've heard of semiconductor companies that hire IP attorneys straight out, and even 2L -> grad. Namely, lattice and mentor graphics.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”