not yet admitted: full salary

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

not yet admitted: full salary

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:40 pm

i've seen people who did not get admitted until a year (or even two - I doubt they failed but I could not fathom the reason; they did not work for judges either) after they worked full-time.

yet they received biglaw salary even without admission to the bar.

how do firms justify this practice?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: not yet admitted: full salary

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Well, they're still doing the same work, aren't they? It's not like first- or even second-year associates in big firms are going to court. If they don't ever get admitted they're certainly going to be fired, and I'd rather take the bar before starting at Biglaw than after.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Because you do the exact same work as everyone else. You just generally have to put a little astricks at the end of your emails saying you haven't passed the bar

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:32 pm

It's no more or less of a bullshit practice than paying first-years $160,000 in general.

Return to “Legal Employment”