2013 Presidential Management Fellows

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Presidential Management Fellows

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:assuming one becomes a finalist, how difficult is it to then get a PMF position at an agency?

Odds are similar to getting biglaw through OCI at a lower T14 school. But if you're a veteran you're pretty much guaranteed to get something.

As a veteran, this intrgues me. Is veterans preference that valuable for this application??

You have more chances for success than others b/c of preference, but for some reason not all vets are selected every year. Maybe because they found something else or wasn't really interested in PMF after all, but from past years experience, being a vet is not a sure thing. Although as a JD vet, you're way ahead of most everyone else provided you're qualified for the position.

Disclosure: current JD PMF vet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:26 pm

So, sorry if this is stupid...but, even if I get PMF, my chances of getting a job still aren't that great?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's hard to predict because the agency hiring changes yearly. The vast majority of the jobs law students want are in DC, including all of the (very few) truly legal jobs. However, last year the DOL had an opening in the NYC area, the CDC had several openings in Atlanta for policy related positions, and the CFPB had openings in NYC and Chicago for bank examiners. Veterans Affairs had openings all over the country, but I'm not sure how well those jobs would work for law students since they were barely policy related. It's definitely worth it to apply though, especially if you have nothing else lined up.

So is it mostly policy jobs? That's what I'm primarily interested in anyway, so, that would be great. Did you take the bar? Do they allow you time for that? And what is the likely situation about a job after the fellowship is over?

Also, what do you think they are looking for in semi-finalists? Do you think there was a particular reason you were chosen?

Policy PMF as well. Agency was cool and allowed me time to take (and pass) the bar. Job is permanent after fellowship ends. You're eligible to apply for DOJ honors (again) after 1st year of PMF. During 1L I realized I wasn't tracking the Big Law route, so I starting doing everything geared toward fed govt work. 1L and 2L internships were fed govt, did legal clinic, community service, etc. Feds are big on commitment to service - they always ask, "why fed govt?". As other poster noted, they want to know you're not just doing this b/c you couldn't get a job practising law (law firm or otherwise). In this sense, they're super skeptical of JDs. Most JDs I know who are PMFs have had prior public service.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, sorry if this is stupid...but, even if I get PMF, my chances of getting a job still aren't that great?

Not stupid, but yes...the odds are about 25-40% if you're selected as a finalist. The upshot is that you have 1 calendar year to find a PMF placement. Lots of time to network and find something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, sorry if this is stupid...but, even if I get PMF, my chances of getting a job still aren't that great?

Not stupid, but yes...the odds are about 25-40% if you're selected as a finalist. The upshot is that you have 1 calendar year to find a PMF placement. Lots of time to network and find something.

Woah - and what do people usually do for work in the off time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Woah - and what do people usually do for work in the off time?

If you take the bar, by the time that's done, almost 4 months will have gone by since the time of finalist announcements (assuming finalist selection in april). Some people may have the option of participating in their law school's "we'll pay you a modest stipend to work as a law clerk for a few months program" after passing the bar. then there's always being a contract attorney. certainly not ideal, but if it comes to that, it will pay the bills until you can find something.

Although, this is all hypothetical. I got my PMF job before graduation.

Return to “Legal Employment”