Effect of pass/failing a class (TIME SENSITIVE)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Effect of pass/failing a class (TIME SENSITIVE)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:55 am

Here's the deal. Top 15% at a T25 school. Still in the process of doing interviews/CBs for BigLaw. Only signed up for 4 classes this semester in anticipation of journal/job search/etc., and still on pace to graduate on time with no issues.

I really want to pass/fail one of my elective classes (not an area I particularly want to practice in) for several reasons, but want to know if pass/failing will look bad to whatever firm I (hopefully) am working for next summer. Specifically, is pass/failing a class (a) so early in law school and (b) when I am only taking 4 classes to begin with likely to cause problems with a potential employer? Also, just from a general trying-to-keep-my-GPA-up perspective, is this a stupid idea?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I only have until the end of business Friday to decide. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Effect of pass/failing a class (TIME SENSITIVE)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:33 am

Do you mean you can make a class pass/fail instead of letter graded?

I don't think that is going to affect your current interviews. The firms won't know about it unless you tell them because it's not going to show up on your transcript.

It may affect you in the future if you need to do more interviews 2nd semester or in your 3L year. But If this is not a mainstream course and you have a good class schedule for your second semester, I don't htink it's going to affect you that much. Plus I don't think firms generally look at your transcript and classes that closely anyway. They usually just focus on your resume and your overall gpa.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:49 am

It will probably not matter. Schools have different [policies] surrounding pass/fail, and firms likely have no clue about the particular pass/fail rules are your school. It will likely not stick out in any sort of way, especially if it's in a non-substantive class,
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you mean you can make a class pass/fail instead of letter graded?

I don't think that is going to affect your current interviews. The firms won't know about it unless you tell them because it's not going to show up on your transcript.

It may affect you in the future if you need to do more interviews 2nd semester or in your 3L year. But If this is not a mainstream course and you have a good class schedule for your second semester, I don't htink it's going to affect you that much. Plus I don't think firms generally look at your transcript and classes that closely anyway. They usually just focus on your resume and your overall gpa.

1) I would love to hear how you think this would affect OP in later interviews.
2) Why are you anon?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you mean you can make a class pass/fail instead of letter graded?

OP here.

Yeah, we can decide up until tomorrow to make the class pass/fail instead of letter graded. We are allowed to do this with up to two classes throughout our 3 years at the law school. It is definitely not a mainstream course; it is 100% elective, not an area I want to work in. In fact, the main reason I took it was to be with a certain professor, and he ended up dropping as the prof right before the class started.

That being said, I was most worried about it affecting me second semester or 3L year. I was also worried that, if I do land a good gig for this summer, will it look bad to them when they get my 2L resume (i.e. in the same vein of worrying about a no-offer due to a grade drop).

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:It will probably not matter. Schools have different schools surrounding pass/fail, and firms likely have no clue about the particular pass/fail rules are your school. It will likely not stick out in any sort of way, especially if it's in a non-substantive class,

I honestly wouldn't be worried about it at all if I was taking a full 5 class schedule this semester. It is mainly because I only have 4 classes to begin with that I was worried. I was also worried that it gives me less opportunity to mitigate a bad grade in another class, but that's just a secondary concern.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:31 am

Anyone else have any thoughts?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:14 am

I cannot possibly imagine that firms would a) analyze your transcript so closely that they wonder why you took a pass/fail class while only taking 4 classes or b) give a shit. On the remote chance that they do ask, if you have a perfectly good and acceptable answer. If you're really concerned about it, post this question to the V15 senior associate thread, but I would be shocked if firms actually care about this.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:02 am

Should not be a problem considering non-substantive class.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:11 am

there are some classes that are P/F anyways so its not a big deal.

if asked, you could just say that you took the class to investigate more about the subject, but realized that it didnt mesh with your outlook/ ideological thinking ( word that differently obvioulsy) etc, and you just wanted to go p/f
As long as your answer is reasonable and believeable, you should be okay

Return to “Legal Employment”