USAO Clearance Form

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:30 pm

Anyone know what standard form (SF-85, 85P, 85p-s, 86, etc.) that semester interns do these days at the USAO?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 am

pretty sure it was SF 86 but it went through eQIP rather than a specific form so I could be wrong. also you get a waiver, not an actual clearance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:25 am

Did you work on national security stuff/cases?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did you work on national security stuff/cases?

no, they wouldn't put anyone there for a semester on those because they said it would take too long to get a real clearance. even the waiver can take months.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 am

Interesting. I have done an sf-86 before, but for a different agency. I would have thought USAO would only require an sf-85p.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:pretty sure it was SF 86 but it went through eQIP rather than a specific form so I could be wrong. also you get a waiver, not an actual clearance.


Is a wavier the same as "interim clearance" or is a waiver something else?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby 20130312 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:pretty sure it was SF 86 but it went through eQIP rather than a specific form so I could be wrong. also you get a waiver, not an actual clearance.


Is a wavier the same as "interim clearance" or is a waiver something else?

They are different. An interim clearance is almost as good as the real thing, but can also take months to be granted. And the SF-86 is a huge pain.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:36 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:pretty sure it was SF 86 but it went through eQIP rather than a specific form so I could be wrong. also you get a waiver, not an actual clearance.


Is a wavier the same as "interim clearance" or is a waiver something else?

They are different. An interim clearance is almost as good as the real thing, but can also take months to be granted. And the SF-86 is a huge pain.


Thank you. I have filled out an SF-86 before and it was a pain. I had no idea how much more complex this all was. So they just say forget it and waive you as long as you haven't done anything crazy or done drugs recently? Do they do this for all summer/semester interns?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 pm

They give you an interim clearance so you can start work. If you want to stay on longer, then they actually do the full clearance. But they don't give you the interim clearance if they see any red flags.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:pretty sure it was SF 86 but it went through eQIP rather than a specific form so I could be wrong. also you get a waiver, not an actual clearance.


Is a wavier the same as "interim clearance" or is a waiver something else?

They are different. An interim clearance is almost as good as the real thing, but can also take months to be granted. And the SF-86 is a huge pain.

the waiver can also take months and is a huge pain, but I think it's for interning for 6 months or less.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:32 pm

kalvano wrote:They give you an interim clearance so you can start work. If you want to stay on longer, then they actually do the full clearance. But they don't give you the interim clearance if they see any red flags.


Based on your knowledge, do they still investigate, interview references, etc., with interim?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm

depends on the office. last year I was asking about a certain form and everyone on here was like, "you don't have to fill that form out." Southern District of california at least has you fill out SF86 for summer. Kinda sucks to have to expose 7 years of drug history for an internship that won't lead to a job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:depends on the office. last year I was asking about a certain form and everyone on here was like, "you don't have to fill that form out." Southern District of california at least has you fill out SF86 for summer. Kinda sucks to have to expose 7 years of drug history for an internship that won't lead to a job.


That seems to be the answer--it depends on cases the USAO has while you are there. Thank you.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby The Duck » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:They give you an interim clearance so you can start work. If you want to stay on longer, then they actually do the full clearance. But they don't give you the interim clearance if they see any red flags.


Based on your knowledge, do they still investigate, interview references, etc., with interim?


They never interview for a secret clearance unless its called for. Its national agency, local, agency, and credit. And yes, the OPM rules for interim clearances require the investigation to be open and no known reasons that may eventually disqualify. If they find disqualifying info, they come back through your agency and you have to respond with info...then they investigate before they adjudicate the clearance.

Also, the USAO has no control other than what clearance they are requesting. Once their security manager opens the clearance, OPM rules apply.

- Former security manager in the military
Last edited by The Duck on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:They give you an interim clearance so you can start work. If you want to stay on longer, then they actually do the full clearance. But they don't give you the interim clearance if they see any red flags.


Based on your knowledge, do they still investigate, interview references, etc., with interim?


I think it depends on the situation. If they see something that bothers them, they'll probably dig a little deeper, make some calls. If you look clean, then it's pretty clear sailing. None of my references were called, but a girl I worked with said a couple of hers were. But she was there a lot longer than me.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby 20130312 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Kalvano is dead on with regard to references. Also, prior drug use isn't an automatic disqualifier. They just want you to be honest. The only auto ding is if you lie to them and they find out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:43 pm

I know the sf-86 can ask for information as far as 7 or 10 years back...what happens when you literally can't find someone (outside of family members) to verify a period of residence or unemployment. Immediate ding or if you reasonably didn't know anyone it's not a huge red flag?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:59 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Kalvano is dead on with regard to references. Also, prior drug use isn't an automatic disqualifier. They just want you to be honest. The only auto ding is if you lie to them and they find out.


false. wtf? it is indeed an automatic ding to have recent drugs. not automatic if it was a while back.

speaking of which, this is from the President's book: "Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it." Pretty sure that would disqualify him from an AUSA job.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby 20130312 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Kalvano is dead on with regard to references. Also, prior drug use isn't an automatic disqualifier. They just want you to be honest. The only auto ding is if you lie to them and they find out.


false. wtf? it is indeed an automatic ding to have recent drugs. not automatic if it was a while back.

speaking of which, this is from the President's book: "Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it." Pretty sure that would disqualify him from an AUSA job.

I know for a fact that you're wrong, and you can PM me if you want the deetz.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby kalvano » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Prior PCP / meth use will disqualify you. Prior weed use won't automatically.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I spoke with an AUSA this week about the background check. The only drug-related *automatic* ding was post-bar drug use. Now, I can't imagine they'd love to see pre-bar drug use, and if it was extensive enough I'd imagine it could ding you, but it's not automatic. (InGoodFaith wrote "prior drug use isn't an automatic disqualifier," which isn't quite the same as the anon's "It is indeed an automatic ding to have recent drugs.")

(The other auto-dings were financial - late payment of taxes, failure to pay taxes, failure to pay student loans. I'd imagine tax fraud counts as failure to pay?)

Of course, I have no idea if different districts have different policies, but I don't think so, because the AUSA made it sound like they sent all the checks to a central place, and that central unit set the policy.

[edited to add after kalvano posted: and yeah, I'd imagine they treat different drugs differently when they're considering the case-by-case basis.]

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby 20130312 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:14 pm

I should clarify:

Drug use will in a position of authority, like post bar or with a security clearance, is an auto ding. There are other auto sings as well, but prior drug use isn't one of them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I spoke with an AUSA this week about the background check. The only drug-related *automatic* ding was post-bar drug use. Now, I can't imagine they'd love to see pre-bar drug use, and if it was extensive enough I'd imagine it could ding you, but it's not automatic. (InGoodFaith wrote "prior drug use isn't an automatic disqualifier," which isn't quite the same as the anon's "It is indeed an automatic ding to have recent drugs.")

(The other auto-dings were financial - late payment of taxes, failure to pay taxes, failure to pay student loans. I'd imagine tax fraud counts as failure to pay?)

Of course, I have no idea if different districts have different policies, but I don't think so, because the AUSA made it sound like they sent all the checks to a central place, and that central unit set the policy.

[edited to add after kalvano posted: and yeah, I'd imagine they treat different drugs differently when they're considering the case-by-case basis.]


Did you learn anything about standard forms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I spoke with an AUSA this week about the background check. The only drug-related *automatic* ding was post-bar drug use. Now, I can't imagine they'd love to see pre-bar drug use, and if it was extensive enough I'd imagine it could ding you, but it's not automatic. (InGoodFaith wrote "prior drug use isn't an automatic disqualifier," which isn't quite the same as the anon's "It is indeed an automatic ding to have recent drugs.")

(The other auto-dings were financial - late payment of taxes, failure to pay taxes, failure to pay student loans. I'd imagine tax fraud counts as failure to pay?)

Of course, I have no idea if different districts have different policies, but I don't think so, because the AUSA made it sound like they sent all the checks to a central place, and that central unit set the policy.

[edited to add after kalvano posted: and yeah, I'd imagine they treat different drugs differently when they're considering the case-by-case basis.]


Did you learn anything about standard forms?

No, sorry; I know I had to fill one out for a previous internship there, but I don't remember which one it was. Is there some significant difference between them all?

Edited: honestly, I'm not sure it was any of the forms the OP listed - the 85P seems closest, but I know I got asked about foreign contacts as well, which seems like the 86. Like someone else here, a lot of it was through e-QIP, so different format. (I also had paper forms to fill out.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: USAO Clearance Form

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I spoke with an AUSA this week about the background check. The only drug-related *automatic* ding was post-bar drug use. Now, I can't imagine they'd love to see pre-bar drug use, and if it was extensive enough I'd imagine it could ding you, but it's not automatic. (InGoodFaith wrote "prior drug use isn't an automatic disqualifier," which isn't quite the same as the anon's "It is indeed an automatic ding to have recent drugs.")

(The other auto-dings were financial - late payment of taxes, failure to pay taxes, failure to pay student loans. I'd imagine tax fraud counts as failure to pay?)

Of course, I have no idea if different districts have different policies, but I don't think so, because the AUSA made it sound like they sent all the checks to a central place, and that central unit set the policy.

[edited to add after kalvano posted: and yeah, I'd imagine they treat different drugs differently when they're considering the case-by-case basis.]


Did you learn anything about standard forms?

No, sorry; I know I had to fill one out for a previous internship there, but I don't remember which one it was. Is there some significant difference between them all?

Edited: honestly, I'm not sure it was any of the forms the OP listed - the 85P seems closest, but I know I got asked about foreign contacts as well, which seems like the 86. Like someone else here, a lot of it was through e-QIP, so different format. (I also had paper forms to fill out.)


Thanks.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.