NLRB Honors Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:they are waiting for the resolution of the fiscal cliff before they can give offers. could be months.

Interesting. I didn't get that impression at all from OGC - they suggested they were going to move quickly to make offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:they are waiting for the resolution of the fiscal cliff before they can give offers. could be months.

Interesting. I didn't get that impression at all from OGC - they suggested they were going to move quickly to make offers.

I was told they have authority to interview but no authority to hire at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was told they have authority to interview but no authority to hire at this point.

Was this a regional office? The three branches seem to handle their hiring quite differently/independently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Was this a regional office? The three branches seem to handle their hiring quite differently/independently.

Different poster, but I heard it was for the entire Honors Program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was told they have authority to interview but no authority to hire at this point.

Intriguing. I find it really odd no one breathed a word about that in my interview (which was yesterday), but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was told they have authority to interview but no authority to hire at this point.

Intriguing. I find it really odd no one breathed a word about that in my interview (which was yesterday), but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Did they mention when they were making decisions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where did you hear this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where did you hear this?

a professor I am close with was told this by someone fairly high up in hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did they mention when they were making decisions?

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this. They had asked me where else I was applying, and they told me that if I got another offer to tell them, because they hoped to move quickly to make offers. So obviously nothing specific, but nothing that said "we don't have authority to hire," either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:34 pm

One of my references just e-mailed me to let me know that they'd been contacted by OGC. (I'm going to be withdrawing because I accepted another position - just completely forgot to do so before now! - but thought people might want to know there's some movement.)

Edited to say: perhaps obviously, I wasn't one of the people who had references checked before the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Nice! Congrats - did you end up going with another agency or private sector?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nice! Congrats - did you end up going with another agency or private sector?

Thanks! Another agency.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Has anyone heard of any news lately? I got an official denial letter from NLRB - GC, but haven't heard anything from the other two branches. I wonder how the debt ceiling, fiscal cliff aversion, etc. is impacting hiring decisions?

mmg3327

Postby mmg3327 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I was told that they won't be able to make any hiring decisions at least until the sequester is resolved. Given today's D.C. Circuit decision, I think it might actually be a lot longer than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:31 pm

So this program is definitely not happening anymore after the sequester, debt ceiling, etc., right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:So this program is definitely not happening anymore after the sequester, debt ceiling, etc., right?

I know someone who got an offer from the Board Members-side before the sequester. As with any Honors Program though, the "offer" isn't official until you actually start working, meaning it can be withdrawn at any time (i.e. hiring funds get pulled). I haven't heard anything about the GC/Regional offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I meant to specify for Regional Offices. I think the funding for the Honors Program differs according to office. So Board side may have money while regional offices may not.

mmg3327

Postby mmg3327 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:34 pm

I can confirm that at least some Regional offices are still going through the interviewing and hiring process. The offices with which I recently interviewed said they expected to make an offer in May.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 pm

At last check, I heard that it's completely dependent upon what's going on in Washington. At least for the regional office I interviewed with.

Return to “Legal Employment”