NLRB Honors Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:15 am

Got a DC area code phone call at 10am ... turned out to be a call asking if I was interested in refinancing my home. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got a DC area code phone call at 10am ... turned out to be a call asking if I was interested in refinancing my home. :|

well are you? how were the rates?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:25 pm

I heard from an NLRB attorney that their Honors Program has been indefinitely halted. It may resume pending a positive determination of the Agency's budget. Very confused how someone would have gotten a call from HQ about setting up an interview. Maybe they want to interview people now, just in case they get the green light?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard from an NLRB attorney that their Honors Program has been indefinitely halted. It may resume pending a positive determination of the Agency's budget. Very confused how someone would have gotten a call from HQ about setting up an interview. Maybe they want to interview people now, just in case they get the green light?

Hmmm. That's certainly discouraging. (I'm the person who got a call yesterday.) Maybe different parts of the NLRB are taking different paths? My call was from OGC specifically, not the Office of the Board. But I will certainly ask them about it!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Yeah, definitely ask. Perhaps OGC is different than field offices and Office of the Board. I thought they were all part of the Honors Program hiring though. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Really wonder what's happening here, as my references have been getting calls but I haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:46 pm

calls from NLRB? where did you interview (OGC, field, etc.) ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 pm

another regional office is interviewing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, definitely ask. Perhaps OGC is different than field offices and Office of the Board. I thought they were all part of the Honors Program hiring though. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

They're effectively 3 separate honors programs in that your chances are independent for each branch. For a while before they went to online applications, you had to submit paper applications to each branch. I was rejected by OGC HQ (the rotation program) but got an offer from one of the field offices; my friend got offers from both Board and OGC HQ. The field offices are organizationally under OGC, but screening/interviewing is largely done by the field offices themselves with final approval by HQ.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, definitely ask. Perhaps OGC is different than field offices and Office of the Board. I thought they were all part of the Honors Program hiring though. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

They're effectively 3 separate honors programs in that your chances are independent for each branch. For a while before they went to online applications, you had to submit paper applications to each branch. I was rejected by OGC HQ (the rotation program) but got an offer from one of the field offices; my friend got offers from both Board and OGC HQ. The field offices are organizationally under OGC, but screening/interviewing is largely done by the field offices themselves with final approval by HQ.

awesome info, thanks! I'm guessing this was from years past; what was the timeline like?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really wonder what's happening here, as my references have been getting calls but I haven't heard anything.

That is really strange. I've never heard of any federal honors programs (including NLRB, where I used to work, and the other agency that I'm currently doing interviews for) checking references before the interview, much less interview offer.

Did you intern with the NLRB? The only reason I can see them calling references is if they really don't have time to interview and they're calling a colleague at the Board about you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:26 pm

my references were called about a week before I was invited to interview (with a different branch than called my references). I am confused generally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really wonder what's happening here, as my references have been getting calls but I haven't heard anything.

That is really strange. I've never heard of any federal honors programs (including NLRB, where I used to work, and the other agency that I'm currently doing interviews for) checking references before the interview, much less interview offer.

Did you intern with the NLRB? The only reason I can see them calling references is if they really don't have time to interview and they're calling a colleague at the Board about you.

Some of the components in the DOJ Honors Program this year have called references before selecting people to interview - the theory is that there are so many applicants that they wanted the extra information to be able to narrow down the pool for interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Apparently you can be REALLY selective when thousands of people apply to an honors program that may be hiring no one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for this info. This whole process is confusing. My references were not called before I was asked to interview at one of the field offices. I guess they all do it differently. Looks like so far, people have been invited to interview with field offices and OGC.

Anyone one else have info on a potential hiring freeze for the Honors Program?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for this info. This whole process is confusing. My references were not called before I was asked to interview at one of the field offices. I guess they all do it differently. Looks like so far, people have been invited to interview with field offices and OGC.

Anyone one else have info on a potential hiring freeze for the Honors Program?

I don't know anything about the potential hiring freeze, but just wanted to note that (as far as I know) my references weren't contacted before I got the OGC interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Thought i'd share my experience with the NLRB honors hiring process this year, for anyone who is waiting to hear:

I believe most of the field offices have already contacted the people they're interviewing this honors cycle. I was contacted by two regions in October (first and last weeks) and from what they've told me they'll be making offers Thanksgiving through December. I think the general counsel's office may have already contacted everyone they're interviewing too- I heard from them about a week ago. For all I know the offices could all be on different schedules or still setting up interviews but the 3 offices that contacted me were all on schedule to interview in Oct-Nov and make offers in Nov-Dec.

Both field offices I interviewed with said they selected interviewees from honors applicants who listed their office in their top five.

Didn't hear anything from the Board office so who knows where they are in the process.

*Edit: Heard nothing about a hiring freeze, but I also didn't ask about it. They seemed pretty certain they were hiring

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:38 am

I guess all we can do is wait until people get offers. For what it's worth, I interviewed and am at a T20 with top 40%, journal, labor and employment experience. Hoping for an offer. I'd accept on the spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thought i'd share my experience with the NLRB honors hiring process this year, for anyone who is waiting to hear:

I believe most of the field offices have already contacted the people they're interviewing this honors cycle. I was contacted by two regions in October (first and last weeks) and from what they've told me they'll be making offers Thanksgiving through December. I think the general counsel's office may have already contacted everyone they're interviewing too- I heard from them about a week ago. For all I know the offices could all be on different schedules or still setting up interviews but the 3 offices that contacted me were all on schedule to interview in Oct-Nov and make offers in Nov-Dec.

Both field offices I interviewed with said they selected interviewees from honors applicants who listed their office in their top five.

Didn't hear anything from the Board office so who knows where they are in the process.

*Edit: Heard nothing about a hiring freeze, but I also didn't ask about it. They seemed pretty certain they were hiring

Have you heard anything about offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

OGC hasn't finished its interviewing yet. (Can't speak to the rest.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Do anyone know if all field offices have selected people to interview? Or which field offices have interviewed people?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For a while before they went to online applications, you had to submit paper applications to each branch. I was rejected by OGC HQ (the rotation program) but got an offer from one of the field offices; my friend got offers from both Board and OGC HQ.

awesome info, thanks! I'm guessing this was from years past; what was the timeline like?

I forgot when apps were due when I applied, though since it was all on paper back then, the app deadline might have been earlier. I got the interview offer and had the interview the week before Xmas. During the interview, they told me they had to make a decision by the end of the year (within two weeks). However, they didn't actually give me the decision until the end of January :-/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do anyone know if all field offices have selected people to interview? Or which field offices have interviewed people?

Not sure about other regional offices, but I interviewed with one of the California offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do anyone know if all field offices have selected people to interview? Or which field offices have interviewed people?

Not sure about other regional offices, but I interviewed with one of the California offices.

also at least one greater NY area

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 pm

they are waiting for the resolution of the fiscal cliff before they can give offers. could be months.

Return to “Legal Employment”