NLRB Honors Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I know the application was just due a few days ago, but has anyone received heard anything about an interview yet? I submitted my application in mid-August.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:32 am

I applied last week (? just before the deadline - I forget exactly). Anyway, the receipt e-mail I got said something along the lines of, We really really hope we can hire but our budget isn't final yet, so we don't really know, and if we can't hire anyone this year we'll write back and let you know. (Obviously it sounded fancier than that.) So it didn't sound like they had done much yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:46 am

in the past they've hired either no one or a very small class, and it's been more budget-dependent than some other honors programs seem to be.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied last week (? just before the deadline - I forget exactly). Anyway, the receipt e-mail I got said something along the lines of, We really really hope we can hire but our budget isn't final yet, so we don't really know, and if we can't hire anyone this year we'll write back and let you know. (Obviously it sounded fancier than that.) So it didn't sound like they had done much yet.


That's odd - my email receipt said no such thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:31 pm

This was the exact language:
Please note, however, that while we are currently accepting applications, due to budgetary uncertainties, we do not yet know whether, and to what degree, we will fill positions in the Program. You will be notified in the future if the decision is made that we will not be hiring under this Program for this fiscal year.

E-mail was from October 12.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This was the exact language:
Please note, however, that while we are currently accepting applications, due to budgetary uncertainties, we do not yet know whether, and to what degree, we will fill positions in the Program. You will be notified in the future if the decision is made that we will not be hiring under this Program for this fiscal year.

E-mail was from October 12.

Strange. This is the email that I got (on Oct 13th) acknowledging receipt of the application. No other emails before or since.

Thank you for applying for a position as an Honors Attorney at the National Labor Relations Board. Your application has been received and will be considered. Should we decide an interview is appropriate, we will contact you at a later date. Thank you again for your interest in the NLRB's Honors Program. Your confirmation number is 2013-XXXXXX. The Honors Committees National Labor Relations Board

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This was the exact language:
Please note, however, that while we are currently accepting applications, due to budgetary uncertainties, we do not yet know whether, and to what degree, we will fill positions in the Program. You will be notified in the future if the decision is made that we will not be hiring under this Program for this fiscal year.

E-mail was from October 12.

Strange. This is the email that I got (on Oct 13th) acknowledging receipt of the application. No other emails before or since.

Thank you for applying for a position as an Honors Attorney at the National Labor Relations Board. Your application has been received and will be considered. Should we decide an interview is appropriate, we will contact you at a later date. Thank you again for your interest in the NLRB's Honors Program. Your confirmation number is 2013-XXXXXX. The Honors Committees National Labor Relations Board

Yeah, I got that one the first time I uploaded my app. It turned out the computer ate my files, so they had to email me (after I got the auto-reply) to tell me to resubmit them. Which I did, and the next day I got the email I quoted. It may have just been they needed to send another response to let me know the application was complete?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I was told by someone in a field office that they don't know whether there will be honors hiring this year yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told by someone in a field office that they don't know whether there will be honors hiring this year yet.

Well, that would suck. Not that I have a great chance, and it totally doesn't surprise me, but still - suckage.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Received email to schedule interview for one of the Regional Offices. Sorry to be vague, just don't want to out myself as I don't think many of the regional offices have begun interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received email to schedule interview for one of the Regional Offices. Sorry to be vague, just don't want to out myself as I don't think many of the regional offices have begun interviews.

Congrats!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:52 pm

I received an e-mail with the same language about budget uncertainties shortly after I received the automatic response with the confirmation number. The budget uncertainties e-mail also had a line about me being a strong applicant, but I thought they might send that to everyone. Is that not true?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received an e-mail with the same language about budget uncertainties shortly after I received the automatic response with the confirmation number. The budget uncertainties e-mail also had a line about me being a strong applicant, but I thought they might send that to everyone. Is that not true?

Did it say, "We are fortunate to receive applications from excellent candidates such as yourself"? Because if so, they send that to everyone (at least, I got it, too - I'm the anon who posted the e-mail excerpt above, I just didn't post the whole thing). I'm sure they don't look at the applications before sending out the budget uncertainties e-mail.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received an e-mail with the same language about budget uncertainties shortly after I received the automatic response with the confirmation number. The budget uncertainties e-mail also had a line about me being a strong applicant, but I thought they might send that to everyone. Is that not true?

Did it say, "We are fortunate to receive applications from excellent candidates such as yourself"? Because if so, they send that to everyone (at least, I got it, too - I'm the anon who posted the e-mail excerpt above, I just didn't post the whole thing). I'm sure they don't look at the applications before sending out the budget uncertainties e-mail.

I never got that email, so apparently not everyone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 pm

You should have gotten it about a day after the confirmation email. The entire "Application under review" email said:

Thank you for applying for a position as an Honors Attorney at the National Labor Relations Board. We are fortunate to receive applications from excellent candidates such as yourself. Your application has been received and will be considered by the specific Honors Program or Programs to which you have applied. Should we decide an interview is appropriate, we will contact you at a later date. Please note, however, that while we are currently accepting applications, due to budgetary uncertainties, we do not yet know whether, and to what degree, we will fill positions in the Program. You will be notified in the future if the decision is made that we will not be hiring under this Program for this fiscal year.

Thank you again for your interest in the NLRB's Honors Program.

The Honors Committee
National Labor Relations Board

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Has anyone besides the one anon poster above heard about interviews yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 am

I haven't. But that may just mean I'm not getting one. :P

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Anyone know the prospects of lateraling to a NLRB field office from another bigfed OGC? I have some labor law exposure in my job (though it is federal unions). Working as a field attorney seems like one of the more interesting jobs in federal government.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 am

to the above poster- I think that is a question better asked in another thread. This one is for those of us anxiously awaiting to hear about our honors applications.

I still haven't heard anything either. Though I know that each office has hundreds of applications to read through. Has anyone besides that 1 poster had any luck? I wonder if all the weather events have had any impact..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 pm

I still haven't heard anything. Mind you, I'm not especially hopeful about my chances, so that doesn't mean nothing's been happening... but am really hoping the poster above was correct that most offices hadn't started interviewing!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm hoping too- but don't they make decisions december/january? I guess they can make decisions quickly though. I am just antsy, I really want this. I talk myself up and down 3 times a day. I have no idea what a "good chance" of getting an interview is...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:41 pm

I've heard that many government employers were waiting for election results before going forward with the hiring process. We'll see if that's right. Also, a budget of some kind would most likely influence govt employers' decisions.

I'm hoping that more of us will hear soon? The wait is killing me though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:33 pm

anyone heard from headquarters?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Nope - Haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB Honors Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Just got a call from headquarters for an interview.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.