employment or internship at accounting firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goosey

employment or internship at accounting firm?

Postby goosey » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:39 pm

i have no accounting bg and got interested in tax while in law school--wondering if anyone has any info on employment or just internships at accounting firms? not necessarily big 4--i am trying to get into the nyu llm [top 34% at brooklyn law school] and looking for guidance

Anonymous User

Re: employment or internship at accounting firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:27 pm

goosey wrote:i have no accounting bg and got interested in tax while in law school--wondering if anyone has any info on employment or just internships at accounting firms? not necessarily big 4--i am trying to get into the nyu llm [top 34% at brooklyn law school] and looking for guidance

PwC, NY has started hiring freshly-minted JD's in tax as 2L's. The others typically want to see a completed LLM or an accounting background. I guess they decided to start bringing in 2L's for internships because they thought it would give them an edge in getting talent, so they aren't simply the choice of last resort of those who graduate unemployed and go for an LLM. I have seen them bring in 3L's who did well in tax classes also. However, I go to a T16, and the 2 2L's they hired this year were both on Law Review and had struck out.

If tax is your thing, you might be out-earning your big law classmates in just a few years, given the decline of the legal market and the growing demand by rich people for experts to help them hide their money from the 'Obamanation.'

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
goosey wrote:i have no accounting bg and got interested in tax while in law school--wondering if anyone has any info on employment or just internships at accounting firms? not necessarily big 4--i am trying to get into the nyu llm [top 34% at brooklyn law school] and looking for guidance

PwC, NY has started hiring freshly-minted JD's in tax as 2L's. The others typically want to see a completed LLM or an accounting background. I guess they decided to start bringing in 2L's for internships because they thought it would give them an edge in getting talent, so they aren't simply the choice of last resort of those who graduate unemployed and go for an LLM. I have seen them bring in 3L's who did well in tax classes also. However, I go to a T16, and the 2 2L's they hired this year were both on Law Review and had struck out.

If tax is your thing, you might be out-earning your big law classmates in just a few years, given the decline of the legal market and the growing demand by rich people for experts to help them hide their money from the 'Obamanation.'

Msg. me

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Msg me

Return to “Legal Employment”