Didn't Pass Bar in July-Deciding about career plans next yea

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Didn't Pass Bar in July-Deciding about career plans next yea

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:00 am

So, I need advice from anyone willing to provide it. Here's the story:

Graduate of T20 with a fairly good GPA, lots of work experience, currently in a judicial clerkship in Delaware.
So what's the problem: Didn't pass the Delaware bar (which is both hard/ low passage rate, and only offered once a year).
I need to figure out what to do next. Definitely up for taking the Delaware bar again next year-and plan to take a bar in February. But I also need to figure out ASAP, if I want to request to extend my clerkship here another year-or take a chance that I either don't pass whatever other state bar I take, or don't find a job after this. Don't get me wrong I like my clerkship, but it is hard to imagine sort of just waiting around a year and not progressing. I worked a ton during law school and so feel like I am ready to be an actual lawyer at some point soon. But I dont want to run the risk of having no employment at all.

I have worked and networked hard core in the DC/VA/MD area.
I have also developed a good network up in Delaware. I also own a house here. And would definitely love to stay.

Anyone else have a similar situation? What did you decide to do? What would you suggest for someone in my shoes?

lolwat

Re: Didn't Pass Bar in July-Deciding about career plans next yea

Postby lolwat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I would probably at least see if a year's extention to the clerkship is possible... it probably depends on whether your judge has already hired and whatnot. Maybe you don't have to decide on it right away and can decide next year after you have February bar results. If you're able to wait until that timeframe you should also have a decent idea of whether you'll have a job. I don't know about the specific markets you're interested in but I know biglaw tends to look at clerk applications in the Winter/Spring. So, by sometime March/April or something you should have an idea of (a) whether you have a job and (b) whether you've passed a bar.

Also, do you know why you didn't pass? For example, I think California sends people who didn't pass the bar their essays and scores. You did well enough in law school that you should've passed the bar, so I assume there's something specific to that bar that just messed you up. Whether it's a specific few questions, or the practical portion, or the MBE portion. The point is, if you do know what you did wrong, taking and passing the bar the second time around should be easier, especially if you get kind of a head start on studying since you have less time (during a clerkship).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:24 pm

OP here:

Yes, I do know why I didn't pass. Besides just being a generally hard exam this year, I never could seem to master the MBE. Plus, I bought a house and moved during the summer-which was quite a distraction at some points. I did well in school, and I know what the trouble area was, so I am sure I will pass next time.

The trouble is, this court normally starts interviewing at the beginning of next month with offers late in the month. So they need to know fairly soon, say in the next few weeks, if I want to stay.

Obviously this decision will have to be made well in advance of the next opportunity to take the Delaware bar-which is only offered once yearly in july. The decision will also have to come well before I take any additional bar exams-or know about passage.

So I guess the issue is stay, and the only risk is that I may regret it if I got an offer later in the year, or not stay and risk not getting any job. Maybe I am being irrational, but I feel like with a T20 degree, clerkship, fairly good grades and lots of work experience, I should be able to get at least a moderately good job if I pass the bar somewhere.

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 am

Return to “Legal Employment”