best big law work/balance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gaucholaw

best big law work/balance

Postby gaucholaw » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 am

I am looking for a big law firm in NYC, that specializes in litigation .... and most importantly allows a work/life balance. I'm fine working 60 hours a week... but I also want to have my weekends to myself

DCDuck

Re: best big law work/balance

Postby DCDuck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:26 am

Doesn't exist. Sometimes, especially in litigation, you need to work weekends. (And 60 hours is a good week).

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:30 am

They don't just give away $160K paychecks, you'll earn every penny

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 am

thegrayman wrote:They don't just give away $160K paychecks, you'll earn every penny

At least in every NYC law firm I've heard of. If you weren't married to NYC then you could find places that 60 hrs would be a normal work week. I interviewed at a Texas firm and the associate said he hadn't worked a weekend in 2 months.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:37 am

Very anecdotal, but the biglaw guys I know from california complain about how much they have to work but then say that they have absolutely no idea how anyone could do nyc.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:28 am

I get that NYC biglaw = long hours, but I think TLS takes it a little too far. I talked to dozens of lawyers who had lateralled out of the V10 or V20 to V50 or V100 and said their lives changed significantly. So you will still work long hours, but I think TLS could be a little more helpful in explaining even the minor differences in hours that, in reality, probably make large differences in QOL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:55 am

gaucholaw wrote:I am looking for a big law firm in NYC, that specializes in litigation .... and most importantly allows a work/life balance. I'm fine working 60 hours a week... but I also want to have my weekends to myself

Define what biglaw means to you for us, no? 100 lawyers? 500 lawyers? 1000 lawyers? Partners get a lot of time to work from home (and some senior associates, too) but junior or new associates.....not that I've seen

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:15 am

You should just tell the interviewer in your screeners that you're looking for the firm with the best work-life balance and ask if they are that firm.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 am

In all seriousness, if you're concerned about your weekends I would recommend working in government.

Wile E.

Postby Wile E. » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:20 am

Kansas City

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:21 am

Lincoln wrote:In all seriousness, if you're concerned about your weekends I would recommend working in government.

Also recommended if you like hour lunches and leaving at 5.

ajax

Postby ajax » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:56 am

Some biglaw firms do indeed work their associates much less than others. As much as 20 billables less / week. I am a 0L but have 5 plus close relationships working in NYC biglaw. Some are much busier than others. From what I gather a lot of it depends on practice area.

MESSAGE FROM THE MOD SQUAD TO 0L'S (as taken from the rules at the header of this forum)
TLSofficial wrote:Welcome to the Legal Employment Forum. This forum is for current law students and graduates to discuss legal employment-related issues. Please observe the following rules while posting here:

0Ls, read this first:

If you're a 0L wanting advice from current law students and graduates, we've set up a new forum just for you, which you can find here: viewforum.php?f=4

It's called "Ask a Law Student / Graduate", and it's a place for 0Ls to ask current law students questions without disturbing the "Students and Graduates" forums. Post all your questions there, including about things like classes, grades, transferring, employment, etc. Please do not continue posting your questions here in the Students and Graduates forums, as doing so might get you banned and/or your thread locked.

If you are a 0L, then use caution before posting, if you argue or post blatantly inaccurate information you may be banned for trolling.

Thank you for your understanding.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:01 am

gaucholaw wrote:I am looking for a big law firm in NYC, that specializes in litigation .... and most importantly allows a work/life balance. I'm fine working 60 hours a week... but I also want to have my weekends to myself

You're likely not going to find this in NYC.

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/C ... e_hour.pdf

12 Hours / Day for 5 Days / Week gets you to 1997 hours billed per year. Considering most firms have a target of 2000-2100 minimum hours, you're going to need to work more than 60 hours a week, which means more than 12 hours / weekday or coming in on some weekends.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 am

bhan87 wrote:

12 Hours / Day for 5 Days / Week gets you to 1997 hours billed per year. Considering most firms have a target of 2000-2100 minimum hours, you're going to need to work more than 60 hours a week, which means more than 12 hours / weekday or coming in on some weekends.

Makes a lot of unrealistic assumptions. I almost always eat lunch while working, for example.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm

bhan87 wrote:

I'd take anything Yaleol says about Big Law with a grain of salt. What is it now? 20, 30% of graduates go to firm jobs?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 pm

A casual reminder to 0Ls: this forum is for law students.

Return to “Legal Employment”