Lying about landing big law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Chickensoup

Re: Lying about landing big law?

Postby Chickensoup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:18 am

MikeSpivey wrote:He has a long life ahead of him if he doesn't mature.

Having read this board since its inception, I have always been amused as the percentage of LSAT scores reported here relative to the percentage of test takers who score in the 170s.

+1

I couldn't agree more. Me thinks that people are reporting practice tests or what they "think" they will get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:31 am

Yeah, you guys are being mean. They are obviously going through a tough time. What are you getting out of spreading these stories online and calling these people sick/stupid?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:42 am

I recall this particularly awful girl at my LS who was on law review telling everyone that would listen about how career services is knocking down the door of her (and the other Law review winners at my TTT Law school) "forcing" them to apply to big law and how she was going to do it and was so sure that she would have her pick. She works at a rural small law firm that seems to be some sort of mortgage refi mill.

Law schools students at all levels of schools are fucking insane and say all sorts of crazy shit for no good reason at all. Its the nature of the beast. In my 4th year of practice now and I still feel that half the attorneys I meet are from different planets. They all lie about prestige (the less they have the more they focus on it). Typically, the "best" and most succesful lawyers are the ones that blend in and avoid such silly games.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 am

to chip in on the "talking about summer job discussion", i'm uncomfortable enough as it is w/r/t my classmates that i didn't put anything about my job on facebook or twitter exactly for that reason. just a personal preference, though. i also haven't seen ANYTHING about summer jobs from my classmates on there.

(because no one has jobs! heyooooo)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:51 am

HeavenWood wrote:This. I congratulated a couple people I'm on friendly terms with when I heard they had offers, and the ensuing conversation was generally very brief. If you feel comfortable talking in detail about things like jobs and grades with more than a handful of people, you're way too open a book.

so I am both an ass and an open book? :wink:

I asked everyone I recognize where they are going, I suppose I just don't know any manners!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 am

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:This. I congratulated a couple people I'm on friendly terms with when I heard they had offers, and the ensuing conversation was generally very brief. If you feel comfortable talking in detail about things like jobs and grades with more than a handful of people, you're way too open a book.

I asked everyone I recognize where they are going, I suppose I just don't know any manners!

it doesn't make you wrong, it just makes you an asshole

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 am

r6_philly wrote:

I predicted with scary accuracy what your post would say when I saw you posted in here

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 am

KidStuddi wrote:
Uh, you do know that striking out at OCI isn't the end of all legal employment ever, right? The question isn't "how many offers did you get out of OCI," it's "Have plans for next summer?" Unless you drop out of law school, you're going to be doing something next summer, even if it is your second option.

This is what I ask. You shouldn't assume all your classmates wants to do what you do and that they value an offer the same as you value one. It's more about how you ask and who's doing the asking than the actual question.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:55 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

But that would be very far from the truth. Just goes to show these categorical statements don't work.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 am

IAFG wrote:I predicted with scary accuracy what your post would say when I saw you posted in here

Ha I am impressed!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 am

r6_philly wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

But that would be very far from the truth. Just goes to show these categorical statements don't work.

TBF you're an exception to most every rule.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:01 am

r6_philly wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:
Uh, you do know that striking out at OCI isn't the end of all legal employment ever, right? The question isn't "how many offers did you get out of OCI," it's "Have plans for next summer?" Unless you drop out of law school, you're going to be doing something next summer, even if it is your second option.

This is what I ask. You shouldn't assume all your classmates wants to do what you do and that they value an offer the same as you value one. It's more about how you ask and who's doing the asking than the actual question.

Really, it's about what the answer is.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 am

"Never ask a man if he is from Sparta: If he were, he would have let you know such an important fact - and if he were not, you could hurt his feelings."

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 am

I see both sides of this discussion. On the one hand, jobs are obviously a very sensitive, very stressful situation for a lot of law students ITE, and people should tread lightly when talking about jerbs. But at the same time, work is one of the most basic and common topics to discuss in a conversation in general, so it is bound to come up. To draw this categorical rule that you're just an asshole to even talk to someone about jobs is way too touchy.

Like most sensitive topics in life, its all about context. Prying with people right after OCI is bad form, but I think asking someone in the spring "What are you doing this summer?" is pretty standard. It was also a very common question after people got back in the fall of 3L year (i.e., "How was your summer?" ---> "Where were you at?") There's also a real difference between asking it in a "Where are you working this summer so that I can judge your worth as a law student?" way vs. asking the "What are you up to this summer?" question because you're a normal person having a normal conversation and genuinely interested in the other person.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:08 am

IAFG wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I predicted with scary accuracy what your post would say when I saw you posted in here

that makes two of us

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:11 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:"Never ask a man if he is from Sparta: If he were, he would have let you know such an important fact - and if he were not, you could hurt his feelings."

Don't ask leading questions. Ask "have you decided on what you are doing next summer?" Don't ask "did you decide what firm you are going to?"

BTW, more than half of my fellow classmates starts the conversation by asking me "so are you an LLM?" I don't really feel that too many people understand how other people's feelings work.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 am

romothesavior wrote:I see both sides of this discussion. On the one hand, jobs are obviously a very sensitive, very stressful situation for a lot of law students ITE, and people should tread lightly when talking about jerbs. But at the same time, work is one of the most basic and common topics to discuss in a conversation in general, so it is bound to come up. To draw this categorical rule that you're just an asshole to even talk to someone about jobs is way too touchy.

Like most sensitive topics in life, its all about context. Prying with people right after OCI is bad form, but I think asking someone in the spring "What are you doing this summer?" is pretty standard. It was also a very common question after people got back in the fall of 3L year (i.e., "How was your summer?" ---> "Where were you at?") There's also a real difference between asking it in a "Where are you working this summer so that I can judge your worth as a law student?" way vs. asking the "What are you up to this summer?" question because you're a normal person having a normal conversation and genuinely interested in the other person.

Agree 100%. It just can't be the rule that you can't talk about jobs. That defies the realities of human interaction.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:13 am

r6_philly wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:"Never ask a man if he is from Sparta: If he were, he would have let you know such an important fact - and if he were not, you could hurt his feelings."

Don't ask leading questions. Ask "have you decided on what you are doing next summer?" Don't ask "did you decide what firm you are going to?"

BTW, more than half of my fellow classmates starts the conversation by asking me "so are you an LLM?" I don't really feel that too many people understand how other people's feelings work.

there are enough other topics i'm capable of talking about that i can comfortably ignore the subject unless the other person brings it up. jobs are also difficult to come by at my TTT and so the risk of possibly offending them is higher.

eta: i also concur with romo's approach
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:13 am

r6_philly wrote:Don't ask leading questions. Ask "have you decided on what you are doing next summer?" Don't ask "did you decide what firm you are going to?"

So treat it like a direct examination? Trial advocacy has taught you well. ;)

r6_philly wrote:BTW, more than half of my fellow classmates starts the conversation by asking me "so are you an LLM?" I don't really feel that too many people understand how other people's feelings work.

Seriously? :lol:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 am

romothesavior wrote:I see both sides of this discussion. On the one hand, jobs are obviously a very sensitive, very stressful situation for a lot of law students ITE, and people should tread lightly when talking about jerbs. But at the same time, work is one of the most basic and common topics to discuss in a conversation in general, so it is bound to come up. To draw this categorical rule that you're just an asshole to even talk to someone about jobs is way too touchy.

When people ask, I normally go with "Living with my parents."

That normally shuts em up.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
there are enough other topics i'm capable of talking about that i can comfortably ignore the subject unless the other person brings it up. jobs are also difficult to come by at my TTT and so the risk of possibly offending them is higher.

eta: i also concur with romo's approach

I understand that, it's just that being overly sensitive about the fact that one didn't get the job is the last thing you want to feel when you are still looking for a job. If one can't maintain confidence level despite the fact that one struck out, it is going to be hard to convince someone to hire you. Just my opinion.

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Last edited by okinawa on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:31 pm

So much this. As has been noted before, asking about job stuff during most of 2L fall semester is essentially the same thing as asking "HAY DO YOU HAVE A TOOL ESSAY?!?!"

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:35 pm

okinawa wrote:I've never found it particularly awkward to ask someone if they have plans, or more likely if they are staying in X city after graduation. most people just tell you at that point if they are going back to their firm or are still looking. actually most of my friends who are still looking will bring up how it's going, where they are applying, etc. on a regular basis. they are still people and it's not like they have to hide their 'shame' of not going back to a firm by refusing to talk about jobs ever until the unspeakable stench of unemployment has lifted.

the difference here is that you are talking to your friends. you aren't one of those people who are like "Hey I never talked to you in our section, but I know your face. What firm are you working at?" I think thats what we're talking about, because those people are definitely out there.

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:50 pm

IAFG wrote:People touch my pregnant belly without asking. Their action does not establish a new social convention about belly rubbing. Professors are a different matter obviously.

It, just, like.... beckons, you know?...

Return to “Legal Employment”