Teaching English abroad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Teaching English abroad

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 am

3L seeking employment. Is this possible after law school with significant student loans? And would it necessarily mean leaving law forever, or is it possible that future legal employers might value language skills? Just pondering alternative career paths.

Olive

Re: Teaching English abroad

Postby Olive » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 am

Fulbright grants might be an option. They are open to JDs.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L seeking employment. Is this possible after law school with significant student loans? And would it necessarily mean leaving law forever, or is it possible that future legal employers might value language skills? Just pondering alternative career paths.

If you need the skinny on teaching abroad, pm me as I'm doing it right now.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:07 am

It's not a career, it's an alternative to slinging joe at starbucks. It pays shit, has no future or advancement. It's a classic, "I'm running away" move.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:54 am

It should qualify you to teach at a university in Korea or China, which is a decent paying job where you don't do too much, but also not a lot of upward mobility. If you don't have a ton of debt, might not be bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:19 am

You can make a career in standardized testing instruction. Just esl...probably not. It attracts dregs of drunken losers.

New Oriental and other corporations that focus on standardized testing also sometimes promote foreigners into management positions in their Beijing HQ. New Oriental trades on the NY Stock Exchange. I'd say ... not shabby. But I am sure most law graduates could do better, even abroad. Get your CPA and do U.S. tax consulting work in China. Some companies will hire you for $60k to do that even with no experience, and 60k in China is wealthy. Visa sponsorship is easy as shit to get in China. You may want to start out teaching English till you learn the language and then move on something you can use your JD for.

PM for details.

Olive

Postby Olive » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:26 am

Also, I did this for a year and it was incredibly low-key and easy.
Pay wasn't grand but back then there we a lot of people looking for private lessons and I actually had to to turn people away I was so busy. I doubt that's the case now but it's still a fun program.

http://www.educacion.gob.es/eeuu/convoc ... -eeuu.html

Return to “Legal Employment”