Compliance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Compliance

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Just curious. What exactly is the connection compliance dept and law? Is the jd a good qualification?

minnbills

Re: Compliance

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious. What exactly is the connection compliance dept and law? Is the jd a good qualification?

I know someone who manages a compliance department. It's my understanding that it is jd required, could easily be wrong though.

Basically, your'e making sure the company is complying with the law to avoid lawsuits and the government breathing down your neck.
You can do very well, but the problem you'll face is that compliance departments are generally hated within companies because the compliance people are the ones who "say no" to everything and generally stifle sales. (at least that's the perception.) This can make it hard to advance past the compliance department itself or into other general business roles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:53 pm

What's the hours and salary like?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the hours and salary like?

Starting is probably in the 50-60k range. The person I know manages the compliance operations of a subsidiary of a f500 company.
She probably makes between 200-300k at the very most including stock options and bonus. Hours around 40 or 50 at most.

The hours are probably the biggest draw for that company. I have no idea what's typical outside of that company, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 am

What's the difference btw doing compliance and legal work at on these f500?

Return to “Legal Employment”