Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Historically, and I know it is RARE, but are there ever any Spring openings for summer SA's. I expect my GPA to boost me a little bit... and still hope.


In terms of big firms, checking last year's thread all I could find was one opening at Dickstein Shapiro for someone with a CPA and who was a Certified Fraud Examiner.

Yet didn't Dewey SAs get BigLaw jobs in April? Or am I completely wrong?


A lot if the Dewey kids did get another SA position after it went under but it was super stressful doing callbacks during spring final exam period. But as I am sure you know it isn't a comparable situation. For some reason (perhaps some firms just happened to need a few extra SAs or perhaps there was a rare bit of altruism) firms decided to break out of their normal pattern and do something kind. However the age-old adage that it is easier to get a job (or a boyfriend) when you have one applied to the Dewey kids. They were seen as unlucky but desirable candidates. I am not saying people who didn't land SAs are not desirable: there are many of them who I think would do great jobs and have great stats. But there is something in human psychology that makes people prefer things or people who other people already have or covet. It makes zero sense for firms to hire Dewey SAs in April randomly when they basically never hire the other amazing candidates available in April bc they missed the OCI boat.

Sorry if there are mistakes in this. I am on my phone and I have to turn it off right now. But everyone out there without an SA: keep your head up and keep spamming your résumé and beefing it up like crazy this year! If you are someone who just barely missed the OCI boat, I think you have a good chance of having a satisfying career!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Historically, and I know it is RARE, but are there ever any Spring openings for summer SA's. I expect my GPA to boost me a little bit... and still hope.


In terms of big firms, checking last year's thread all I could find was one opening at Dickstein Shapiro for someone with a CPA and who was a Certified Fraud Examiner.

Yet didn't Dewey SAs get BigLaw jobs in April? Or am I completely wrong?


A lot if the Dewey kids did get another SA position after it went under but it was super stressful doing callbacks during spring final exam period. But as I am sure you know it isn't a comparable situation. For some reason (perhaps some firms just happened to need a few extra SAs or perhaps there was a rare bit of altruism) firms decided to break out of their normal pattern and do something kind. However the age-old adage that it is easier to get a job (or a boyfriend) when you have one applied to the Dewey kids. They were seen as unlucky but desirable candidates. I am not saying people who didn't land SAs are not desirable: there are many of them who I think would do great jobs and have great stats. But there is something in human psychology that makes people prefer things or people who other people already have or covet. It makes zero sense for firms to hire Dewey SAs in April randomly when they basically never hire the other amazing candidates available in April bc they missed the OCI boat.

Sorry if there are mistakes in this. I am on my phone and I have to turn it off right now. But everyone out there without an SA: keep your head up and keep spamming your résumé and beefing it up like crazy this year! If you are someone who just barely missed the OCI boat, I think you have a good chance of having a satisfying career!


Yeah, I know firms aren't just hoarding spots waiting for the right resume. But I think (and I believe this is how one of the Dewey people got another SA) if you have a connection to a high enough partner they may be able to pull some strings. Though I have no proof it would work and the Dewey thing was a special circumstance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Foley & Lardner - Madison

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Historically, and I know it is RARE, but are there ever any Spring openings for summer SA's. I expect my GPA to boost me a little bit... and still hope.


In terms of big firms, checking last year's thread all I could find was one opening at Dickstein Shapiro for someone with a CPA and who was a Certified Fraud Examiner.

Yet didn't Dewey SAs get BigLaw jobs in April? Or am I completely wrong?


A lot if the Dewey kids did get another SA position after it went under but it was super stressful doing callbacks during spring final exam period. But as I am sure you know it isn't a comparable situation. For some reason (perhaps some firms just happened to need a few extra SAs or perhaps there was a rare bit of altruism) firms decided to break out of their normal pattern and do something kind. However the age-old adage that it is easier to get a job (or a boyfriend) when you have one applied to the Dewey kids. They were seen as unlucky but desirable candidates. I am not saying people who didn't land SAs are not desirable: there are many of them who I think would do great jobs and have great stats. But there is something in human psychology that makes people prefer things or people who other people already have or covet. It makes zero sense for firms to hire Dewey SAs in April randomly when they basically never hire the other amazing candidates available in April bc they missed the OCI boat.

Sorry if there are mistakes in this. I am on my phone and I have to turn it off right now. But everyone out there without an SA: keep your head up and keep spamming your résumé and beefing it up like crazy this year! If you are someone who just barely missed the OCI boat, I think you have a good chance of having a satisfying career!


Yeah, I know firms aren't just hoarding spots waiting for the right resume. But I think (and I believe this is how one of the Dewey people got another SA) if you have a connection to a high enough partner they may be able to pull some strings. Though I have no proof it would work and the Dewey thing was a special circumstance.


I was so wrong on the bolded point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Which part of the highlighted section were you wrong about? That firms still have positions or that there may a shot?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which part of the highlighted section were you wrong about? That firms still have positions or that there may a shot?


Both. I was recommended to the hiring partner at a V20 by a very large client (currently doing an IPO) and, even though he looked into it, they would not add a slot even in a one-off situation. That's not to say others won't have luck. It's just that it seems like firms set their requirements, hit them and move on.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Foley & Lardner - Madison


They filled the slot. Must have been an old posting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which part of the highlighted section were you wrong about? That firms still have positions or that there may a shot?


Both. I was recommended to the hiring partner at a V20 by a very large client (currently doing an IPO) and, even though he looked into it, they would not add a slot even in a one-off situation. That's not to say others won't have luck. It's just that it seems like firms set their requirements, hit them and move on.

law is remarkably meritocratic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Anyone have a list of the firms coming to Spring OCIs? Thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Spiegel & McDiarmid DC

Come on guys. Anything on your Symplicity?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Caplin & Drysdale (Washington, DC)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Caplin & Drysdale (Washington, DC)
Is this for a specific practice area? School range?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Caplin & Drysdale (Washington, DC)
Is this for a specific practice area? School range?


I did a screener for their tax program last week--supposedly they were doing two other on-campus programs and then starting cb this week so it might be school specific.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Global IP Law Group - Chicago

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 pm

2013 IP Summer Associate K&L Gates (San Francisco, CA)

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby target » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:2013 IP Summer Associate K&L Gates (San Francisco, CA)


Is this posted on your school's symplicity? If so, what school range?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:50 pm

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2013 IP Summer Associate K&L Gates (San Francisco, CA)


Is this posted on your school's symplicity? If so, what school range?


Yes it was. T14.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 pm

I guess that's it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess that's it.


Already sending those resumes to profs about being an RA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Thompson Hine - Cleveland. Posted a couple of weeks ago. They still might be looking.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby sparty99 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:57 am

tag

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:45 pm

bump. looking for SoCal in particular.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump. looking for SoCal in particular.


It's been dead on my T6 for a while now. PI or bust I guess.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 pm

MoloLamken looking for 2010, 2011, 2012 grads.

HYS simplicity.

Clerkship preferred.

Seems like a really sweet gig. New firm, small firm, pays very well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone still hiring SA's? Anything on anyone's simplicity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MoloLamken looking for 2010, 2011, 2012 grads.

HYS simplicity.

Clerkship preferred.

Seems like a really sweet gig. New firm, small firm, pays very well.


Maybe post on the 3L thread? We're looking for SAs.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.