Jumping groups

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jumping groups

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05 am

I have a 2L offer to work in a specific group. The firm doesn't do rotations. It's a large office of a large firm.

If I don't like the work and want to, say, change groups, do I bring that up over the summer? Should I wait until I'm a first-year associate?

Has anyone had experience with this?

ryanmot

Re: Jumping groups

Postby ryanmot » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:09 am

Every firm is different. Speak with the person in charge of the summer program if you think there is a shot. Did you say in your interviews that you wanted that group? If they made the offer decision based on that then you may have trouble.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:31 am

My firm also hires that way and one of the friendly associates took me aside at the beginning of the summer and said they no-offered the last SA for expressing interest in another group. If they specifically hired you for a group, I wouldn't even mention that you knew of another group until you have a permanent offer in hand.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:My firm also hires that way and one of the friendly associates took me aside at the beginning of the summer and said they no-offered the last SA for expressing interest in another group. If they specifically hired you for a group, I wouldn't even mention that you knew of another group until you have a permanent offer in hand.

Just hopping in here, but thanks for that heads up.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:25 pm

thelawyler wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:My firm also hires that way and one of the friendly associates took me aside at the beginning of the summer and said they no-offered the last SA for expressing interest in another group. If they specifically hired you for a group, I wouldn't even mention that you knew of another group until you have a permanent offer in hand.

Just hopping in here, but thanks for that heads up.

Besides my experience, there is a common sense aspect to it. If you're hired into a specific group, those are the people who will be reviewing your work. Do you really want your reviewers questioning your dedication to the thing they do as their job?

Return to “Legal Employment”