How do I not f**k this up?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DocHawkeye

How do I not f**k this up?

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:53 pm

So, here's the deal. I have a callback for a firm that I REALLY want to work for. Their main office is located in my hometown (a tiny, Midwestern "secondary" market), they offered associate positions to nearly all of last summers 2L summer class, etc, etc...

The wrinkle is that the callback is via Skype from their satellite office near my school. So basically, in addition to all of the callback "rules," what else do I have to do to not fuck up a Skype interview?

As I mentioned, I really want this job.

Really.

Re: How do I not fuck this up?

Postby 005618502 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:So, here's the deal. I have a callback for a firm that I REALLY want to work for. Their main office is located in my hometown (a tiny, Midwestern "secondary" market), they offered associate positions to nearly all of last summers 2L summer class, etc, etc...

The wrinkle is that the callback is via Skype from their satellite office near my school. So basically, in addition to all of the callback "rules," what else do I have to do to not fuck up a Skype interview?

Really.

If its with an office near your school.. why dont they just have you come in?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:04 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:So, here's the deal. I have a callback for a firm that I REALLY want to work for. Their main office is located in my hometown (a tiny, Midwestern "secondary" market), they offered associate positions to nearly all of last summers 2L summer class, etc, etc...

Really.

If its with an office near your school.. why dont they just have you come in?

OCI sreener was with the managing partner of the office near my school. Callback is with people in their home office, about 300 miles away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Skype interviews are weird because sometimes there is a time delay; be especially aware not to talk over the other person, which is easier to do without in person context clues. Still dress the same as if you had a normal interview. Speak more loudly, slightly slower and make sure it's clear. Make sure to sit up straight, and far enough back from the camera to show at least your shoulders.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:32 pm

honestly, you probably should have just insisted on flying out there on your own dime (I guess maybe you did). Skype interview sounds terrible.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Is there any way you can fly to them on your own dime?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm not thrilled about Skype and I offered to drive since the distance is not great (ang flying between minor airports on short notice is absurdly expensive) but this is the way they usually do things and they didn't want to depart from the norm.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 pm

For what it's worth, flying would be right at $1000 and take just as long as driving due to long layovers. Not that either is an option.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm

I used to have skype meetings all the time. The biggest pro is that body language is restricted so you can't fuck that up. The bad news is that you might not be able to read them as well as you like. Be professional and slow down. As someone else said, you don't want to talk over them. If they use video (try to find out, if you can), odds are you won't see everyone in the room, so keep that in mind.

If there's a delay or some bad reception, tell them the reception is less than stellar and ask them to try again - hopefully it'll be better on the second attempt (only do this once, though)
Also, do some practice skyping with friends. Doesn't have to be formal, but you want to get a feel for how to conduct yourself professionally.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 pm

you've got this. google Skype interviews for info about background set up, tone, etc.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Definitely do a test recording to see how you sound on Skype. Make absolutely sure there's nothing strange behind you during the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Like all important questions, this has been answered in info graphic form:

http://mashable.com/2012/10/14/video-interview-job/

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:05 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:I'm not thrilled about Skype and I offered to drive since the distance is not great (ang flying between minor airports on short notice is absurdly expensive) but this is the way they usually do things and they didn't want to depart from the norm.

Make up an excuse like you'll be in the area for a family event. If the firm still wants to Skype then you're DOA.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:28 pm

A skype interview doesn't have to be that awkward. Especially if you can see your own image in a decent sized box in the corner, it might even be better since you can monitor your facial expressions and body language.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:17 pm

I've done three skype callbacks and two resulted in offers. I think the main thing is to remember to look at camera, and speak slower. Smile noticeably rather than laugh, if its a panel style interview with people in a boardroom be sure to direct your questions as specific for a particular person. I found it really useful to engage the quite ones by directing questions at them. Also be prepared for pre-interview banter as you will likely be live before everyone. Also remember they know you are on video, so don't get too concerned. Just because you are doing a skype callback does NOT mean they don't want to offer. Think of the firm doing you a solid by saving you travel time, that's what the first firm that I got an offer told me and they did a quick offer turn around. Most of all good luck!

P.S. Ignore the comments above about how skype sounds awful, I bet they haven't done a skype CB. As someone who has done these this season and had them result in offers, its a method firms are moving to more and more. I felt like it would undermine my chances but so far I have yielded my only offers through skype callbacks, and been dinged 3 in person CBs.

Ofta3184

Postby Ofta3184 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 pm

that's pretty weird that they are making you skype FROM THE SATELLITE OFFICE. Pretty sure they are just doing it to ensure you wear pants during the interview.

byronmullens

Postby byronmullens » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Ofta3184 wrote:that's pretty weird that they are making you skype FROM THE SATELLITE OFFICE. Pretty sure they are just doing it to ensure you wear pants during the interview.

Or they are doing it to ensure that the videofeed is under their control, so you won't be at a disadvantage. Why does everything have to be looked at in negative light? Perhaps the firm is trying to save the student from missing class?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Well, it has come and gone. The interview setup wasn't too bad except that the video feed saw switching between two offices. The interview itself was brutal, though. Question highlights included "So, you're not on Law Review? Explain that." and "Why didn't you go to [Substantially Higher Ranked Law School Near Our Home Office]?"

Needless to say, I'm not sitting next to the phone expecting it to ring anytime soon.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:42 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Well, it has come and gone. The interview setup wasn't too bad except that the video feed saw switching between two offices. The interview itself was brutal, though. Question highlights included "So, you're not on Law Review? Explain that." and "Why didn't you go to [Substantially Higher Ranked Law School Near Our Home Office]?"

Needless to say, I'm not sitting next to the phone expecting it to ring anytime soon.

Don't get down on yourself so soon bro. Don't forget that interviewers sometimes ask such questions just to mess with you and see how you react under pressure. Also, the fact that they bothered to do a callback with you when they could have called back students from this "substantially higher ranked law school" shows they're interested.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 pm

So, the callback was a week ago tomorrow. What is the conventional wisdom? Should I write it off as no offer forthcoming? Do firms take a week or more to make decisions? The interviewer last week told me he hoped to have a decision this week...

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:So, the callback was a week ago tomorrow. What is the conventional wisdom? Should I write it off as no offer forthcoming? Do firms take a week or more to make decisions? The interviewer last week told me he hoped to have a decision this week...

Well, you still have a day before the week is over and offers have come in on Saturdays before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:48 pm

I did a Skype interview before lawschool. I wore a dress shirt, tie, jacket and my boxers.

I got the job... :D

Return to “Legal Employment”