HELP - Which is better for my future?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HELP - Which is better for my future?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Offer #1: Federal agency. Pros: very close to my apartment, flexible scheduling, ability to put gov't on my resume (i'm mostly interested in regulatory work), admin law work, stipend through school (though not enough to cover summer expenses). Cons: Unpaid, no chance at full-time offer.

Offer #2: Small firm. Pros: law firm work, small pay but pay nonetheless (probably $500/week). Cons: 3 hr roundtrip commute from apartment that involves gas + parking costs, long days when you factor in hours at office + commute, not in a city I want to be in post-graduation, no chance at full-time offer.

I won't have a chance at a full-time offer at either, so I know I will be back to the grind 3L year, bombarding the legal world with my craptastic resume. I currently clerk for a small firm, so I at least already have a law firm on my resume. Is there a difference between the two when it comes to 3L job search? What about for applying for clerkships?

Anonymous User

Re: HELP - Which is better for my future?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:06 pm

If you want to work for the government after graduation, I'd definitely go with the federal agency. Even though there's no full-time offer involved, government employers really like to see dedication and commitment to the cause.

(If you want to work for a firm, I got no idea.)

Anonymous User

Re: HELP - Which is better for my future?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you want to work for the government after graduation, I'd definitely go with the federal agency. Even though there's no full-time offer involved, government employers really like to see dedication and commitment to the cause.

(If you want to work for a firm, I got no idea.)

Clerkship > govt > firm > PI > barista

If that helps at all in deciding which is best

Return to “Legal Employment”