IRS Honors

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: IRS Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So they did a resume collect at my school (T20), and that was like 2 months ago. I just heard from them this week asking me to come in to their office (in the city my school is in) to do an interview. Any idea of this is a screener or straight to a callback?

Also, does anyone have any idea how this program stacks up against biglaw jobs? I really like tax, and I think working for the IRS would be super interesting, but I would be reluctant to turn down biglaw for it (NYC V10). Anyone have any thoughts about this? Would it be easy to go back to biglaw if I were to decide gov't work isn't for me?

There's not nearly as much info/advice about this program as there is for DOJ Honors

I'd like to know this too. I am in a similar position (except for the biglaw offer). They did a resume collect, then set up an interview for the beginning of October, on-campus (the 'local' office is about an hour away) but with 3 interviewers and scheduled for an hour long. Then the government shut down and it got pushed back to next week. They are only interviewing 2 other people from my school and this seems long for a screener. I'm hoping this is the only interview I have to do, I'll jump through whatever hoops they make me, but I'd like to just get it over with.

Update: My interview was yesterday with 3 people from the closest field office, lasted about an hour. What they told me was that they [people from field offices] interview the selected candidates at their area's law schools, then send their notes/recommendations/etc to the hiring committee in DC. They said their deadline to send info to DC was very soon. DC then ranks all candidates nationally and, to the best they can, offers the candidates matched with how the application had locations/divisions/etc ranked.

They said this is almost certainly the only interview you do (there are rare second interviews in case of a tie, handled by the attorneys in that particular office/division), and while they were unable to speak for the DC committee, they made it clear that they did not want to lose all their candidates to other jobs, so I'm [hesitantly] optimistic of hearing something [with my luck, bad news] relatively soon, at least soon for the government.

Good to know! Though, I spoke with a local IRS attorney and with my school's career office today, and from what they said, things aren't looking too great for IRS hiring this year. So I wouldn't get our hopes up, unfortunately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So they did a resume collect at my school (T20), and that was like 2 months ago. I just heard from them this week asking me to come in to their office (in the city my school is in) to do an interview. Any idea of this is a screener or straight to a callback?

Also, does anyone have any idea how this program stacks up against biglaw jobs? I really like tax, and I think working for the IRS would be super interesting, but I would be reluctant to turn down biglaw for it (NYC V10). Anyone have any thoughts about this? Would it be easy to go back to biglaw if I were to decide gov't work isn't for me?

There's not nearly as much info/advice about this program as there is for DOJ Honors

I'd like to know this too. I am in a similar position (except for the biglaw offer). They did a resume collect, then set up an interview for the beginning of October, on-campus (the 'local' office is about an hour away) but with 3 interviewers and scheduled for an hour long. Then the government shut down and it got pushed back to next week. They are only interviewing 2 other people from my school and this seems long for a screener. I'm hoping this is the only interview I have to do, I'll jump through whatever hoops they make me, but I'd like to just get it over with.

Update: My interview was yesterday with 3 people from the closest field office, lasted about an hour. What they told me was that they [people from field offices] interview the selected candidates at their area's law schools, then send their notes/recommendations/etc to the hiring committee in DC. They said their deadline to send info to DC was very soon. DC then ranks all candidates nationally and, to the best they can, offers the candidates matched with how the application had locations/divisions/etc ranked.

They said this is almost certainly the only interview you do (there are rare second interviews in case of a tie, handled by the attorneys in that particular office/division), and while they were unable to speak for the DC committee, they made it clear that they did not want to lose all their candidates to other jobs, so I'm [hesitantly] optimistic of hearing something [with my luck, bad news] relatively soon, at least soon for the government.

Good to know! Though, I spoke with a local IRS attorney and with my school's career office today, and from what they said, things aren't looking too great for IRS hiring this year. So I wouldn't get our hopes up, unfortunately.

Can you elaborate on what your school's career office said? Did they indicate that IRS may not hire at all for the Honors Program or that it will just be very competitive?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:04 pm

does anyone have any thoughts about IRS Honors vs. biglaw? Trying to decide which one would be better if I were to be offered IRS (callback earlier this week)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have any thoughts about IRS Honors vs. biglaw? Trying to decide which one would be better if I were to be offered IRS (callback earlier this week)

was this for a summer internship position or full time post-grad job? if your callback was for a summer position with the IRS, why not try to organize a split summer if you are really sincerely interested in both employers? if not, you should choose one and spend a full summer with that employer so you can maximize you chance of getting an offer.

if this was not for a summer gig, but for full time out of law school, then there are other considerations at play--money, loan forgiveness, hours, government service v. working for private clients, whether the firm would have you do tax litigation/controversy or transactions, lateral opportunities, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They said this is almost certainly the only interview you do (there are rare second interviews in case of a tie, handled by the attorneys in that particular office/division), and while they were unable to speak for the DC committee, they made it clear that they did not want to lose all their candidates to other jobs, so I'm [hesitantly] optimistic of hearing something [with my luck, bad news] relatively soon, at least soon for the government.[/quote]

Good to know! Though, I spoke with a local IRS attorney and with my school's career office today, and from what they said, things aren't looking too great for IRS hiring this year. So I wouldn't get our hopes up, unfortunately.[/quote]

Can you elaborate on what your school's career office said? Did they indicate that IRS may not hire at all for the Honors Program or that it will just be very competitive?[/quote]

I'm the one who wrote the "Update", in my interview the subject of how much the IRS was going to hire was brought up. My interviewers told me that over the past couple of years, entry-hiring into the IRS was done almost exclusively through the Honors Program, so I feel that there will be hiring through that. HOWEVER, they were concerned about budget things out of their control [especially because they are pretty understaffed at this field office] that are to be decided by the Congress, so they don't know how many spots they'll have in the program. So it'll just be even more competitive than normal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Is anyone waiting to hear back for their summer program? I interviewed w/ IRS in early October at OCI and haven't heard anything re: callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:54 pm

I am the anon who asked about IRS Honors vs. Biglaw

This is for a fulltime position. I already summered with the biglaw firm and was made an offer to do the IRS Honors program starting next year. I think I would enjoy the IRS job more than the biglaw job in every way to be honest. My only hangup is the money. I'm curious if you think that OCC attorneys have the option of going to law firms in the future or if they are kinda stuck in the gov't sector?

I'm lucky enough to be graduating without any debt, so thankfully that is not a consideration. That's why I have no problem w/ the gov't salary, at least for a while. If I decide to have a family one day, though, I might want to move to the private sector to earn more. thoughts?

presh

Postby presh » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm lucky enough to be graduating without any debt, so thankfully that is not a consideration. That's why I have no problem w/ the gov't salary, at least for a while. If I decide to have a family one day, though, I might want to move to the private sector to earn more. thoughts?

I hear this sentiment a lot and it always confuses me. They hire at around $62k or so, and you can move up a grade every year until you hit GS-14. GS-14 Step 8 is like $100k.

I get that people at firms make significantly more, but I mean, you can raise a family on $100k a year with no debt. Especially at an agency with a ton of non-DC location options. If the money is important to you, that's your choice but I'm sure a lot of children would prefer to have a parent who makes just barely six figures and is around a lot than one who makes $200k and works considerably more and is less able to reliably attend events, birthdays, etc. But if you just want to make more, that's a valid choice obviously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 am

Thanks for the replies!

I wasn't sure how raises were handled, so it's good to hear that attorneys are eligible to move up a paygrade every year. Is this pretty common, or are raises hard to come by? How often do most attorneys get raises at the IRS?

Also, are there any fears among attorneys that the sequester could put their jobs in jeopardy? One thing that attracts me to government work is the job security. Do you think this is still a stable/reliable job given the sequester, shutdown, and general financial mess that our gov't is in?

I

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:25 am

I thought that absent an actual promotion, your salary moves up in steps, not grades?

Also, to whoever posted about a callback, would you mind explaining that a little further? After reading the earlier post about second interviews being rare I'm not sure how to interpret the silence since the first interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:17 am

I haven't yet posted about interviews/ callbacks, but I can share my experience with those who haven't heard back yet. I had what I thought was a screener interview in early September with a field office, done through OCI. The interviewers never mentioned to me whether there would be callbacks, and it never occurred to me to ask because it seemed like a total given. A few weeks later, I got an unscheduled phone call asking me about branches and if I had any questions and if I was interested in talking to anyone from one of the offices. It didn't feel like a phone interview at the time, and it seemed like it was a pre-callback "what office should we have you interview with" kind of thing.

And then there was the shutdown and 3 weeks of silence, which was just tons of fun. A little over a week ago I received an offer from a field office. So maybe that phone call was something of a callback? Callback-lite? I dunno.

To the anon[s] who have been wondering about the time frame, I doubt this is gives much insight aside from showing that the process seems very dependent on the needs of the field offices. I'd be really interested knowing what things were like for those who pursued DC positions and interviewed there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:59 am

Interesting, thanks. My interviewer came here from DC and seemed to emphasize Washington, which is my preference anyway, but I didn't specifically request that office in the app. The interview was an hour, and thorough. I don't know what they would even ask in a second interview, and they didn't give any indication there would be one.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I thought that absent an actual promotion, your salary moves up in steps, not grades?

That's true generally of the GS scale but many attorney positions move you up by grade to be more competitive with the private sector.

Here is what they say:

Promotion Policy
Attorneys appointed at GS-11 through GS-14 are eligible for promotion to the next higher grade annually. GS-15 positions and above are usually reserved for supervisors, non-supervisory management officials, senior technical advisors and special litigation assistants. However, more than 100 GS-15 non-managerial positions were recently created for our attorney staff. Promotion candidates compete with other GS-14 attorneys and are currently selected by a board of senior executives.

That's true of a number of agencies, but not all. You can expect to hit GS 14 relatively early and without any issue, then be waiting for a promotion to move to GS 15.

anonymous2012

Postby anonymous2012 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:58 pm

I found it interesting that field office attorneys will stop accepting new SAUSA appointments in bankruptcy cases effective January 1.

presh

Postby presh » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:36 pm

hey can anyone who is an IRS attorney speak to the security clearance situation?

Are IRS attorneys given any sort of security clearance and do they have to go through a thorough background check? What's the background check like compared to DOJ, DOD, etc? Is this the kind of deal where they are going to call up random people who knew me and ask if I used to smoke pot or whatever?

Thanks for all the info in this thread!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Good to know! Though, I spoke with a local IRS attorney and with my school's career office today, and from what they said, things aren't looking too great for IRS hiring this year. So I wouldn't get our hopes up, unfortunately.

Can you elaborate on what your school's career office said? Did they indicate that IRS may not hire at all for the Honors Program or that it will just be very competitive?

Sadly, I can't really elaborate because there's not much to elaborate on. I had a networking luncheon with some of my school's alumni, one of whom was with the IRS. He didn't have much info on hiring this year, other than to say they'd hire everyone if they could but they're restricted by their budget, not to mention the possibility of another shutdown early next year. After the luncheon I asked the career office person who set up the luncheon if she knew about IRS hiring, and she said basically the same thing. No one had any solid answers, just the sense that IRS hiring might be even tighter than it has been.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't yet posted about interviews/ callbacks, but I can share my experience with those who haven't heard back yet. I had what I thought was a screener interview in early September with a field office, done through OCI. The interviewers never mentioned to me whether there would be callbacks, and it never occurred to me to ask because it seemed like a total given. A few weeks later, I got an unscheduled phone call asking me about branches and if I had any questions and if I was interested in talking to anyone from one of the offices. It didn't feel like a phone interview at the time, and it seemed like it was a pre-callback "what office should we have you interview with" kind of thing.

And then there was the shutdown and 3 weeks of silence, which was just tons of fun. A little over a week ago I received an offer from a field office. So maybe that phone call was something of a callback? Callback-lite? I dunno.

To the anon[s] who have been wondering about the time frame, I doubt this is gives much insight aside from showing that the process seems very dependent on the needs of the field offices. I'd be really interested knowing what things were like for those who pursued DC positions and interviewed there.

That's badass, congrats. Do you mind posting your stats? I'd like to know if I even have a legit shot, or if I should just move on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:01 pm

has anyone received an offer for the NYC or DC field offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:27 am

They're not taking anyone at the NYC office this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They're not taking anyone at the NYC office this year.

wow...okay. my school told me they were just uncertain about the budget, but i hadn't heard that they were taking no one in NYC. do you know if this is budget related and if there is any chance of it changing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:57 pm

It is budget related. I don't know if there's any chance of it changing, but I wouldn't think so. I know some people who have left recently and they say attrition is high but there's just no money for hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is budget related. I don't know if there's any chance of it changing, but I wouldn't think so. I know some people who have left recently and they say attrition is high but there's just no money for hiring.

do you have any insight on which field offices are hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:59 am

No, sorry. But my understanding is that they're hiring less than 10 people nationwide, so the majority of other field offices will not be taking anyone.

Return to “Legal Employment”