Struck out after OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Struck out after OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 pm

As the subject implies, I've struck out with all the firms I interviewed with for 2L OCI. What are my best options from here? I really would like to work at a biglaw firm so does anyone have any advice on how to pursue this goal when I will probably not be an SA anywhere this year?

A little background, I actually worked at a biglaw firm after my 1L summer and got good reviews but was no offered due to a pretty bad grade drop from my first to second semester 1L. They said they would like me to reconnect with them next year if my grades improve but I do not know how serious that offer is... But obviously I'll be busting my butt this year to bring up the old gpa.

If it matters, I go to a school in the top 16 that is the major school for the region I plan to work in.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Struck out after OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:26 pm

So you go to UT

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Nice use of context clues haha

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:36 pm

2014utLaw wrote:Would you mind PMing me which firm no-offered you? I'm not going to try to figure out who you are (I honestly don't care), I'd just like to be able to make some 1L friends more aware that 1L no-offers happen.

This would be very useful when sorting through my multitude of 1L summer associate offers.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
2014utLaw wrote:Would you mind PMing me which firm no-offered you? I'm not going to try to figure out who you are (I honestly don't care), I'd just like to be able to make some 1L friends more aware that 1L no-offers happen.

This would be very useful when sorting through my multitude of 1L summer associate offers.

Could we make asking people for advice how to not end up fucked in their "help me, I am fucked" threads a bannable offense. Please.

OP: what have you already done to try to help yourself not be fucked now? Massmails, anything?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

GTFO, seriously. If you guys were in this position you would be pissed that a couple of second month 1Ls are trying to pry some info out of you like a pack of vultures.

Original Anon: Since you are really gunning for biglaw, your situation is a lot tougher than "apply to 'hiring immediately' gigs" b/c these are not big law and will not really help your odds at big law. Do you have any interest at all in clerking? It is possible to clerk -> parachute into a biglaw firm... But keep in mind that if clerking seems unbearable for you, some people I know both IRL and on TLS have had to clerk for 2 years before they could find a biglaw post... Furthermore, clerk hiring is just as, if not more, competitive than SA hiring. However, it is an option you can/should look into.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:02 pm

I did the multitude post, was making fun of the 1L. In same position as OP minus 1L summer FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Gorki wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

GTFO, seriously. If you guys were in this position you would be pissed that a couple of second month 1Ls are trying to pry some info out of you like a pack of vultures.

Original Anon: Since you are really gunning for biglaw, your situation is a lot tougher than "apply to 'hiring immediately' gigs" b/c these are not big law and will not really help your odds at big law. Do you have any interest at all in clerking? It is possible to clerk -> parachute into a biglaw firm... But keep in mind that if clerking seems unbearable for you, some people I know both IRL and on TLS have had to clerk for 2 years before they could find a biglaw post... Furthermore, clerk hiring is just as, if not more, competitive than SA hiring. However, it is an option you can/should look into.

OP here. First of all, gracias to everyone for swatting away the obnoxious 1Ls. Anyway, I have thought about clerking, it's definitely something I would consider, but like you said, it is a very competitive field. Do you think it's worth it to clerk for a lower level judge or is it really only worth clerking for a federal judge or a state supreme court?

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to mass mail biglaw firms in the hopes of getting an interview 3L? It really does seem like most firms only consider people they have had as SAs.

Return to “Legal Employment”