Accept then decline DOJ Honors

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accept then decline DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:21 pm

What are the repercussions of accepting a DOJ Honors position & then declining in order to take a position at a firm? I realize it closes the door on future DOJ employment.
I know people have done this with firms and would assume it has happened with DOJ. DOJ is what I want but there are factors that make locations offered difficult.

Anonymous User

Re: Accept then decline DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:55 pm

are you asking if, should you get an offer from DOJ in November or December and still haven't found a firm job by that point + the 20something days they give you to decide, should you accept and then keep looking for a firm job somewhere other than DC?

Sure you could and probably nothing would happen except you couldn't work at the DOJ in the future. seems unlikely that that specific scenario would occur though.

Anonymous User

Re: Accept then decline DOJ Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:are you asking if, should you get an offer from DOJ in November or December and still haven't found a firm job by that point + the 20something days they give you to decide, should you accept and then keep looking for a firm job somewhere other than DC?

Sure you could and probably nothing would happen except you couldn't work at the DOJ in the future. seems unlikely that that specific scenario would occur though.

I was under the impression it was 2 weeks if you are no longer in law school. This is also not a very unlikely scenario for clerks because firms tend to start looking at clerks in February.

Return to “Legal Employment”