Opportunities for Litigators

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Opportunities for Litigators

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 pm

So, when faced with the option of choosing a transactional or regulatory path vs. a commercial litigation path at a firm, I was wondering what sort of opportunities there are for litigators when transitioning outside of the firm. Do F500 companies tend to bring in litigators from firms, or are you more stuck going to government (prosecution, PD, and the like)?

androstan

Re: Opportunities for Litigators

Postby androstan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:35 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Litigation or Transactional?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Well played. Think I just got flamed, and am in no way upset :)

To be a bit more specific, I have the option of going into general commercial lit (at a firm that does a lot of advertising and media work), or doing straight-up advertising regulatory work (a less prestigious and smaller practice at this firm). I like the variety that commercial litigation offers, but am concerned that this would make it more difficult for me to transition in-house at an F500 in the industries I'm interested in.

Thoughts?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well played. Think I just got flamed, and am in no way upset :)

To be a bit more specific, I have the option of going into general commercial lit (at a firm that does a lot of advertising and media work), or doing straight-up advertising regulatory work (a less prestigious and smaller practice at this firm). I like the variety that commercial litigation offers, but am concerned that this would make it more difficult for me to transition in-house at an F500 in the industries I'm interested in.

Thoughts?

It's hard to imagine that exit options are going to be better from an advertising regulation practice than from a general litigation practice. The former is very niche.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Bear in mind that with things like advertising/IP/media, litigation experience can actually translate pretty well into in-house compliance or IP counsel work. The main part of those is being familiar with the issues and being able to formulate a strategy as well as knowing how these things can play out in a conflict, which can often be better learned in litigation than as a transactional lawyer. My boss this summer was a trademark litigator before she went in-house, and she is not in a litigation role there, but more of all-round trademark counsel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 am

@ Bronte - you'd be surprised. I've actually seen a ton of postings for in-house ad / marketing reg attorneys, as it makes more sense than hiring outside counsel for larger consumer-facing companies. (think P&G, CocaCola, etc.)

@ Picco - that actually makes sense. My firm's litigators often do a lot of media work, so I would likely be able to get at least some exposure. Having a wider range of skills couldn't hurt either.

Thanks guys, this was actually really helpful!

Return to “Legal Employment”