Cravath v. Kirkland (DC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cravath v. Kirkland (DC)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Offers from both...prefer DC to NYC, but want corporate work. Liked both firms a lot, and have no preference to the assignment systems - I think I would do well in both.

Would picking Kirkland be a bad choice? - only asking it this way because I know the normal answer is NYC/Cravath for corporate, not because I liked Kirkland more.

Anonymous User

Re: Cravath v. Kirkland (DC)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:43 pm

I heard someone who interviewed at Kirkland DC heard a partner describe the office as a "really big litigation boutique."

Heard it third hand, so take it for what it's worth. Cravath certainly has better corporate work, but Kirkland is a great firm and if you prefer DC I'm sure you won't regret the decision.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard someone who interviewed at Kirkland DC heard a partner describe the office as a "really big litigation boutique."

Heard it third hand, so take it for what it's worth. Cravath certainly has better corporate work, but Kirkland is a great firm and if you prefer DC I'm sure you won't regret the decision.
This pretty much says it all. Kirkland DC at least has a corporate practice, but it's a litigation shop first and foremost.

In general, wanting to live in DC but do corporate work is not a great combo. Nobody here can really help with that...in all likelihood your decision comes down to which of those two things is more important to you. Obviously going to Cravath gives you pretty awesome exit options as well (not that Kirkland doesn't, but definitely a strength of Cravath). Also, fwiw, you'll work a ton at both but make more money doing so for Kirkland.

If you want to do corporate work long-term, hoping to eventually go in-house or lateral to a smaller market, Cravath is probably the way to go. If you want to be in DC long-term, go to Kirkland.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Is Kirkland your only DC option? Latham has the only large corporate practice that I know of in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Kirkland is my only DC option.

Another big thing for me would be that I'd like to stay wherever I start as long as I can, so that may factor in.

Also, the money at Kirkland is definitely a positive for them, but is there enough corporate work to reach high enough hours?---Sorry if that is a dumb question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you all for the replies. Kirkland is my only DC option.

Another big thing for me would be that I'd like to stay wherever I start as long as I can, so that may factor in.

Also, the money at Kirkland is definitely a positive for them, but is there enough corporate work to reach high enough hours?---Sorry if that is a dumb question.
I used to work in the NY office. When corporate work was low, the corporate partners worked to staff corporate associates on bankruptcy matters so their hours wouldn't suffer. That was an extreme case/time, but I think the key is being proactive in seeking out work if you feel you're not getting enough to make hours. I doubt that problem is all that common, but if you summer there, make good connections with at least a few different attorneys so that if you need to ask for work as an associate, you have a few people looking out for you. Again, though, it probably won't be a problem.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:17 am

PM me for relevant info (assuming you're comfortable being non-anon via PM). I definitely can't post my info, even under anon but would like to help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”