DoL (Labor) 2013 Honors Attorney Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DoL (Labor) 2013 Honors Attorney Program

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just curious, did everyone submit a cover letter? I applied an interviewed through OCI and there was no mention of a cover letter. I just looked at the DOL website and noticed that they mentioned submitting a cover letter. Is that only for non-OCI applicants?

I'm assuming that they have all the relevant information in any case. I remember my interviewer taking a good page of notes on his legal pad. I just thought it was strange that they'd have different application requirements depending on how you applied for the honors program. In fact, the whole DOL application process is strange. (e.g., one round of interviews).

I submitted a cover letter and I interviewed through OCI. I was surprised that they had read it pretty carefully too and referred to parts of it during the interview.

Strange that they never asked for one. Was your OCI interview pre-screened? Hope the people who go over the applications at HQ aren't miffed about it being missing. :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious, did everyone submit a cover letter? I applied an interviewed through OCI and there was no mention of a cover letter. I just looked at the DOL website and noticed that they mentioned submitting a cover letter. Is that only for non-OCI applicants?

I'm assuming that they have all the relevant information in any case. I remember my interviewer taking a good page of notes on his legal pad. I just thought it was strange that they'd have different application requirements depending on how you applied for the honors program. In fact, the whole DOL application process is strange. (e.g., one round of interviews).

I submitted a cover letter, but I applied by e-mail. I think someone in this thread said that there was no pre-screening for OCI (at their school) - everyone who signed up was interviewed - and they clearly didn't interview everyone who sent in an application, so I have no idea how they're doing this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I submitted a cover letter and I interviewed through OCI. I was surprised that they had read it pretty carefully too and referred to parts of it during the interview.

Strange that they never asked for one. Was your OCI interview pre-screened? Hope the people who go over the applications at HQ aren't miffed about it being missing. :|

they have pre-screening at OCI at my school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

they have pre-screening at OCI at my school.

[same anon as above]

Ok. That makes a little more sense. My OCI is not pre-screened.

This seems like a pretty niche honors program. So little info. :lol: The DOJ thread has been rolling along for a while now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:29 pm

I've heard via informational interviews that offers go out as late as April. ::sigh::

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard via informational interviews that offers go out as late as April. ::sigh::

:shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:29 pm

That would be bad. I am another one of those people who interviewed over the phone. I was told December as well. I also don't have contact info for anyone I interviewed with so I can't even follow up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That would be bad. I am another one of those people who interviewed over the phone. I was told December as well. I also don't have contact info for anyone I interviewed with so I can't even follow up.

Ugh! did someone contact you to arrange the interview? I had someone from Chicago call me to arrange the interview with 2 totally different people. The interviewers told me to contact them if I had further questions, but of course, didn't give me their contact info :P but I figured I could just call the woman who set it all up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:11 pm

I think someone (not me), should contact them and ask what the timeline is looking like :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:12 pm

not it! :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Hey all - I have been lurking in this thread, but haven't posted previously. I had a screener interview on campus several months ago, and have been anxiously waiting like the rest of you. I emailed my interviewers today and they responded, that my application is "still under consideration" and the Hiring Committee "hopes to make decisions in the next couple of weeks."

I don't know if that's just the standard line for everyone, or if means I've made any level of cuts at this point. I also don't know what "hoping" to make decisions in the next few weeks means, though I suppose it's at least good that the didn't say they definitely don't anticipate making them until later?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Has anyone heard which regional offices have openings yet? Or is that something we wouldn't know until we actually get an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard which regional offices have openings yet? Or is that something we wouldn't know until we actually get an offer?

In my interview, they asked whether I would prefer a regional office or the headquarters, but didn't get more specific than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard which regional offices have openings yet? Or is that something we wouldn't know until we actually get an offer?

In my interview, they asked whether I would prefer a regional office or the headquarters, but didn't get more specific than that.

Same. And FWIW, I expressed interest in both, as I'm sure most people did.

Relatedly, do you all think it would be useful to update them? Like a new labor class planned and employment law comment accepted in an upcoming mainline journal? I had though it wouldn't be worth it, but if it's true they're a couple weeks away, might be useful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

I had to contact / update them because I had a pending offer to respond to in a couple weeks.. They said that I hadn't advanced to the final round so I guess they're up to that stage in the hiring process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Did any of y'all work at a Regional SOL office (DoL) during your 2L summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did any of y'all work at a Regional SOL office (DoL) during your 2L summer?

yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did any of y'all work at a Regional SOL office (DoL) during your 2L summer?

yes.

In your opinion, did your experience give you a substantial edge in the application process?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yes.

In your opinion, did your experience give you a substantial edge in the application process?

No one's got an offer yet, right? So how can someone tell if this experience gave them a substantial edge?

That said, I'm quite sure having worker-side labor/employment experience helps, whether that's with DoL during 2L summer or some other time during law school, other relevant agencies, or even plaintiff-side firms. Every DoL Honors attorney I've been able to google-stalk has substantial experience like this. (Lest you think I'm totally creepy, DoL published some kind of newsletter in the last year with an article about the Honors Program that provided lots of names to look up on LinkedIn.) A bigger question is whether you could get one of these positions without that kind of experience, and I don't know - it probably depends on who's doing the hiring, what else you bring to the table, and how well you can spin the latter as applicable to the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yes.

No one's got an offer yet, right? So how can someone tell if this experience gave them a substantial edge?

Point taken. I was unaware that no offers have been made. From your comment, I gather that there is only stage in the selection process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Point taken. I was unaware that no offers have been made. From your comment, I gather that there is only stage in the selection process.

Yes, DoL is weird in that they only do one round of interviews - either through OCI or by phone (for mail-in applicants who are clerking or at schools where they don't hold OCI). Obviously from the comment above by the person who called, there's further winnowing down, but who knows exactly how they do that??

(And I suppose to be precise I should say that no one has reported any offers here - though from the same comment above, it doesn't sound like offers have gone out yet. But again, who knows!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 pm

My OCI interviewers said that they get the list down to about 125 finalists, and then they make a decision from there. I know this doesn't shed too much light on anything, but I thought I'd mention it!

They also said that while they always aim for making decisions by the end of November/early December, they are later and later every year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That said, I'm quite sure having worker-side labor/employment experience helps, whether that's with DoL during 2L summer or some other time during law school, other relevant agencies, or even plaintiff-side firms. Every DoL Honors attorney I've been able to google-stalk has substantial experience like this. (Lest you think I'm totally creepy, DoL published some kind of newsletter in the last year with an article about the Honors Program that provided lots of names to look up on LinkedIn.) A bigger question is whether you could get one of these positions without that kind of experience, and I don't know - it probably depends on who's doing the hiring, what else you bring to the table, and how well you can spin the latter as applicable to the job.

I think it's essentially impossible to get a DoL honors job without any employment law experience, based on the Honors attorneys I know and talk to, and the fact that they are only hiring a handful of people for an employment-law only job. I do know for a fact that it's possible to get an honors position without having interned at the DoL itself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. I did get interviewed without any formal employment law experience, but I had a lot of employment law coursework and did employment law projects in the non-employment law gigs I had (e.g. interned for a judge and worked on employment law cases while I was there, that kind of thing). But I was surprised even to get interviewed, and I certainly didn't get an offer (withdrew my application last week because I got something else, so we'll never know... but I'm quite sure I didn't have a chance!).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That said, I'm quite sure having worker-side labor/employment experience helps, whether that's with DoL during 2L summer or some other time during law school, other relevant agencies, or even plaintiff-side firms. Every DoL Honors attorney I've been able to google-stalk has substantial experience like this. (Lest you think I'm totally creepy, DoL published some kind of newsletter in the last year with an article about the Honors Program that provided lots of names to look up on LinkedIn.) A bigger question is whether you could get one of these positions without that kind of experience, and I don't know - it probably depends on who's doing the hiring, what else you bring to the table, and how well you can spin the latter as applicable to the job.

I think it's essentially impossible to get a DoL honors job without any employment law experience, based on the Honors attorneys I know and talk to, and the fact that they are only hiring a handful of people for an employment-law only job. I do know for a fact that it's possible to get an honors position without having interned at the DoL itself.

Yeah. My interviewer said they're basically trying to do a couple things. One is ferret out people with little to no employment law experience, and also try to gauge your commitment to public interest work.

Return to “Legal Employment”