Help me choose a practice area

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help me choose a practice area

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Need some help with this.

I'm thankful to have a choice of summer offers. However, the choice basically requires me to choose right now between transactional or litigation. Basically, I dont know what I want.

Please help me choose.

NewLobo

Re: Help me choose a practice area

Postby NewLobo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Need some help with this.

I'm thankful to have a choice of summer offers. However, the choice basically requires me to choose right now between transactional or litigation. Basically, I dont know what I want.

Please help me choose.

And you expect others to know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:23 pm

NewLobo wrote:
And you expect others to know?

No. I thought maybe some discussion about the different practice areas would help me out.

-OP

Blueridge

Postby Blueridge » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Is it any more specific than lit vs. corp?

Can you share any information about what you find interesting/what you dislike? It's an incredibly vague and broad topic that you're asking right now.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Lol. WTF is this thread. My best guess is subtle brag.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:57 pm

*is smart enough to get top grades at a top school*

*feigns having trouble figuring out how to choose a practice area even though most 3rd graders could choose between lit and corp without the help of a career adviser*

*fails at trying to subtly brag*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Lol this is not at all a humblebrag. I have to choose between 2 firms, one of which is strong in litigation and the other which is strong in transactional. They don't have big summer class sizes and therefore don't want to name them. I have no idea which one to choose. I don't know what area I want to practice right now and do not really know what transactional work entails or what type of personality is better suited for it. Therefore, I am asking for some help.

-OP

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lol this is not at all a humblebrag. I have to choose between 2 firms, one of which is strong in litigation and the other which is strong in transactional. They don't have big summer class sizes and therefore don't want to name them. I have no idea which one to choose. I don't know what area I want to practice right now and do not really know what transactional work entails or what type of personality is better suited for it. Therefore, I am asking for some help.

-OP

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=172738

Etc.... anyway, at the end of the day are you looking forward to the prospect of spending hours doing research and writing and ultimately arguing in court, or do you want to read for detail and strategize for businesses? Some research might help you.

Return to “Legal Employment”