Need objective advice...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need objective advice...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 am

Trying to decide between an AmLaw200 firm in NYC and a V80 firm in a secondary market. (Compensation is basically equivalent.) The secondary market is where I'd eventually like to end up. However, I'm worried that I would be giving something up by not practicing in NYC for a few years and then making a lateral move. That being said, I'm unsure if I would even be able to lateral from the NYC firm to a reputable firm in the secondary market.

Does the "NYC experience" make it worthwhile to stay? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Duck

Re: Need objective advice...

Postby The Duck » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:22 am

Go for the secondary market

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 am

Are there models with baubles in your secondary market? Cuz there aren't in mine.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:05 pm

You couldn't say V100, you had to say V80?

Stop worrying about "prestige" and take the job at the firm you want to be in.

Good luck.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to decide between an AmLaw200 firm in NYC and a V80 firm in a secondary market. (Compensation is basically equivalent.) The secondary market is where I'd eventually like to end up. However, I'm worried that I would be giving something up by not practicing in NYC for a few years and then making a lateral move. That being said, I'm unsure if I would even be able to lateral from the NYC firm to a reputable firm in the secondary market.

Does the "NYC experience" make it worthwhile to stay? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing you gain from the NYC experience is more debt, and less sleep.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Just say the firms. Secondary market V80 and NYC Amlaw 200 mean jack shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:14 pm

It seems like the NYC firm is lower ranked and even less prestigious. So I'm not sure where you are even getting this "prestige factor" from. You want to be in the secondary market. You have a solid offer. Take it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems like the NYC firm is lower ranked and even less prestigious. So I'm not sure where you are even getting this "prestige factor" from. You want to be in the secondary market. You have a solid offer. Take it.

If you know you want to be in the secondary market anyway, why waste the time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:29 pm

So you're not sure if you should take the job you actually want, in a place where you want to be, or take a more stressful job in a more expensive location "for the experience" and then hope to be able to switch to the job you actually want in a few years?

that's dumb. people are so obsessed with prestige it's ridiculous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:33 pm

OP, have you ever lived in Manhattan? I lived in the city for a long time, and have also lived and worked in some "secondary markets," and personally I don't believe it's worth working that hard and making the kind of money you will make at a biglaw firm and NOT living in New York. Are you really sure you want to end up in this secondary market?

The only thing any other secondary market can possibly do better than New York is more affordable housing and ease of owning a car. Hypothetically, if I liked the firm in the secondary market a LOT more than the New York firm, and the secondary market was like Boston, DC, LA-- maybe, maybe I would take it. But otherwise dude, take New York and don't look back.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, have you ever lived in Manhattan? I lived in the city for a long time, and have also lived and worked in some "secondary markets," and personally I don't believe it's worth working that hard and making the kind of money you will make at a biglaw firm and NOT living in New York. Are you really sure you want to end up in this secondary market?

The only thing any other secondary market can possibly do better than New York is more affordable housing and ease of owning a car. Hypothetically, if I liked the firm in the secondary market a LOT more than the New York firm, and the secondary market was like Boston, DC, LA-- maybe, maybe I would take it. But otherwise dude, take New York and don't look back.

A lot of times the thing that a secondary market "does better" for someone is that they grew up there and their family lives there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, have you ever lived in Manhattan? I lived in the city for a long time, and have also lived and worked in some "secondary markets," and personally I don't believe it's worth working that hard and making the kind of money you will make at a biglaw firm and NOT living in New York. Are you really sure you want to end up in this secondary market?

A lot of times the thing that a secondary market "does better" for someone is that they grew up there and their family lives there.

If you already know where you want to end up, why not start there? Starting where you want to live will give you more time to make connections in that market. If you work in NYC for a couple years, it's not like you're gonna be able to bring business to the secondary market. On the other hand, if you start in the secondary market, you will have more time to build relationships that will further your long term career.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bronte wrote:

If you already know where you want to end up, why not start there? Starting where you want to live will give you more time to make connections in that market. If you work in NYC for a couple years, it's not like you're gonna be able to bring business to the secondary market. On the other hand, if you start in the secondary market, you will have more time to build relationships that will further your long term career.

What you're saying doesn't contradict what I'm saying, so I don't know why you quoted me here. The anon I quoted was saying that OP should go to New York because a secondary market can't "do better" than New York. I said it might "do better" in that OP has ties to the secondary market, like family ties.

Also, if you guys would stop posting anonymously for no reason it would be easier to understand who is saying what.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 pm

NY hours and COL-adjusted pay are far worse than the vast majority of secondary markets. I also see no reason why your post had to be anonymous.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 pm

I love New York, but it's not for everyone.

OP, if you want to go to NY for a couple years because it's a fun place to live in your twenties or something you feel you need to do in your life, awesome. But I don't think that's how you really feel.

You want the secondary market. No quicker / easier way to get established there than to start this summer.

Congrats on the offers!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:33 pm

"V80" in secondary market. No-brainer here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:30 pm

HeavenWood wrote: I also see no reason why your post had to be anonymous.

because i've posted openly about my school and myself on TLS and i'm applying for jobs right now, not all of which are in nyc because i'm desperate.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HeavenWood wrote: I also see no reason why your post had to be anonymous.

because i've posted openly about my school and myself on TLS and i'm applying for jobs right now, not all of which are in nyc because i'm desperate.

And you may have to settle for a secondary market? Poor you.

ETA: in all seriousness, good luck with the job search.

Return to “Legal Employment”