Hanging your own shingles?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

For those considering dropping out, reason(s) for not hanging your own shingles?

Lack of startup capital
28%
Lack of entreprenurial know-how
23%
Lack of "supposed" prestige in solo practice
3%
Area of practice (e.g. M&A) does not lend itself to solo practices
3%
Biglaw whore
7%
Fear
26%
Never considered it before now
2%
Other
8%

Total votes: 100

tedalbany

Re: Hanging your own shingles?

Postby tedalbany » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 am

Wouldn't the JA be the person to call, if you were to call?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:53 am

I say clerk as a catch-all term for whoever assists the judge in dealing with damn lawyers. Different courts have different setups.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm

tedalbany wrote:Wouldn't the JA be the person to call, if you were to call?

No.

The JA is the judge's secretary, or legal assistant if you want to be PC about it.

The courtroom deputy, or courtroom clerk, is the person who actually sits in the courtroom, and is usually the person who handles the exhibits and courtroom logistics (Elmos, computer monitors, etc.) during trial or motion hearings. If you wanted to file something odd (like an ex parte motion), or something under seal, or have an weird request, then the courtroom deputy is the one who would handle all of those issues and would be the person that filters those questions for the judge.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 pm

kalvano wrote:You've not practiced in Texas, have you? It's easier to get a clerk on the phone than it is to get an email response, and half the judges think the Internet is a terrorist conspiracy.

Only in TX federal court, and have had no problems communicating with CRDs or chambers via e-mail. In fact, many of them preferred or required that you do it that way.
Last edited by anon168 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:03 pm

The reason I am in LS is to hang my own shingle. The plan includes actually trying to learn WTF I am doing by doing the PD thing for a while BUT the end game is to be my own boss. I truly HATE making money for someone else.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm

anon168 wrote:
kalvano wrote:You've not practiced in Texas, have you? It's easier to get a clerk on the phone than it is to get an email response, and half the judges think the Internet is a terrorist conspiracy.

Only in TX federal court, and have had no problems communicating with CRDs or chambers via e-mail. In fact, many of them preferred or required that you do it that way.

Vast difference between federal and state.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:57 pm

There is actually a lot of money in fee shifting statutes. Consider the FDCPA, FCRA, FCBA, TILA, ECOA, FHA, ADA, state consumer protection laws, & most federal civil rights statutes.

When the plaintiff can win attorney's fees the defendant has an incentive to settle as fast as possible. For example, 20% of Americans are in collections. Debt collectors violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) all the time. The FDCPA is a strict liability statute and attorney's fees add up fast. From what I have seen, settlements roll in fast.

There is opportunity out there; that is not to say it is easy. It won't be. Nor is going solo optimal. Getting a job is usually ideal. But one thing is for sure, going solo beats barista-at-law.

Return to “Legal Employment”