Here it is. T6, struck out, dropout thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Here it is. T6, struck out, dropout thread

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm sticking with it.

I've got a full time offer in IP lit. I'd trade you, my debt and job for your debt and med school any day of the week.

Do med school bro.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I've got a full time offer in IP lit. I'd trade you, my debt and job for your debt and med school any day of the week.

Do med school bro.

The idea of you becoming a doctor is truly terrifying.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:11 pm

IAFG wrote:The idea of you becoming a doctor is truly terrifying.

Not as terrifying as the idea of you being a mother.

zing!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:29 pm

lukertin wrote: don't even have a T6 anywhere in their roster of associates & partners.

Chew on that for a bit and swallow.

Is that necessary? I'd take u more seriously if u were more grown up.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Likewise, I'd take you more seriously if you typed out you. It's only two more letters, how much time are you saving?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 pm

lukertin wrote:There were plenty of "IPsecure" in my class of '12, and the '11 class, who couldn't get 2L SAs and graduated unemployed.

lol @ ppl ITT painting a rosy picture.

Eh. Not so much a rosy picture, but there's a huge area between "OP is totally fucked" and "OP is totally fine" that I think most people are in somewhere.

There'll be a lot of depression and a huge amount of work going into improving grades so his resume looks better and better with each passing semester, and sending out resumes and hustling for a job. I think he can ultimately be fine, but only if he puts in a shit ton of work into making things better for himself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Do med school bro.

y? or if i want to be taken seriously, why?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Do med school bro.

Career security.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Unfortunate that this thread degenerated so quickly. Anyway OP, I think you should take the patent bar (an affordable investment) as was previously suggested to you. Mass mail now to all the small boutiques: Amster Rothstein, Fish Richardson, Cooper Dunham, Fitzpatrick, etc. Write in your cover letter that you are taking the patent bar. Also, during the school year, try to get some internship experience to help boost your resume. I know one person who basically graduated unemployed and was able to get an in-house gig b/c she had worked in a similar industry doing internships. It should be especially helpful for bio-tech and pharma work. I know someone else who applied last minute to a bunch of IP firms out in Cali and got tons of bites. (I'm talking really last minute, like March/April, for a graduating 3L.) Broaden your geographic reach. Try CA firms, VA firms, NJ, EdTex if you have to, anywhere where patent lit is a hot topic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Do med school bro.

Career security.

but fck i dont want to do med school... i want to do law. i'm was just really bad at the exam stuff and my interviewing skills sucked.

yeah i've mass mailed about 25+ firms today so hoping someone bites. Gotta just keep churning them out. THERNKS FERR THE SERRPORT ERRYONE!! This sucks really bad right now... but I'm just gonna have to deal with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:47 pm

This thread is now a deal with it thread.

WISH ME LUCK!

sky7

Postby sky7 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Do med school bro.

Career security.

You think IP lit is a shaky market? Boom/bust?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 am

sky7 wrote:This. Anyone who tells you otherwise obviously isn't in the business, and has been misinformed. The NUMBER ONE thing you can do is start reaching out to the major IP players like Fish/Finnegan/Fitzpatrick, and even some of the boutiques (Oblon, Sughrue, BSKB). Mass mail. Then politely follow up within the week. I'd eat my hat if you didn't get a taker.

Guess you won't be eating your hat. OP here. Thanks for the advice. Mass mail worked and I now have an offer :)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sky7 wrote:This. Anyone who tells you otherwise obviously isn't in the business, and has been misinformed. The NUMBER ONE thing you can do is start reaching out to the major IP players like Fish/Finnegan/Fitzpatrick, and even some of the boutiques (Oblon, Sughrue, BSKB). Mass mail. Then politely follow up within the week. I'd eat my hat if you didn't get a taker.

Guess you won't be eating your hat. OP here. Thanks for the advice. Mass mail worked and I now have an offer :)

Congratulations!!

Now that we all know mass mailing is effective, what can we do to stop rising 2Ls from screwing themselves over in the future?

sky7

Postby sky7 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Awesome! Welcome to being IPSecure, breh.

Very happy for you, and I'm very glad that I had a small role in pointing you in the right direction. If you want, PM me. I'd be interested in hearing where you ended up.

anchuldigs

Postby anchuldigs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:17 am

Re: Med School.

I wouldn't worry about the med school debt (maybe even the law school debt). Most med schools will cancel your debt if you work for a non-profit for 10 years. Almost every major hospital is a non-profit and they pay pretty well too right out of residency. A doctor with no specialty can make $300K a year in NYC, even more smaller cities. So if thats what you want to do..... Also, med schools love 'alternative backgrounds'. I know a pianist who got into a top 15 med school with just the basic prereqs. I'm sure they'd love a lawyer.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Congrats OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:41 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Re: Med School.

I wouldn't worry about the med school debt (maybe even the law school debt). Most med schools will cancel your debt if you work for a non-profit for 10 years. Almost every major hospital is a non-profit and they pay pretty well too right out of residency. A doctor with no specialty can make $300K a year in NYC, even more smaller cities. So if thats what you want to do..... Also, med schools love 'alternative backgrounds'. I know a pianist who got into a top 15 med school with just the basic prereqs. I'm sure they'd love a lawyer.

The thing about career security for doctors is that... yes career security does exist, but location security does not. The whole process is just this huge rat race that starts from day 1. And you have boards after boards after boards to stay competitive. It's not easy getting that $300k job in NYC or California. You will find a job that will pay well but you might end up in a city that you never wanted to be in. No real point here on whether that makes law or medicine a better career option - just pointing out an observation.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:47 pm

sky7 wrote:You think IP lit is a shaky market? Boom/bust?

Every field of law chews up and spits out its young. It's the nature of the industry.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congratulations!!

Now that we all know mass mailing is effective, what can we do to stop rising 2Ls from screwing themselves over in the future?

+1 on the congrats, but I think 2Ls will inevitably screw themselves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:03 pm

OP, how long it took you from CB to offer. I am still waiting on one mass mail CB, and I wonder whether I screwed this up too.

PlessFightsFire

Postby PlessFightsFire » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 pm

I did think your post was a bit premature OP. Congrats!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:29 pm

?? You mean the government through IBR? Because my ex, my cousin, and a handful of close friends are doctors (all from different US med schools), and I haven't heard of any of them mentioning their school doing such a thing. My ex is going to try to get the IBR 10-year forgiveness, though, by sticking with hospital jobs (or at least that was his plan a year ago.) Also, as someone else mentioned, you don't really have say over where you go, city-wise. 2L job searching though kind of makes me wish we had a match, though...

OP: congrats on the offer!

PlessFightsFire

Postby PlessFightsFire » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Lwoods wrote:

?? You mean the government through IBR? Because my ex, my cousin, and a handful of close friends are doctors (all from different US med schools), and I haven't heard of any of them mentioning their school doing such a thing. My ex is going to try to get the IBR 10-year forgiveness, though, by sticking with hospital jobs (or at least that was his plan a year ago.) Also, as someone else mentioned, you don't really have say over where you go, city-wise. 2L job searching though kind of makes me wish we had a match, though...

OP: congrats on the offer!

I'm fairly sure you do get a say. Not a dispositive say but the matching program gives you a good chance of ending up where you want to be. +1 on the matching for law school.

Return to “Legal Employment”