Chances of employment with District Attorney w/ a DUI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chances of employment with District Attorney w/ a DUI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Current 1L here w/ interest in criminal law. Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not a past DUI and a separate alcohol charge will be impediments to obtaining internships/post-grad employment with the DA? Both incidents happened over ten years ago.

Thanks.

lovelaw27

Bronze

Re: Chances of employment with District Attorney w/ a DUI

Post by lovelaw27 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 pm

What are your convictions? Was it a felony or misdemeanor?
Last edited by lovelaw27 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current 1L here w/ interest in criminal law. Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not a past DUI and a separate alcohol charge will be impediments to obtaining internships/post-grad employment with the DA? Both incidents happened over ten years ago.

Thanks.
I worked at a state attorney's office this summer with pretty much the same charges, plus additional arrests where charges were dropped and more recently. They didn't seem to care.

though, i'm not sure if internships are different than post-grad employment.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:08 pm

I would be sure to have a few decent back-up plans. This will hurt you. Good part about the field is that mass-mailing never leads to anything, because if people read about your conviction and didn't know you.. auto ding. Maybe the actual office you intern with will hire you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:32 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:What are your convictions? Was it a felony or misdemeanor?
It definitely wasn't a felony. The charges were:

1. Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Controlled substance: (M2) PA Vehicle Code 3731(a), and
2. Purchase, Consumption, Possession or Transportation of Liquor or Malt or Brewed Beverages: (Summary) PA Crimes Code 6308(a)

The second charge was for being under 21 at the time. I pled guilty and received ARD, but that isn't even relevant b/c I would still obviously disclose this on a job application. I guess what I'm really asking is if a DUI would automatically preclude me from ever working as an ADA and/or DA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

1. Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Controlled substance: (M2) PA Vehicle Code 3731(a), and
2. Purchase, Consumption, Possession or Transportation of Liquor or Malt or Brewed Beverages: (Summary) PA Crimes Code 6308(a)

The second charge was for being under 21 at the time. I pled guilty and received ARD, but that isn't even relevant b/c I would still obviously disclose this on a job application. I guess what I'm really asking is if a DUI would automatically preclude me from ever working as an ADA and/or DA.
Depends on the office. It may preclude you from some offices but not all.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:33 pm

It will be an auto-ding at some places. Others may be more willing to overlook it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I see. Do I talk to the office about their policies before applying? I'd hate for my immediate contact to put up a red flag, but would hate wasting my time even more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I see. Do I talk to the office about their policies before applying? I'd hate for my immediate contact to put up a red flag, but would hate wasting my time even more.
I think it'd be worth contacting them. You could probably do it over the phone and stay anonymous too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”