No word 4 weeks after CB: follow up?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No word 4 weeks after CB: follow up?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 pm

There are a couple CBs I had ~4 weeks ago and have received no word from them whatsoever in the meanwhile. No pending offers to update them on and I am getting desperate, obviously. (Been mass-mailing like crazy, though might have started too late). What should I do about these pending CBs: call to get a status update? Is that pointless/desperate/setting myself up for a verbal rejection?

Anonymous User

Re: No word 4 weeks after CB: follow up?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are a couple CBs I had ~4 weeks ago and have received no word from them whatsoever in the meanwhile. No pending offers to update them on and I am getting desperate, obviously. (Been mass-mailing like crazy, though might have started too late). What should I do about these pending CBs: call to get a status update? Is that pointless/desperate/setting myself up for a verbal rejection?

Same question

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are a couple CBs I had ~4 weeks ago and have received no word from them whatsoever in the meanwhile. No pending offers to update them on and I am getting desperate, obviously. (Been mass-mailing like crazy, though might have started too late). What should I do about these pending CBs: call to get a status update? Is that pointless/desperate/setting myself up for a verbal rejection?

I would definitely call for a follow up. Firms like it when people are persistent. However, you have to walk the line between being persistent, and annoying. At this point, it would not be annoying. Frankly, I would have said call 1 or 2 weeks ago.

Did you follow up the interview with thank you notes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Called. Apparently dings got lost in the mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Called. Apparently dings got lost in the mail.

seriously?? which firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I would definitely call for a follow up. Firms like it when people are persistent. However, you have to walk the line between being persistent, and annoying. At this point, it would not be annoying. Frankly, I would have said call 1 or 2 weeks ago.

Why is this relevant?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

seriously?? which firms?

The one I actually got through to is NY office of a V20 firm. I am assuming it's the same case for the other silent CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

seriously?? which firms?

The one I actually got through to is NY office of a V20 firm. I am assuming it's the same case for the other silent CB.

im really sorry. thats pretty frustrating that you have been waiting and that was the response=(

*edit: i wouldn't assume the other one is a ding. follow up on that one too and if their response is anything other than it got lost in the mail be prepared to sell that you really want them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

seriously?? which firms?

im really sorry. thats pretty frustrating that you have been waiting and that was the response=(

*edit: i wouldn't assume the other one is a ding. follow up on that one too and if their response is anything other than it got lost in the mail be prepared to sell that you really want them.

Yeah, called and it went right to voicemail. Sent an email instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why is this relevant?

Well, with thank you notes, that is at least some contact with the firm after the interview letting them know how much you want to be there. Not enough people do handwritten thank you notes these days. It can make a difference to people, especially if they're over 40.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Did you follow up the interview with thank you notes?[/quote]

Why is this relevant?[/quote]

Well, with thank you notes, that is at least some contact with the firm after the interview letting them know how much you want to be there. Not enough people do handwritten thank you notes these days. It can make a difference to people, especially if they're over 40.[/quote]

i agree that it helps maybe if you are on the brink, but a # of my interviewers told me that they basically evaluate you the second you walk out the door. so if its a no, its a no. if you are borderline or even perhaps slightly overqualified/seem overqualified, it might help push you onto the yes pile

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:50 pm

I would recommend as a general rule of thumb, that after 2 weeks of silence you can follow up once every two weeks. Most firms will get back to you relatively quickly and let you know if you are still being considered. However, some firms won't. I recommend e-mailing rather than calling. If you don't get a response to your e-mail after a few days, then call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would recommend as a general rule of thumb, that after 2 weeks of silence you can follow up once every two weeks. Most firms will get back to you relatively quickly and let you know if you are still being considered. However, some firms won't. I recommend e-mailing rather than calling. If you don't get a response to your e-mail after a few days, then call.

what would you say to someone who followed up with firm A 3 weeks after the callback (about 3 weeks ago) and firm B about 2 weeks after the callback (about 3 weeks ago) and heard silence back from both? dings lost in the mail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Don't email your "interest" - I don't understand how you guys don't see this as extremely socially awkward. You're going to get dinged for taking the pussy way.

Call and ask dominantly 1) what the status is, 2) that you're very interested in the firm and 3) you'd like to know the general time frame of when you should be expecting to hear.

You don't email, you're talking about big law. You're either a go-getter or you can go sit at home dreaming.

To the person above, if you've already checked in they know that you are still in the running, there's nothing you can do but wait.

Return to “Legal Employment”