Govt stuff other than DOJ Honors for 3Ls Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Govt stuff other than DOJ Honors for 3Ls

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 am

So what's the deal with entry level federal positions excepting the DOJ Honors program? Do they exist? If they do, when are they posted? I've been cruising through USAJobs fairly regularly and not seeing much unless you're already barred.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: Govt stuff other than DOJ Honors for 3Ls

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:18 am

Very few of them post on USAjobs. Most are on the agency's website or in the Arizona guide. Some aren't listed anywhere and you just have to apply to HR at agency X.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:21 am

Basically you need to go find each agency and apply based on what their website or HR department tells you.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 am

Speaking of which, anyone know how competitive entry-level positions are in HHS outside of DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:35 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:Very few of them post on USAjobs. Most are on the agency's website or in the Arizona guide. Some aren't listed anywhere and you just have to apply to HR at agency X.
Ok, I guess I was confused because the agency I'm primarily interested in (CFPB) only connects you to their USAJobs posting for jobs with the agency.

But the general gist is that almost all of the entry level hiring occurs in the Fall with very little to none in the Spring?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Very few of them post on USAjobs. Most are on the agency's website or in the Arizona guide. Some aren't listed anywhere and you just have to apply to HR at agency X.
Ok, I guess I was confused because the agency I'm primarily interested in (CFPB) only connects you to their USAJobs posting for jobs with the agency.

But the general gist is that almost all of the entry level hiring occurs in the Fall with very little to none in the Spring?
The odds at the CFPB are so slim (something like 2/2200) that you shouldn't even expect an interview unless you have COA clerkship-like credentials or large amounts of W/E. Very little permanent federal hiring occurs in the Spring, but I suspect some state hiring (like NYS Finance) occurs then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The odds at the CFPB are so slim (something like 2/2200) that you shouldn't even expect an interview unless you have COA clerkship-like credentials or large amounts of W/E. Very little permanent federal hiring occurs in the Spring, but I suspect some state hiring (like NYS Finance) occurs then.
Bummer. I applied for the brandeis fellowship. I figured it would be insanely competitive, but my resume is basically is entirely aligned with the work that the CFPB does. I don't have COA quality stats, but I got interviews with district courts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

TTH wrote:Speaking of which, anyone know how competitive entry-level positions are in HHS outside of DC?
is this different than the FDA attorney positions? too many acronyms, I swear

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 pm

The Congressional Research Service will be hiring at least one 3L and possibly more through its Law Recruit Program. The major deadline isn't until late November or December, but you need to send them your resume or something minimal like that so they can do a screener interview and give you the actual application. My understanding is that they do the screening because it's a unique job that is not for everyone, and most people make it through. They do in-person interviews in January or early February and make offers in March.

Needless to say, you need damn good research and writing skills (but not a flowery style). They look for classes and/or experience in administrative law and constitutional law.

If anyone is applying for this and would like a few tips, just ask me to PM you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goingoingone

New

Post by goingoingone » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Congressional Research Service will be hiring at least one 3L and possibly more through its Law Recruit Program. The major deadline isn't until late November or December, but you need to send them your resume or something minimal like that so they can do a screener interview and give you the actual application. My understanding is that they do the screening because it's a unique job that is not for everyone, and most people make it through. They do in-person interviews in January or early February and make offers in March.

Needless to say, you need damn good research and writing skills (but not a flowery style). They look for classes and/or experience in administrative law and constitutional law.

If anyone is applying for this and would like a few tips, just ask me to PM you.
I have an interview with CRS in a few weeks--I would really appreciate a PM with any tips for the screener or the application process after the screener. Thanks!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

First, CFPB Honors (Brandeis fellowship) has already closed. You missed the deadline by like a week (unless you didn't mention applying). I have also been told (not sure how reliable my sources are I guess -- career services office at my school) that they are hiring a good amount of attorneys this year since this will be the first year the CFPB really operates in full swing, but I guess that could be wrong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Congressional Research Service will be hiring at least one 3L and possibly more through its Law Recruit Program. The major deadline isn't until late November or December, but you need to send them your resume or something minimal like that so they can do a screener interview and give you the actual application. My understanding is that they do the screening because it's a unique job that is not for everyone, and most people make it through. They do in-person interviews in January or early February and make offers in March.

Well, crap, this sounds like something I would LOVE to do, but the deadline for the "individual expression of interest" was October 1 (no screeners held in my area). D'you think they'd have any flexibility on that?

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:
The Congressional Research Service will be hiring at least one 3L and possibly more through its Law Recruit Program. The major deadline isn't until late November or December, but you need to send them your resume or something minimal like that so they can do a screener interview and give you the actual application. My understanding is that they do the screening because it's a unique job that is not for everyone, and most people make it through. They do in-person interviews in January or early February and make offers in March.

Please PM me!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 pm

I applied here but didn't even get an interview. Sounds like a dream job for me. Best of luck to all who actually got interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:42 pm

the lantern wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

First, CFPB Honors (Brandeis fellowship) has already closed. You missed the deadline by like a week (unless you didn't mention applying). I have also been told (not sure how reliable my sources are I guess -- career services office at my school) that they are hiring a good amount of attorneys this year since this will be the first year the CFPB really operates in full swing, but I guess that could be wrong?
I applied on time and mentioned it above -- I understand it can get confusing with all the anons in a thread. I'm sure that they're hiring quite a few attorneys, but I don't think they're doing much entry level hiring unless they're going to put a bunch of postings up in the spring. They had some listings for senior/managing attorneys, but not very much for spots below that. Maybe the agency is trying to get the senior people now and hire lower levels in the spring. That would be nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I applied on time and mentioned it above -- I understand it can get confusing with all the anons in a thread. I'm sure that they're hiring quite a few attorneys, but I don't think they're doing much entry level hiring unless they're going to put a bunch of postings up in the spring. They had some listings for senior/managing attorneys, but not very much for spots below that. Maybe the agency is trying to get the senior people now and hire lower levels in the spring. That would be nice.
I'm confused - I thought the Honors programs were the way agencies did entry-level hiring? So what hiring would they be doing in the spring?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
the lantern wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Ok, I guess I was confused because the agency I'm primarily interested in (CFPB) only connects you to their USAJobs posting for jobs with the agency.

I applied on time and mentioned it above -- I understand it can get confusing with all the anons in a thread. I'm sure that they're hiring quite a few attorneys, but I don't think they're doing much entry level hiring unless they're going to put a bunch of postings up in the spring. They had some listings for senior/managing attorneys, but not very much for spots below that. Maybe the agency is trying to get the senior people now and hire lower levels in the spring. That would be nice.
They aren't going to hire more in the spring. They're going to hire a couple entry-level via honors and that's all. They're fully staffed at all levels now and what you see on USAJobs is simply natural attrition. They did take over the functions of other agencies, so a lot of their initial hires were actually transfers. There will be no future boom of entry-level hiring at any of the federal financial agencies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 am

my agency is planning to hire like 400 newbies this upcoming fiscal year (I think they hired about 600 this past year).

yes, they do exist. competition was extremely fierce. In one situation 1600 people applied, of which 200 were selected for interview to fill 40 positions. More recently something like 400 applicants were competing for 15 openings, which isn't as bad but...well i actually have no idea what kind of situation the rest of the fedgov is in.

Probably better than the rest of the gov't due to the pre-req's to even apply here, lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:my agency is planning to hire like 400 newbies this upcoming fiscal year (I think they hired about 600 this past year).

yes, they do exist. competition was extremely fierce. In one situation 1600 people applied, of which 200 were selected for interview to fill 40 positions. More recently something like 400 applicants were competing for 15 openings, which isn't as bad but...well i actually have no idea what kind of situation the rest of the fedgov is in.

Probably better than the rest of the gov't due to the pre-req's to even apply here, lol
so what agency is this and how do I apply?? :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:15 am

tip (only posting because I'm not applying - not my field haha):

DOL Honors - deadline is tomorrow.
http://www.dol.gov/sol/jobs/honorsprogr ... HbiM2r5Bf8

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:57 am

Please PM me! If possible, before 1:40 pm Eastern :-)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whisker

New

Post by whisker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Pm me too please! Thanks! :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:my agency is planning to hire like 400 newbies this upcoming fiscal year (I think they hired about 600 this past year).

so what agency is this and how do I apply?? :wink:
Ditto!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 am

A couple points:

not all agencies have an honors program. At my regional OGC, I know of at least one attorney who was hired directly out of law school. They definitely have the staff in place to train newbs if needed. Some OGCs have summer internships: get in on that if you can.

Many agencies hire directly, ie, they post job announcements on their websites or through law schools. You can sign up to be notified when postings are announced. I think HHS often does it this way. No USAJobs involved.

Do no be afraid to contact the office where you want to work directly. I basically got my job that way and avoided the USAJobs nightmare. Through a little google investigation, it's not hard to figure out who the hiring personnel are at many of these places. Try to email/touch base if you can.

Most new hires have between 1-4 years experience. I had abt three years of mainly clerking experience. Most of the new hires have pretty solid credentials, but nothing mind blowing. Most wanted to get away from private law firms.

It seems that some of the non-DOJ feds are hiring younger and younger. I get the impression that where it was once odd to START your career at one of these places, it isn't as uncommon anymore. The experience can somewhat be niche, and you’re probably not going to get a lot of “trial” experience, if that’s what you’re looking for. Just know it going in. You may work on internal personnel/employment litigation matters, but it’s all administrative with a relatively simple discovery process. This may leave unsatisfied a younger attorney looking to heavily litigate early in their career. Non DOJ-fed/OGC jobs are, in my estimation, comparable to “in house” legal positions in the real world. We're essentially serving our agency, the client, with DOJ as our trial counsel. My 2 cents.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:37 am

are there honors programs or other government entry level attorney positions that are still accepting applications? I feel like I've applied everywhere but I don't want to just sit around and wait to hear. State level, maybe?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”