Background Check for SA Position, Trivial Violation Record

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Background Check for SA Position, Trivial Violation Record

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey all,

I just received background check consent forms for my SA position for next summer. Among other things, I'm consenting to their being able to look at my arrest record. 3 years ago I was cited by a local police department for smoking a cigarette in an open air part of a train station, that I didn't know was part of the train station. I was ridiculously charged with a misdemeanor of Disorderly Conduct. I went to the mandatory court experience and pled it down into a "violation" of Disturbing the Peace. I'm not sure whose peace I was disturbing as there was no one within 100 feet of me, but there you have it. I'm an admitted violator of a town's criminal municipal code. I feel like the firm will likely see this in the background check, and I feel like the title of the offense is way worse than the event actually was. Is it worth giving them a heads up about? Should I send them the disclosure I did for my initial school application? Or is this not worth worrying about at all?

I just don't want to come off as trying to hide something, because I'm really not trying to hide this. I also don't want to throw this in their face, and them essentially think I'm a doofus for doing so.

Any insight welcome. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Background Check for SA Position, Trivial Violation Record

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Do yourself a favor and just disclose it. This will only be a problem if you don't tell them about it and they find out about it (and then wonder why you didn't say anything).

jessuf

Re: Background Check for SA Position, Trivial Violation Record

Postby jessuf » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:27 pm

I would give them a heads up.

With that said, I also have an arrest on my record and have never disclosed it in advance for a job (only dumb law school apps). No one has ever brought it up/asked me about it post-background check. It's a trivial misdemeanor like yours.

Return to “Legal Employment”