Should I remind firm of my other offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I remind firm of my other offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 am

I had my call back interview with my top choice firm on 09/28 and before leaving the coordinator guaranteed me that I will hear back before my other offer expires. My offer expires tomorrow and I still have not heard back from the firm, should I call the coordinator or email her today, or wait til tomorrow?

FitterHappier289

Re: Should I remind firm of my other offer?

Postby FitterHappier289 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 am

I would do it today. It's more than possible they're remembering the date you gave them wrong, or more likely, not remembering it at all.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:44 am

Not only today, do it ASAP. If you haven't heard by now, they will probably need time to coordinate before they can extend you an offer (if they were hoping to).

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:44 am

Yes, definitely follow up. Email this morning, and if no response, call this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

jackattack17 wrote:Yes, definitely follow up. Email this morning, and if no response, call this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

I would even just call this morning. To be honest, it's pretty urgent at this point, and it really should have been done earlier.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 am

piccolittle wrote:
jackattack17 wrote:Yes, definitely follow up. Email this morning, and if no response, call this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

I would even just call this morning. To be honest, it's pretty urgent at this point, and it really should have been done earlier.

This

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had my call back interview with my top choice firm on 09/28 and before leaving the coordinator guaranteed me that I will hear back before my other offer expires. My offer expires tomorrow and I still have not heard back from the firm, should I call the coordinator or email her today, or wait til tomorrow?

I will probably get bashed for saying this but you should do the following in this order:

1. Accept your offer.
2. Call your top choice back and see where they are with their offer.
3. If your top choice gives you an offer, accept and then renege on the other firm.
4. If your top choice dings you, you still have a job in hand.

Yes, this is kind of bad form, but it is what it is.

DMXdawg

Postby DMXdawg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am

anon168, as a member of a firm recruiting committee, how would someone at a different firm from the two involved perceive or find out about this sort of activity, and what repercussions may follow? I think it's understandable given an explanation, but it's breaking bright line rules.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am

DMXdawg wrote:anon168, as a member of a firm recruiting committee, how would someone at a different firm from the two involved perceive or find out about this sort of activity, and what repercussions may follow? I think it's understandable given an explanation, but it's breaking bright line rules.

I suppose the "other" firm could find out by asking where you are going, or by contacting you CSO and having them ask you.

And yeah, you're probably breaking some sort of rule out there, but you know what, the firm that gets left at the altar -- what have they really lost? One less SA? Big deal.

Maybe your reputation gets dinged a bit, but if you're in a big metro market (NYC, SF, DC, LA, etc.), know one is really going to notice or care, or even remember after a couple of weeks. It might be different if we're talking someplace like Tuscaloosa or Detroit or Nashville, but still ...

Yes, like I said, it is kind of bad form, but ITE you've got to look out for numero uno.

Sometimes the ends do justify the means.

Return to “Legal Employment”