Confimation of Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Confimation of Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:12 pm

So, I recently accepted a 2L SA offer. I accepted via email and the firm subsequently sent a letter saying that they're looking forward to my spending the summer with them, stating the terms of compensation, etc. I never signed anything or filled out any paperwork, however.

I realize that legal employment, like most employment, is at-will. But, I'm concerned that the fact that I never signed anything or filled out any paperwork puts me in a worse position if something bizarre happens and the firm decides they've made too many SA offers or the economy sucks.

Paranoia? Should I do something about this? If so, what?

ph14

Re: Confimation of Offer

Postby ph14 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Relax. That's how it goes.

Anonnn

Postby Anonnn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I recently accepted a 2L SA offer. I accepted via email and the firm subsequently sent a letter saying that they're looking forward to my spending the summer with them, stating the terms of compensation, etc. I never signed anything or filled out any paperwork, however.

I realize that legal employment, like most employment, is at-will. But, I'm concerned that the fact that I never signed anything or filled out any paperwork puts me in a worse position if something bizarre happens and the firm decides they've made too many SA offers or the economy sucks.

Paranoia? Should I do something about this? If so, what?

Yes, you are being a little paranoid. If the economy gets so bad that they can't have a summer class I don't think any paperwork will save you. Likewise, if they have too many SAs then having something in writing won't prevent you from being no-offered.

You've done well, barring a Dewey-esque situation or the 2nd Great Depression you will have a job next summer. Relax until then.

Postby 071816 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:20 pm

Paranoia

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Yeah - it's a little unnerving but that's how it works.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:33 pm

OP here.

Thanks. Paranoia is more or less what I assumed. With the horror stories that circulate about revoked offers, it's hard not to be a little paranoid.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Thanks. Paranoia is more or less what I assumed. With the horror stories that circulate about revoked offers, it's hard not to be a little paranoid.

if the firm wanted to revoke, a written letter or confirmation won't do anything to save you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Same thing happened with me at a V25 firm, except they never told me the compensation.

Return to “Legal Employment”