State prosecutor ---> federal court clerk ---> US Atty? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PublicInterest

New

State prosecutor ---> federal court clerk ---> US Atty?

Post by PublicInterest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Assume decent stats ( honors at ccn, NY County DA, and something like SDNY clerkship). Is this at all possible? I could do biglaw but really think I'd hate it and want to go straight into state prosecution. I didn't apply for clerkships as a 3L because I'm an idiot and always thought I'd go straight to a DAs office. But now I'm thinking I want to keep my options open and maybe go federal down the line. Thoughts?

anon168

Silver

Re: State prosecutor ---> federal court clerk ---> US Atty?

Post by anon168 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:25 pm

PublicInterest wrote:Assume decent stats ( honors at ccn, NY County DA, and something like SDNY clerkship). Is this at all possible? I could do biglaw but really think I'd hate it and want to go straight into state prosecution. I didn't apply for clerkships as a 3L because I'm an idiot and always thought I'd go straight to a DAs office. But now I'm thinking I want to keep my options open and maybe go federal down the line. Thoughts?
Yes it's possible but I think you could as easily skip the clerkship and your chances of getting an AUSA would not be hurt, especially with offices that really like to poach from local DAOs.

lawstudentabc123

New

Post by lawstudentabc123 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Do you have an offer from DANY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:39 pm

lawstudentabc123 wrote:Do you have an offer from DANY?
No. Just had second round. If I don't get it ill probably start applying for 2014 clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No. Just had second round. If I don't get it ill probably start applying for 2014 clerkships.
Mind sharing when you had your round one?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PublicInterest

New

Post by PublicInterest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mind sharing when you had your round one?
About 2-4 weeks ago. Don't want tons at when specifically because I've probably come close enough to outing self

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:34 pm

any other thoughts on this path?

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Seems possible. I want to follow the same kind of path, but it seems like you might have to go DANY --> AIII clerkship --> DANY --> USAO. If you spend too much time in your first DA stint, you risk losing your shot at a clerkship. If you spend too little time, then you risk not having enough experience for a USAO, even after a clerkship. I think it would be credited to go 1-2 years DANY --> clerkship --> 2-3 years DANY, then apply. Also, tons of D.Ct. judges were former AUSAs (the judge for whom I'll be clerking next year was one, and I came across a ton of others in my search); try to clerk for one of them so you can use that connection.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”