Transferring Offices after 2L SA vs. 3L OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Transferring Offices after 2L SA vs. 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:06 pm

I accepted a V50 offer in City A for practice group reasons; it's much stronger in the area I want to practice in than my other offer (think fairly niche, but growing, sub-practice). I go to law school in City B and really like the city, however, and recently I've been having second thoughts about my choice of firm. The V50 also has an office in City B. The firm, although big, seems to be a fairly integrated one - lots of talk about work across offices and collaboration. The firm's practice in City B isn't nearly as big, although the larger overall practice area is fairly big. If I decide at the end of the summer that I've made the wrong choice - that location is more important to me after all than practice group - what are my possible options?

Is it possible to switch to the office in City B after I have an offer in hand? I don't plan on bringing up until then, if I do at all. I could potentially have family reasons to make the switch as well. Has anyone either done something like this or had success?

If not, what about 3L OCI? Do firms hold it against you if you decide to look around at all after they've given you an offer? Is it better to be up front with a firm about looking around? I had my 1L job in City B so I could show that I'm interested in staying there after graduation.

Any advice?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Transferring Offices after 2L SA vs. 3L OCI

Postby anon168 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a V50 offer in City A for practice group reasons; it's much stronger in the area I want to practice in than my other offer (think fairly niche, but growing, sub-practice). I go to law school in City B and really like the city, however, and recently I've been having second thoughts about my choice of firm. The V50 also has an office in City B. The firm, although big, seems to be a fairly integrated one - lots of talk about work across offices and collaboration. The firm's practice in City B isn't nearly as big, although the larger overall practice area is fairly big. If I decide at the end of the summer that I've made the wrong choice - that location is more important to me after all than practice group - what are my possible options?

Is it possible to switch to the office in City B after I have an offer in hand? I don't plan on bringing up until then, if I do at all. I could potentially have family reasons to make the switch as well. Has anyone either done something like this or had success?

If not, what about 3L OCI? Do firms hold it against you if you decide to look around at all after they've given you an offer? Is it better to be up front with a firm about looking around? I had my 1L job in City B so I could show that I'm interested in staying there after graduation.

Any advice?


Depending on your V50 firm, transferring offices intra-firm is not out of the question, and happens quite often (again, this is firm specific, so take it as you will).

There's nothing wrong doing OCI as a 3L, esp. with offer in hand. People do this quite often as well. There's no reason to tell your 2L SA firm that your interviewing again.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transferring Offices after 2L SA vs. 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:24 pm

some firms will let you split between two offices; maybe that's something to discuss with them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transferring Offices after 2L SA vs. 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:some firms will let you split between two offices; maybe that's something to discuss with them.


OP here. Not sure if my firm does this, but I've heard it can be risky - I'd rather give myself the best chance of an offer that I can.

anon168, thanks. What might make a firm more likely to allow this than not? I didn't do a screener at OCI with their office in City B; they had a different schedule than the City A office. Would this matter at all?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transferring Offices after 2L SA vs. 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:What might make a firm more likely to allow this than not? I didn't do a screener at OCI with their office in City B; they had a different schedule than the City A office. Would this matter at all?


I know several attorneys who moved from SF->LA SF->SV. They were only allowed to transfer when there was a sufficient business need at the new office.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transferring Offices after 2L SA vs. 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:55 am

I summered in a city A and then after getting an offer requested to go to city B, and the firm was really cool with it. (v20 firm - one notorious for inter-office transfers . . . i guess that's giving it away)

However, my reasoning was because the practice group I wanted to work with didn't really exist in city A's office. This was a compelling reason, and I've heard that transferring just for the sake of wanting to be in a different city wouldn't be good enough for a SA to transfer so early.

Before giving me a second offer in city B's office, they had to check with the partners there to see if they actually needed anyone (which they did in my practice area).

Unless you have a compelling reason (practice group, spouse moving, etc) and they have a need in the other office, I wouldn't count on them allowing it.

Also, I happened to have done some inter-office work with partners in the other office, so they were at least a tiny bit familiar with my work/name as a SA.

A bit tired and out of it, sorry if this makes no sense. I can PM you if you want.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Transferring Offices after 2L SA vs. 3L OCI

Postby anon168 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some firms will let you split between two offices; maybe that's something to discuss with them.


OP here. Not sure if my firm does this, but I've heard it can be risky - I'd rather give myself the best chance of an offer that I can.

anon168, thanks. What might make a firm more likely to allow this than not? I didn't do a screener at OCI with their office in City B; they had a different schedule than the City A office. Would this matter at all?


No, this shouldn't matter.

But what would make a firm allow this than not? Like the poster up above said, it's really firm specific and will turn on things like need, fit, and reasons you want to transfer intra-firm. But if City A needs X associates, and you fit the profile of X associate, then transferring shouldn't be a problem at all -- esp. if the firm is well-integrated, vereins like Hogans I'd be more weary of.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.