Struck out...is anyone still hiring?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Struck out...is anyone still hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:34 pm

I just struck out at OCI and I'm wondering now if anyone is hiring anymore?!

I've been sending apps to many small/mid-sized firms and I haven't gotten any bites. I also mass mailed/applied for summer programs through the websites of many other large firms. I feel this has all been a waste, though. I'm wondering, are there even any firms still hiring anymore at this point or would trying to mass mail big firms be a waste at this time?

Anonymous User

Re: Struck out...is anyone still hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm in the same boat, I know there are some summer programs still open but I would be surprised if its more than 10% of NLJ350. You have nothing to move though so mass mail like crazy and cross your fingers.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:54 pm

OCI is done.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm

sparty99 wrote:OCI is done.

Not really. Tons of firms still have people "waitlisted" waiting for people to decline offers. Although this list shrinks every day.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:58 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
sparty99 wrote:OCI is done.

Not really. Tons of firms still have people "waitlisted" waiting for people to decline offers. Although this list shrinks every day.

That means OCI is done. If you aren't on those lists, then you are done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Exactly, you have no guarantees at this point, and you should have mass mailed earlier. What are your stats? There are firms looking but at this point is really just luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Exactly, you have no guarantees at this point, and you should have mass mailed earlier. What are your stats? There are firms looking but at this point is really just luck.

OP here.

I've mass mailed small/mid-size firms 2 months ago and also most of the v100 firms in the my first and secondary markets about a month ago. Since then, I've been throwing a few apps to firms in markets that I have no ties to. No bites all around.

My stats are ~ top 20% from a T50 that transferred to a T20.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:14 pm

T14 here, arranged and had callbacks in secondary markets over the past two weeks. Had a callback scheduled for today from a resume drop from a while ago but canceled after getting some offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:15 pm

I dunno man its rough sledding. I have much better stats than you and not getting anything but know people getting bites that are worse. Head up and best of luck, motivation is tough to come by right now though if your feeling anything like I am.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T14 here, arranged and had callbacks in secondary markets over the past two weeks. Had a callback scheduled for today from a resume drop from a while ago but canceled after getting some offers.

Message me please

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Exactly, you have no guarantees at this point, and you should have mass mailed earlier. What are your stats? There are firms looking but at this point is really just luck.

OP here.

I've mass mailed small/mid-size firms 2 months ago and also most of the v100 firms in the my first and secondary markets about a month ago. Since then, I've been throwing a few apps to firms in markets that I have no ties to. No bites all around.

It sounds like to did about all you could to get a firm job, but it's rough out there for top 20% T50. If you're definitely not going to drop out, you're pretty much left with things that aren't going to offer you at the end of the summer: small firms that hire in the spring, gov't internships, in-house stuff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here.

It sounds like to did about all you could to get a firm job, but it's rough out there for top 20% T50. If you're definitely not going to drop out, you're pretty much left with things that aren't going to offer you at the end of the summer: small firms that hire in the spring, gov't internships, in-house stuff.

Thanks. I presume I should just try my best to kill it at my new school this year, take whatever job for this summer, and try again at the joke that is 3L OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T14 here, arranged and had callbacks in secondary markets over the past two weeks. Had a callback scheduled for today from a resume drop from a while ago but canceled after getting some offers.

Which markets are these?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. I presume I should just try my best to kill it at my new school this year, take whatever job for this summer, and try again at the joke that is 3L OCI?

Of course you still want to be strategic and try to grab something marketable for the summer, because now you're trying to parlay that into something else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I dunno man its rough sledding. I have much better stats than you and not getting anything but know people getting bites that are worse. Head up and best of luck, motivation is tough to come by right now though if your feeling anything like I am.

I am probably feeling just as bad as you are right now, if not worse.

Working at a big firm has always been my dream. It's pretty depressing to know I probably will never get that chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. I presume I should just try my best to kill it at my new school this year, take whatever job for this summer, and try again at the joke that is 3L OCI?

Of course you still want to be strategic and try to grab something marketable for the summer, because now you're trying to parlay that into something else.

True. What is typically the most marketable summer job besides the obvious answer that is a summer associate position at a big/mid-size firm? Would it be government or in-house?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

True. What is typically the most marketable summer job besides the obvious answer that is a summer associate position at a big/mid-size firm? Would it be government or in-house?

Those are the things I would be looking at, in your shoes. Rephrased, I would be looking to work under someone who knows someone who would have an interest in hiring me post-grad. And I would be looking to term-time extern with those people as well.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I dunno man its rough sledding. I have much better stats than you and not getting anything but know people getting bites that are worse. Head up and best of luck, motivation is tough to come by right now though if your feeling anything like I am.

Working at a big firm has always been my dream. It's pretty depressing to know I probably will never get that chance.

I hate to be harsh, but shouldn't you have realized that it probably wasn't going to happen once you finished in the top 20% at your T50?

I agree with IAFG to look at gov't/in-house/anywhere that will hire you before graduation. Sure you could kill it at your new school, but even with that clerkships/biglaw is far from a guarantee.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:54 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I hate to be harsh, but shouldn't you have realized that it probably wasn't going to happen once you finished in the top 20% at your T50?

I agree with IAFG to look at gov't/in-house/anywhere that will hire you before graduation. Sure you could kill it at your new school, but even with that clerkships/biglaw is far from a guarantee.

Knowing it probably won't happen is different from knowing it absolutely will not happen. I was well aware of my chances, but I got a few callbacks (I assume on the strength of my interviews) and was on the waitlist for a long time at two firms. It's depressing, regardless of how well you did and what school you came from, if you had a chance in the end and come up short.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Knowing it probably won't happen is different from knowing it absolutely will not happen. I was well aware of my chances, but I got a few callbacks (I assume on the strength of my interviews) and was on the waitlist for a long time at two firms. It's depressing, regardless of how well you did and what school you came from, if you had a chance in the end and come up short.

I am sure it is depressing. It's probably something worth talking to a professional about. But for goodness sake don't let the depression turn into complacence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Knowing it probably won't happen is different from knowing it absolutely will not happen. I was well aware of my chances, but I got a few callbacks (I assume on the strength of my interviews) and was on the waitlist for a long time at two firms. It's depressing, regardless of how well you did and what school you came from, if you had a chance in the end and come up short.

There are no absolutes because no one knows how the economy will turn out. In the past, pre-2008, there were people who made it to biglaw in long-winded and unexpected ways, including no-name, not article III clerkships. It is time however to act and plan as if you are not going to get biglaw. I am in a similar position and it sucks, but you do not gain anything by getting depressed about it. Try to be active and look at other opportunities...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 pm

I might be using the word "depressed" a bit loosely.

I'm not depressed, just fucking sad at the moment. I'll back to normal soon...just confused as to what to do next and where my career will be going...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:26 pm

http://whatshouldlawbroscallme.tumblr.com/post/32534286985/3l-oci

It's rough out there right now... My firm has only hired 1 summer from my school. Last year there were over 5.

:-\

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 pm

I know of more than one person that's done a callback in the last week at my T20. Keep hammering those apps out and keep MM'ing. There is still a lot of hope and if you seize the opportunity you'll know you did everything possible at the end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know of more than one person that's done a callback in the last week at my T20. Keep hammering those apps out and keep MM'ing. There is still a lot of hope and if you seize the opportunity you'll know you did everything possible at the end.

Care to divulge which market?

Return to “Legal Employment”