Lateral Hiring Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Hiring Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:11 pm

I am a 3L who will be working at a V5 firm in their corporate department next year. I have a pretty full load this year, particularly because I am in a clinic that requires a lot of time. Awhile ago, I applied for an in-house intern position; several weeks went by before I got an interview; I received an offer this week. I am very happy about it because it will also expose me to a wide variety of corporate law. It is a public company, so there are a lot of compliance/securities regulation issues, which I am very interested in. It is also paid, but that is not a huge consideration.

The problem is that I am already really busy. I would probably need to take the clinic pass/fail to make this work, which means I would only be taking five credits of graded class this fall and probably a similarly low amount in the spring. I am wondering if having a lot of ungraded credits + possibly having mediocre grades this year would affect my lateraling prospects. Also, would the in-house internship (happens to be with a client of the V5) help for lateraling?

Return to “Legal Employment”