DC Biglaw to Secondary Market Big/Midlaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Biglaw to Secondary Market Big/Midlaw

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:06 am

I'll be starting at a V20 in DC but be admitted in the secondary market I want to eventually lateral to (waiving into DC). Strong ties to that secondary market, plus bar admission obviously.

After 3-4 years in the litigation group in the DC office of my V20 firm, do you think I can have success in lateraling to biglaw firms in that secondary market? What about larger regional firms in that market? I know 3-4 years is the "sweet spot" for lateraling, but I never hear of lateraling from a big market to a secondary market.

anon168

Re: DC Biglaw to Secondary Market Big/Midlaw

Postby anon168 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be starting at a V20 in DC but be admitted in the secondary market I want to eventually lateral to (waiving into DC). Strong ties to that secondary market, plus bar admission obviously.

After 3-4 years in the litigation group in the DC office of my V20 firm, do you think I can have success in lateraling to biglaw firms in that secondary market? What about larger regional firms in that market? I know 3-4 years is the "sweet spot" for lateraling, but I never hear of lateraling from a big market to a secondary market.

Give me firm names, and I can help you.

But all this V20 this and secondary market that and biglaw firms this is completely unhelpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be starting at a V20 in DC but be admitted in the secondary market I want to eventually lateral to (waiving into DC). Strong ties to that secondary market, plus bar admission obviously.

But all this V20 this and secondary market that and biglaw firms this is completely unhelpful.

Firm is in the V20 range, I don't really want to say more than that. As for the secondary market -- think Philly, Seattle, Miami, or Houston, and any of the bigger or regional firms that have a presence there, really. The real question is whether headhunters, who start calling associates pretty constantly after year 3, will be able to place you in a new market if you're coming from a V20 in DC.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Firm is in the V20 range, I don't really want to say more than that. As for the secondary market -- think Philly, Seattle, Miami, or Houston, and any of the bigger or regional firms that have a presence there, really. The real question is whether headhunters, who start calling associates pretty constantly after year 3, will be able to place you in a new market if you're coming from a V20 in DC.

Yes.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 pm

This is very possible, yes. I'm surprised you "never hear of lateraling from a big market to a secondary market" - it's fairly common.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm surprised you "never hear of lateraling from a big market to a secondary market" - it's fairly common.

This is what I was thinking as I read this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Thank you for the replies. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to where people lateral. I also wasn't sure that DC would have the same mobility as NY. This was reassuring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:24 pm

For those who are thinking about this path, would partnership prospects be either better or worse for Associate A who spent 3 - 4 years in a big name firm and then lateraled to midlaw than for Associate B who summered with and spent her whole career in the same midlaw firm?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who are thinking about this path, would partnership prospects be either better or worse for Associate A who spent 3 - 4 years in a big name firm and then lateraled to midlaw than for Associate B who summered with and spent her whole career in the same midlaw firm?

It's probably impossible to say. A lot of people start at a firm and make partner there, a lot of people change firms but make partner at the new firm.

I'd guess that the prospects of making partner at the midlaw firm are probably close to the same. You could argue that starting at a bigger/"better" firm might increase your chances of making partner somewhere (either your first firm or a subsequent firm) but that's extremely hard to measure and might not be true at all. Things get super individualized once you start working, it's no longer easy to speak in broad terms about opportunities an d outcomes the way you can with choice of law school.

Return to “Legal Employment”