Philadelphia market - help!? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Philadelphia market - help!?

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:At absolute worst, Lower Merion to Center City Philadelphia by car takes a little over a half hour. Haddonfield can be done in under 20 minutes.
Can be done is not always. I commuted in this town for more than 10 years, you guys are right about the better days, but on average it would be a bit more. Our highways are 2-3 lanes, and all it takes is one fender bender to turn that 20-30 minutes into 40 or more. You know it takes me more than 30 minutes everyday to get to school right? And you know I live closer.
I never take the highway when I want to get into Center City from Penn Valley during rush hour. Depending on the traffic report, I'll usually take PA-23 to West River Drive through to the Ben Franklin Parkway. That takes 25 minutes on a good day, 35 minutes on a bad one. The commute in from Jersey is more consistent to be sure. Even coming in from Voorhees, it's rare that the drive over the bridge takes more than a half hour. Traffic simply flows better by virtue of NJ-38/70 and the two bridges.

You also live in a very dense inner suburb, from which your only real recourse into Center City is taking one of the inevitably backed-up city streets. The Eastern Main Line through to Center Delco, and pretty much anywhere in South Jersey, are more or less the "commute sweet spot."
Ya Jersey is much better, western suburbs just isn't as good day in and day out. The river drives are a 50/50 proposition and accidents pretty much daily. If you commuted a few years you will get frustrated over time. Kelly Drive can be a 5 minute thing or a 25 minute things, and at rush hour it's usually more the latter.
It can definitely be frustrating to live eight miles from Center City and to have the drive in consistently taking a half hour. But as far as rush hour commutes go, you can do a lot, lot worse.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
keg411 wrote:
I meant areas where a not-insignificant amount of people commute. Hell, I have cousins that do the hour commute to Philly from the Brandywine valley area... but I can't imagine it's super common.
Actually the Leigh Valley to Philly commute is pretty common. That's why 76 is always a mess - people getting to the NE extension to Lansdale and 422 to Collegeville/Phoenixville. Most mid-income families don't have many choices. City schools are lousy, and they can't afford to buy in Lower Merion so they go farther out.
I think what more greatly deters a lot of mid-income families from living in places like Havertown or Springfield, where the commute is short and the schools are perfectly good, is a lack of affordable new construction. Montgomeryville, Horsham, Downingtown, West Chester, etc. are similarly affluent, but offer a lot of new homes at a decent price.
You need to check PSSA scores in Delco. They are no longer decent schools.
Here are the most resent composite PSSA scores for Pennsylvania's public school districts. Of the 553 school districts, here are the ones in Delaware County that made the top 100:

9) Garnet Valley
13) Rose Tree Media
19) Radnor
23) Haverford
28) Wallingford-Swarthmore
39) Springfield
54) Marple Newtown
93) Penn-Delco (this one actually surprised me)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
9) Garnet Valley
13) Rose Tree Media
19) Radnor
23) Haverford
28) Wallingford-Swarthmore
39) Springfield
54) Marple Newtown
93) Penn-Delco (this one actually surprised me)
Don't check the ranking, check the scores. Most districts are bad, just because it's top 100 doesn't mean they are 80% proficient. This is after years of PSSA-focused curricula.

I did a lot of work for several of those school districts, they are not as good as people given them credit for. I would go Garnet Valley - Radnor. But Haverford and down have issues.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 pm

HeavenWood wrote:It can definitely be frustrating to live eight miles from Center City and to have the drive in consistently taking a half hour. But as far as rush hour commutes go, you can do a lot, lot worse.
Don't they have a decent commuter rail? I mean, NJ Transit can suck at times, but it's pretty much key to getting into NYC for commuters. Same goes for MetroNorth or the LIRR. No one drives into NYC.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm

keg411 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:It can definitely be frustrating to live eight miles from Center City and to have the drive in consistently taking a half hour. But as far as rush hour commutes go, you can do a lot, lot worse.
Don't they have a decent commuter rail? I mean, NJ Transit can suck at times, but it's pretty much key to getting into NYC for commuters. Same goes for MetroNorth or the LIRR. No one drives into NYC.
The lines don't reach all the areas, and there is usually a parking problem. If you happen to live near a station it's great.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:When you are starting 30-50 associates at once, the work to go around is all doc review and due diligence.
Unfortunately, that is most often the case. Granted, BL Doc work isn’t bad at $65.00 an hour, but nevertheless.

There is boutique work in Philly and recently a few of these firms have increased their starting pay to $115K-$120K. The hourly rate may be $10 less, but the work (and experience) is satisfying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:57 am

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote: You get a bit less house for your dollar in Livingston/Millburn compared to Lower Merion/Radnor, and taxes are higher, but I would say there's a huge overall difference in COL. Cherry Hill is a great value (median home price is half that of Livingston, and if I understand correctly, housing stock is fairly similar, albeit somewhat less upscale overall). Philly has a lot more upscale suburban enclaves than just those two you listed (Moorestown/the Haddons, Medford, Lower Moreland, Upper Dublin, Whitemarsh, Media Area, etc).
On tax:

Remember PA income tax is a flat rate with no deductions. So for a family (people with lots of deductions) tax liability is higher in PA.

So PA + Philly is around 6.5-7% flat on ALL income. (3% PA + 3.5 nonresident/3.9% resident)

Jersey allows some deductions and 160k + bonus comes up to about 3.6% based on their progressive income rate. No city tax.

ETA: Actually you can get a credit for property tax paid as an income deduction (or 18% of rent paid) so the rate may end up being lower.

So let's call 3% savings and that's $4800 or about $400 a month. Should make up the difference in property/rent price if not more.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you'll still be paying NY state income tax if you're living in Jersey, at a rate just under 7%. If you're actually in NYC this obviously goes up with the ~3% municipal income tax.

I chose Philly biglaw over NYC for a couple of reasons. You're more likely to maintain that nice salary for longer. In a NYC firm, you can be far less confident about sticking around for 5-7 years. And even if you do last that long, New York firms aren't exactly known for their quality of life. If you're at MLB/Dechert this (and many of the other reasons for choosing Philly over NYC) applies less, but likely you'll be working significantly fewer hours per year in Philly.

I have no illusions about the difficulty of making parter, but with leverage ratios of roughly 1:1 at a number of top firms in town, it's actually doable in Philly for a decent percentage of those who want to pursue partnership. Also, with such a ratio, the staffing structure for the vast majority of your assignments will be you and a partner.

A huge factor for me was that I like city living, and being able to walk to work. In New York, this simply would not be possible without taking a massive chunk out of my paycheck to rent an absurdly small apartment. Once you get outside the Rittenhouse area, Center City is amazingly affordable. If I get bored with Philly's cultural offerings, I hop on the train and go to NYC or DC. As a junior associate in NYC working NYC hours, I doubt one would want to have a 45+ min commute.

I've met surprisingly few NYC laterals in Philly firms. It seems like they often want you to have at least 4-5 years of experience, since local firms recognize that in NYC the level of responsibility given to junior associates is typically less that what's routine in Philly. Obviously if your goal is to be in NYC long-term, start there. If you care that the deals/case you work on wind up on the front page of major newspapers, go to NYC. In terms of the work itself, it's not clear that a $2bn deal is inherently more interesting than a $100mn deal. Likewise, on the lit side, Philly firms partake in a range of fascinating, complex cases litigated in the E.D.PA and elsewhere, and your involvement will likely be somewhat significant. It's not the kind of work that will make you an attractive lateral to a NYC V10 or set you up for an in-house position on Wall Street, but there are plenty of great exit options if you start here. Just ask mid-levels at Philly firms where their former colleagues have gone after leaving the firm.

Basically, I'm from Philly and wanted to be in Philly long-term; any possible short-term benefits of being in New York didn't outweigh the downsides: longer hours, annoying commutes, ridiculous rents for city living, overall higher stress, etc.

nmr00

New

Post by nmr00 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 pm

How does morgan lewis honestly do on an international level? What do people think of philly office? Any particularly good or bad points to know about?

nmr00

New

Post by nmr00 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 am

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 am

Anyone here work for the Philly DA their 1L year? I would love some insight as to the selection process, day to day tasks of interns, culture of the office, etc.

jcojd

New

Post by jcojd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I've met surprisingly few NYC laterals in Philly firms. It seems like they often want you to have at least 4-5 years of experience, since local firms recognize that in NYC the level of responsibility given to junior associates is typically less that what's routine in Philly. Obviously if your goal is to be in NYC long-term, start there. If you care that the deals/case you work on wind up on the front page of major newspapers, go to NYC. In terms of the work itself, it's not clear that a $2bn deal is inherently more interesting than a $100mn deal. Likewise, on the lit side, Philly firms partake in a range of fascinating, complex cases litigated in the E.D.PA and elsewhere, and your involvement will likely be somewhat significant. It's not the kind of work that will make you an attractive lateral to a NYC V10 or set you up for an in-house position on Wall Street, but there are plenty of great exit options if you start here. Just ask mid-levels at Philly firms where their former colleagues have gone after leaving the firm.
I'm curious about this: do you think the lack of laterals has to do with self-selection? I ask because I'm from the Philadelphia area and really wanted to stay in Philly, but struck out at Philly firms during OCI. I accepted an offer in NY, but I don't foresee myself staying there for too long (unless I meet someone who compels me to). I'd like to come back to Philly eventually, but I'm worried whether this will just be really hard to do. Would it be easier to try and transfer to a Philly firm during 3L OCI?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:41 pm

jcojd wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I've met surprisingly few NYC laterals in Philly firms. It seems like they often want you to have at least 4-5 years of experience, since local firms recognize that in NYC the level of responsibility given to junior associates is typically less that what's routine in Philly. Obviously if your goal is to be in NYC long-term, start there. If you care that the deals/case you work on wind up on the front page of major newspapers, go to NYC. In terms of the work itself, it's not clear that a $2bn deal is inherently more interesting than a $100mn deal. Likewise, on the lit side, Philly firms partake in a range of fascinating, complex cases litigated in the E.D.PA and elsewhere, and your involvement will likely be somewhat significant. It's not the kind of work that will make you an attractive lateral to a NYC V10 or set you up for an in-house position on Wall Street, but there are plenty of great exit options if you start here. Just ask mid-levels at Philly firms where their former colleagues have gone after leaving the firm.
I'm curious about this: do you think the lack of laterals has to do with self-selection? I ask because I'm from the Philadelphia area and really wanted to stay in Philly, but struck out at Philly firms during OCI. I accepted an offer in NY, but I don't foresee myself staying there for too long (unless I meet someone who compels me to). I'd like to come back to Philly eventually, but I'm worried whether this will just be really hard to do. Would it be easier to try and transfer to a Philly firm during 3L OCI?
Let's see if any Philly firms even do 3L OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Are Philly firms finished hiring for this year? I know Pepper at least had some late Sept. CB's.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Which firms in Philly besides Morgan Lewis offer the opportunity of split summers?

How is the non-firm legal job market in Philly?

Also, is having done K-12 in the Philly 'burbs and having pre-lawschool work experience in the city sufficient to establish "ties"?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Assuming similar grades, what is better--Widener/Villanova/Drexel/Temple or T30 with strong ties? I have heard, anecdotally, that Penn students are regarded with suspicion for using Philly for a bit of "experience" and then seeking greener pastures (i.e. NYC, DC, etc.)

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:47 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Assuming similar grades, what is better--Widener/Villanova/Drexel/Temple or T30 with strong ties?
I don't think these are all viewed as one tier. I think most Philly firms view Temple/Villanova and one tier and Drexel/Widener as another tier, with arguably RU/C either in between or on par with Temple/Nova depending on the firm. Particularly, some of the largest Philly firms, like Dechert and Duane Morris, don't even recruit at Widener and Drexel AFAIK. My gut feeling would be that a T30 with the same grades and similar Philly ties would be about the same as Temple/Villanova.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:05 am

Wholigan wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Assuming similar grades, what is better--Widener/Villanova/Drexel/Temple or T30 with strong ties?
I don't think these are all viewed as one tier. I think most Philly firms view Temple/Villanova and one tier and Drexel/Widener as another tier, with arguably RU/C either in between or on par with Temple/Nova depending on the firm. Particularly, some of the largest Philly firms, like Dechert and Duane Morris, don't even recruit at Widener and Drexel AFAIK. My gut feeling would be that a T30 with the same grades and similar Philly ties would be about the same as Temple/Villanova.
I'd imagine Temple has a *slight* edge over Villanova b/c of the recent scandals and attendant rankings plunge.
How about for Philly PI/Gov hiring? I'm talking DA/PD, Legal Aid, city gov't, etc.

Also, since T30s have higher curves than the local schools (barring Penn), how would that figure into the equation? For example, a 2.8 would be terrible for BC/BU/Fordham, but middling for Temple, and awesome for Widener, lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:52 am

PinkLotus wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
I'd imagine Temple has a *slight* edge over Villanova b/c of the recent scandals and attendant rankings plunge.
How about for Philly PI/Gov hiring? I'm talking DA/PD, Legal Aid, city gov't, etc.

Also, since T30s have higher curves than the local schools (barring Penn), how would that figure into the equation? For example, a 2.8 would be terrible for BC/BU/Fordham, but middling for Temple, and awesome for Widener, lol.
I haven't followed recent threads, if any exist, about the equality or lack thereof between Temple and Villanova. But the general view here after the scandal and rankings drop was that it did not give Temple any edge that didn't exist before. That is also my own opinion based on my interviews with Philly firms in 2011 OCI and discussion with various lawyers about Philadelphia hiring.

For DA/PD at least, the general perception in Philadelphia is that Temple produces the most trial-ready graduates. That said, there is a lot of competition among the class for whatever jobs are available. I think you would certainly be better off at Temple for any Phila PD/DA/city gov't job than any other Philly area T2/T3 or a non-Philly T30.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:10 am

Wholigan wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

I haven't followed recent threads, if any exist, about the equality or lack thereof between Temple and Villanova. But the general view here after the scandal and rankings drop was that it did not give Temple any edge that didn't exist before. That is also my own opinion based on my interviews with Philly firms in 2011 OCI and discussion with various lawyers about Philadelphia hiring.

For DA/PD at least, the general perception in Philadelphia is that Temple produces the most trial-ready graduates. That said, there is a lot of competition among the class for whatever jobs are available. I think you would certainly be better off at Temple for any Phila PD/DA/city gov't job than any other Philly area T2/T3 or a non-Philly T30.
Thanks! Maybe I should have more seriously considered Temple, even though my GPA would almost certainly have been worse there than at BC, lol! What would you recommend for a T30 gal with strong Philly ties who wants to go back home? I got a 1L job in Philly this summer doing civil legal aid (DV, immigration/asylum). I plan to also do 2L summer there, and Semester-in-Practice in Philly my 3L spring.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:48 am

PinkLotus wrote:Assuming similar grades, what is better--/Villanova/Drexel/Temple Widener or T30 with strong ties? I have heard, anecdotally, that Penn students are regarded with suspicion for using Philly for a bit of "experience" and then seeking greener pastures (i.e. NYC, DC, etc.)
When you check numerous Philly mid-law web sites (firms paying +$100K) you find a fair percentage of associates from Temple-Nova-Rutgers-Drex-Widener. Cannot say what the odds are of jumping from Philly to NYC, probably much harder to do than it sounds.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Sheffield wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:Assuming similar grades, what is better--/Villanova/Drexel/Temple Widener or T30 with strong ties? I have heard, anecdotally, that Penn students are regarded with suspicion for using Philly for a bit of "experience" and then seeking greener pastures (i.e. NYC, DC, etc.)
When you check numerous Philly mid-law web sites (firms paying +$100K) you find a fair percentage of associates from Temple-Nova-Rutgers-Drex-Widener. Cannot say what the odds are of jumping from Philly to NYC, probably much harder to do than it sounds.
^Surprised about Drexel, considering it's so new and doesn't have as established alum network like the others.

Think it will break the top 100 soon? It's admission stats are closely approximating Temple and Nova.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:27 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

Thanks! Maybe I should have more seriously considered Temple, even though my GPA would almost certainly have been worse there than at BC, lol! What would you recommend for a T30 gal with strong Philly ties who wants to go back home? I got a 1L job in Philly this summer doing civil legal aid (DV, immigration/asylum). I plan to also do 2L summer there, and Semester-in-Practice in Philly my 3L spring.
What you're already doing/planning to do by spending your summers/ externships in Philly is the most important thing. I imagine that for either firm or gov't/PI interviews you will occasionally be asked why you went to school in Boston if you are from Philly and want to work here. But it seems pretty easy to spin, if it's something like because when you entered school the employment numbers were scary and BC just seemed safer in that respect, Boston is similar to Philly in a lot of ways so it seemed like the next best alternative, etc etc.

When I interviewed at firms, I met the occasional associate from schools like Notre Dame, GW, etc. For firms (if you are interested in firms), I would reach out during this semester to any alums who work at the various Philly firms and tell them you are interested in their firm and it seems hard to break into the firm from BC (if that is true and the firm has only 1-2 associates from there or whatever) and you are interested in finding out how they did it. Tell them you will be working in Philly this summer and see if they have time to meet for coffee or whatever.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:47 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
Sheffield wrote:
^Surprised about Drexel, considering it's so new and doesn't have as established alum network like the others.

Think it will break the top 100 soon? It's admission stats are closely approximating Temple and Nova.
While Drexel is relatively new its employment stats are better than some schools in the top 100…. so there is reasonable hope Drexel can crack tier 2. Unfortunately, as a current tier 3/4 Drexel has no numbered ranking, so it is impossible to say if Drexel is already close to #100 or much further down the food chain. My wishy-washy optimistic guess is yes.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Sheffield wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
Sheffield wrote:

While Drexel is relatively new its employment stats are better than some schools in the top 100…. so there is reasonable hope Drexel can crack tier 2. Unfortunately, as a current tier 3/4 Drexel has no numbered ranking, so it is impossible to say if Drexel is already close to #100 or much further down the food chain. My wishy-washy optimistic guess is yes.
Actually, according to its wiki: "The Earle Mack school of law was ranked #119 of #145 ranked schools on the 2013 list of "Best Law Schools" by U.S. News & World Report." Remember, USNWR changed the ranking system last year?

Oh, and re: Wholigan's comment, I'm worried that if I give that justification, employers might think I'm "bashing" the local schools--even though, objectively speaking, BC has much better job stats that Widener/Nova/RUC/Nova and to a lesser extent, Temple.

Will having worked with DV victims pre-law school screw me over when applying Philly PD? It was in a non-legal capacity (hotline advocate)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”