Success of people targeting Florida BigLaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Success of people targeting Florida BigLaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My definition of a midlaw/biglaw hybrid is a market-paying firm that isn't truly national. In Miami this is Bilzin, Gunster, Carlton Fields. Orlando and Tampa have HIll Ward, Lowndes, GrayRobinson, Burr, and Fowler. Jax has Rogers Towers and Smith Busey. All of these are good firms, and a firm like Lowndes is considered by many to be the premier office in Orlando.

As for T14s, it is much harder to land Miami than NY. Generally it requires strong ties; however, I have seen some people with virtually no ties land at big firms by having a compelling story (White & Case). To give you an idea of how competitive it is, Skadden NY is expecting 67 SA's in that office this year. There are only around 40 SA spots total in Miami.
CCNer here. I have an offer from one of the above mentioned firms. Currently choosing between V40 NYC firm and the FL mid/biglaw. My wife and I pretty much cant stand NY and would love to return to FL. My debt load will be low (30-40k). Obviously the NY firm does larger work, but Im way more interested in QOL than the work. So, my question is... is there a reason I should take the big firm?

Wrt ties, my callback interview with the FL firm said they have 3 requirements for SAs to be hired: 1. Great grades 2. Native of location of the office 3. Cant be an asshole. At least in my experience, ties are mad important.
The situation might be different with a V5 or even V10 if you want corporate work, but I would take the FL firm any day if its just a random big NYC firm. Florida firms LOVE to hire laterals from the super prestigious national firms, but a V40 probably wouldn't be worth it.

Also, what's a V40?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My definition of a midlaw/biglaw hybrid is a market-paying firm that isn't truly national. In Miami this is Bilzin, Gunster, Carlton Fields. Orlando and Tampa have HIll Ward, Lowndes, GrayRobinson, Burr, and Fowler. Jax has Rogers Towers and Smith Busey. All of these are good firms, and a firm like Lowndes is considered by many to be the premier office in Orlando.

As for T14s, it is much harder to land Miami than NY. Generally it requires strong ties; however, I have seen some people with virtually no ties land at big firms by having a compelling story (White & Case). To give you an idea of how competitive it is, Skadden NY is expecting 67 SA's in that office this year. There are only around 40 SA spots total in Miami.
CCNer here. I have an offer from one of the above mentioned firms. Currently choosing between V40 NYC firm and the FL mid/biglaw. My wife and I pretty much cant stand NY and would love to return to FL. My debt load will be low (30-40k). Obviously the NY firm does larger work, but Im way more interested in QOL than the work. So, my question is... is there a reason I should take the big firm?

Wrt ties, my callback interview with the FL firm said they have 3 requirements for SAs to be hired: 1. Great grades 2. Native of location of the office 3. Cant be an asshole. At least in my experience, ties are mad important.
The situation might be different with a V5 or even V10 if you want corporate work, but I would take the FL firm any day if its just a random big NYC firm. Florida firms LOVE to hire laterals from the super prestigious national firms, but a V40 probably wouldn't be worth it.

Also, what's a V40?
Cadwalader.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:20 pm

I would take the FL firm over Cadwalader. Especially if you know you want to be in FL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:23 pm

FSU top 5% + LR here, accepted h&k offer yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FSU top 5% + LR here, accepted h&k offer yesterday.
Office?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:03 pm

orlando

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:orlando
Check you no-offers from last yr bro

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
I don't know about Central FL, but SoFla had a 100% offer rate after summer 2012.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FSU top 5% + LR here, accepted h&k offer yesterday.
Anyone at FSU have any luck at fowler white?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
I don't know about Central FL, but SoFla had a 100% offer rate after summer 2012.
Last year in Miami H & K went 3 for 4 (75%)......

Their NALP form indicates H & K expected to hire 5 SAs this summer in Miami. However, that number was recently reduced to 3. That is not a good sign. Just be careful...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Orlando did not do full offers. I don't recall the number, but I think it was about half.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:46 pm

no idea about fowler white. haven't heard anything, but people here haven't been the most open about oci given generally poor results. my impression is that it's been a rough go for fsu this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:40 pm

how hard would miami biglaw be for me? currently clerking for a district judge in the central district of california. top 5% of T100 law school (not in FL). fiance is from miami and has an offer with a small firm there for next year. do i have any shot?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:how hard would miami biglaw be for me? currently clerking for a district judge in the central district of california. top 5% of T100 law school (not in FL). fiance is from miami and has an offer with a small firm there for next year. do i have any shot?
Hard to say. Can you be more specific about the school? In the last three years people from UF and UMiami needed at least top 10% to have even a slight chance.

Top 5% at an out-of-state, non T-14 school with no ties, while an admirable accomplishment, may not do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 am

LS is in the northeast. i'm gonna contact the few alums of my LS who work at miami firms when I begin my job search in december. my fiance is from there; firms wouldn't see this as a strong enough tie? do you think the clerkship from a "prestigious" district could help at least land me an interview or two?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:LS is in the northeast. i'm gonna contact the few alums of my LS who work at miami firms when I begin my job search in december. my fiance is from there; firms wouldn't see this as a strong enough tie? do you think the clerkship from a "prestigious" district could help at least land me an interview or two?
By clerkship do you mean a judicial internship? If so, this generally doesn't mean much. Tons of people do 1L summer federal district court judicial internships. You can probably get some interviews though. Give it a shot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Anyone hear anything from Fowler white & Boggs? Had a cb...still waiting. Specifically students from FSU/UF/UM/Stetson.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Fowler white & Boggs? Had a cb...still waiting. Specifically students from FSU/UF/UM/Stetson.
Egregious Nova/St. Thomas/Florida A & M/Ave Maria/Barry trolling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear anything from Fowler white & Boggs? Had a cb...still waiting. Specifically students from FSU/UF/UM/Stetson.
Egregious Nova/St. Thomas/Florida A & M/Ave Maria/Barry trolling.
Anyone hear anything from Fowler white & Boggs? Had a cb...still waiting. Specifically students from FSU/UF/UM/Stetson/Nova/St. Thomas/Florida A & M/Ave Maria/Barry.......

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:32 pm

when was your CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
when was your CB?
About 3 weeks ago... give or take a few days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:43 am

gdane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LS is in the northeast. i'm gonna contact the few alums of my LS who work at miami firms when I begin my job search in december. my fiance is from there; firms wouldn't see this as a strong enough tie? do you think the clerkship from a "prestigious" district could help at least land me an interview or two?
By clerkship do you mean a judicial internship? If so, this generally doesn't mean much. Tons of people do 1L summer federal district court judicial internships. You can probably get some interviews though. Give it a shot.
No, I am currently clerking for a district judge. My clerkship ends next Sept

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote: No, I am currently clerking for a district judge. My clerkship ends next Sept
That's awesome! An actual clerkship may help.

Just try. You don't lose anything. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:16 pm

im guessing by the silence on this thread that no one's heard anything else, or been rejected?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:11 pm

H & K miami is full. Sorry if anyone is still waiting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”