Success of people targeting Florida BigLaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Success of people targeting Florida BigLaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm

msblaw89 wrote:1L here at or very close top top 10% at T14 also a Florida resident. Anyone know of any Florida firms that would be worth applying to?
I applied all over as a 1L and basically every NALP firm in FL I emailed said they didn't take 1Ls. I also checked in with midlaw firms in my hometown. Maybe things are better now than when I applied though.

I had what I imagine to be pretty similar stats to you: top 5 people at a T25 and a FL resident.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:1L here at or very close top top 10% at T14 also a Florida resident. Anyone know of any Florida firms that would be worth applying to?
I applied all over as a 1L and basically every NALP firm in FL I emailed said they didn't take 1Ls. I also checked in with midlaw firms in my hometown. Maybe things are better now than when I applied though.

I had what I imagine to be pretty similar stats to you: top 5 people at a T25 and a FL resident.
You're probably SOL if you're talking about biglaw. If you're talking midlaw you're also probably SOL. While chances at a decent firm are pretty much out for this summer, if you want a chance for next summer make sure you do something in the general area (if you're trying to work in SoFla, then try to work there). I was asked by every interviewer if I was sure I wanted to be in the area even though I am a resident, have my entire family in the area, went to UG instate, and did 1L summer in the area. It seemed very important to them. If you have specific questions let me know and I'll PM you.
-T14 2L w/ FL Biglaw SA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You're probably SOL if you're talking about biglaw. If you're talking midlaw you're also probably SOL. While chances at a decent firm are pretty much out for this summer, if you want a chance for next summer make sure you do something in the general area (if you're trying to work in SoFla, then try to work there). I was asked by every interviewer if I was sure I wanted to be in the area even though I am a resident, have my entire family in the area, went to UG instate, and did 1L summer in the area. It seemed very important to them. If you have specific questions let me know and I'll PM you.
-T14 2L w/ FL Biglaw SA.
I'm the anon you quoted. I'm a 3L and I was just trying to give the 1L I quoted a feel for how sparse Fla. 1L SAs are. I've always had the sense that 1L SAs are very very hard to come by outside of Alabama and Texas.

Your second point is absolutely credited. I had the exact same issues as you did despite the same degree of connections to Florida. Florida firms will be suspicious about your intent to stay in Florida unless you go to a Florida law school.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:15 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Jessuf wrote:Carlton Fields takes 1L SAs, even from T3 FL schools.
Have they in the past 3 years? I called multiple offices multiple years. They told me that they weren't taking 2Ls -- let alone 1Ls -- and that they were still working through their backlog of deferred associates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Omerta wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Carlton Fields takes 1L SAs, even from T3 FL schools.
Have they in the past 3 years? I called multiple offices multiple years. They told me that they weren't taking 2Ls -- let alone 1Ls -- and that they were still working through their backlog of deferred associates.
I know a 2L at my t14 doing a SA at their miami office.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Calton Fields Miami, Bilzin Sumberg, and Sterns Weaver take 1L's. Send them your stuff (cover letter, resume, transcript). Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 am

gdane wrote:Calton Fields Miami, Bilzin Sumberg, and Sterns Weaver take 1L's. Send them your stuff (cover letter, resume, transcript). Good luck.
Although their NALP form said otherwise, Miami's Bilzin is NOT taking 1Ls. At least, I applied to them and they sent me a letter in the mail saying that they appreciated my application, thought I was a very strong applicant, etc, and encourage me to apply again next year because they are only looking for 2Ls this year.

Now I dunno if firms ever lie about only hiring 2Ls (I'd imagine not seeing as how they have little-to-no reason to do so...), but just thought I'd share that for those still looking for firms to apply to.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gdane wrote:Calton Fields Miami, Bilzin Sumberg, and Sterns Weaver take 1L's. Send them your stuff (cover letter, resume, transcript). Good luck.
Although their NALP form said otherwise, Miami's Bilzin is NOT taking 1Ls. At least, I applied to them and they sent me a letter in the mail saying that they appreciated my application, thought I was a very strong applicant, etc, and encourage me to apply again next year because they are only looking for 2Ls this year.

Now I dunno if firms ever lie about only hiring 2Ls (I'd imagine not seeing as how they have little-to-no reason to do so...), but just thought I'd share that for those still looking for firms to apply to.
Bilzin told me the same thing last year (got a very nice letter from Jessica) about how they only took 2Ls and to apply for next summer through OCI. Bilzin hired a 1L from Vanderbilt last year.

Seems like a nice way of rejecting you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:45 am

how do you find the offer rate of particular firms on the nalp website?

jess

Post by jess » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 pm

gdane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bilzin told me the same thing last year (got a very nice letter from Jessica) about how they only took 2Ls and to apply for next summer through OCI. Bilzin hired a 1L from Vanderbilt last year.

Seems like a nice way of rejecting you.
Same anon here:

You may totally be right. Though, without knowing the specific circumstances of the Vanderbilt person, maybe not. In any case, I assume you know more about what that Vandy person had to offer and all that so I'll just take your word :) Frustrating to get rejected by your #1 choice for a Florida firm without even having any of your grades come in :\

That's life.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Keep trying once you get your grades in. Take a look at "mid" level firms like Jackson Lewis, Gunster, Morgan Lewis, Berger Singerman, etc.

But, South Florida Biglaw is a bitch to get, especially as a 1L. Keep your 1L summer options open. If anything just have fun 1L summer and look forward to 2L OCI. Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:58 pm

gdane wrote:Keep trying once you get your grades in. Take a look at "mid" level firms like Jackson Lewis, Gunster, Morgan Lewis, Berger Singerman, etc.

But, South Florida Biglaw is a bitch to get, especially as a 1L. Keep your 1L summer options open. If anything just have fun 1L summer and look forward to 2L OCI. Good luck.
And when you do, PLEASE do yourself a favor and apply to other markets as well (if you go to a non-FL school). I know far too many people with outstanding qualifications who struck out of Florida biglaw and didn't have a backup plan, but would have been a shoe-in for biglaw in a larger, less insular market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:24 am

badaboom61 wrote:
gdane wrote:Keep trying once you get your grades in. Take a look at "mid" level firms like Jackson Lewis, Gunster, Morgan Lewis, Berger Singerman, etc.

And when you do, PLEASE do yourself a favor and apply to other markets as well (if you go to a non-FL school). I know far too many people with outstanding qualifications who struck out of Florida biglaw and didn't have a backup plan, but would have been a shoe-in for biglaw in a larger, less insular market.
Thanks for this input! Greatly appreciated :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:19 pm

yeah FL is looking bleak. lower t14 1L, went to HS in south florida and UF for undergrad. Literally emailed every firm on NALP and got nothing but a couple of "let us know when you get grades," other than that tons of "no 1Ls this year"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Any news on this front?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yeah FL is looking bleak. lower t14 1L, went to HS in south florida and UF for undergrad. Literally emailed every firm on NALP and got nothing but a couple of "let us know when you get grades," other than that tons of "no 1Ls this year"
1L jobs in Florida are an absolute joke. Very few firms hire. Stearns Weaver hires 3-4 but is crazy selective, usually wants Wachtell-esque credentials. Bilzin interviewed 1L's last year for one spot; I'm not sure if they even filled it. I know several excellent firms in Jax cancelled their summer programs.

2L hiring is not much better. Congrats to those of you who get Florida biglaw, but I would never put all yours eggs in that basket.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 am

I'm a Florida native who went to undergrad here and will be a 1L at Yale. Is coming back to Florida after I graduate something I should even look at, especially if I don't plan to do an SA here? I'd like to end up back in FL at some point down the line but from what I'm reading here the market is ridiculously insular even if I do have ties.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a Florida native who went to undergrad here and will be a 1L at Yale. Is coming back to Florida after I graduate something I should even look at, especially if I don't plan to do an SA here? I'd like to end up back in FL at some point down the line but from what I'm reading here the market is ridiculously insular even if I do have ties.
Ties plus Yale? I think you're a lock for whatever biglaw job you want kid.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:17 pm

gdane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a Florida native who went to undergrad here and will be a 1L at Yale. Is coming back to Florida after I graduate something I should even look at, especially if I don't plan to do an SA here? I'd like to end up back in FL at some point down the line but from what I'm reading here the market is ridiculously insular even if I do have ties.
Ties plusYale? I think you're a lock for whatever biglaw job you want kid.
FTFY

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 am

bump?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:bump?
Post non-anonymously w/ your questions and I'll PM you answers. Rising 3L at T14 doing Miami Biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Interested in going to Orlando or Tampa mid/big law once I finish my clerkship. Top 15% & LR at Duke/UVA/Vandy. Clerking for an A3 judge in the Middle District of Florida upon graduation and did my SA at a V100 firm in NYC/DC.

Do I have a decent shot? Anything I need to do to make myself more competitive? Girlfriend's family is from Central Florida, I'm not from Florida but did UG at UF/FSU.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”