How far can a connection reach?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How far can a connection reach?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 am

A managing partner of a v15 firm works closely with my mother. He is located in the D.C office, but I am seeking employment in NYC. Would his connection help me to get into his firms office in NYC, although he is located in DC?

anon168

Re: How far can a connection reach?

Postby anon168 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:A managing partner of a v15 firm works closely with my mother. He is located in the D.C office, but I am seeking employment in NYC. Would his connection help me to get into his firms office in NYC, although he is located in DC?

It can't hurt.

A connection like that can make a marginal candidate into a viable one. But if you aren't even marginal without the connection, that sort of relationship isn't going to get you very far.

Also, what do you mean by "works closely with my mother"? If the he is a MP, what does your mom do? Are they peers (e.g. co-counsel), is she a client (e.g., she is a GC and gives business to the firm), or a vendor for the firm, (e.g. her company leases office space to the firm), or is she a legal assistant for him? The dynamics of that relationship will also determine how far that connection will get you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 am

His firm respresents my mothers company. She works very closely with him. ( meeting about 1 or 2 times a week)

anon168

Postby anon168 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:His firm respresents my mothers company. She works very closely with him. ( meeting about 1 or 2 times a week)

Then I revise my answer above. Definitely use it, and use it to your advantage. It will get you far.

EDIT: Let me add that you should use this connection tactfully, which probably goes without saying. If your mom is going to pull the strings, she should be subtle and indirect about it, even though she is technically the one in position of power vis-a-vis the MP.

Have her drop a hint like, "Y'know, Mr. MP, my son is in law school and he's looking at various firms for [a summer job? perm employment?], and he's been focused on really prestigious firms doing high-end sophisticated work. I would urge him, of course, to apply to your firm here, but he wants to practice in NYC. Any idea if your NYC office is hiring?"

tim.janitor

Postby tim.janitor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:A managing partner of a v15 firm works closely with my mother. He is located in the D.C office, but I am seeking employment in NYC. Would his connection help me to get into his firms office in NYC, although he is located in DC?

Like the other poster said. Your stats/interviews will have to be decent for this connection to work. If you're top 20% at a TTT it won't matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 pm

They can help, but keep two things in mind. One, you have to have the rank first, they will help you get the job or at least the interview over someone similarly situated in law school. Two, no matter how good your connections are, someone has better connections. The partner who your mom is friends with? His best client's son is also in law school. Your uncle is a partner, someone's dad is the managing partner. etc etc etc

Bottom line, use whatever you can, but don't count on it, and make sure you get the grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”