buy your own health insurance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

buy your own health insurance?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm considering an offer from a top firm in a secondary market. The firms pays well (110), but the benefits section of their website says that they offer subsidized health plans. Is this common, or do most major firms provide health insurance?

rad lulz

Re: buy your own health insurance?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering an offer from a top firm in a secondary market. The firms pays well (110), but the benefits section of their website says that they offer subsidized health plans. Is this common, or do most major firms provide health insurance?

Don't buy health insurance. Obama gon give you some bro.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering an offer from a top firm in a secondary market. The firms pays well (110), but the benefits section of their website says that they offer subsidized health plans. Is this common, or do most major firms provide health insurance?

Most do, and I think "market" is like 60% subsidy for single associates, but don't quote me on that. I believe it wildly varies firm to firm. A lot of good firms give TTT benefits.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:45 am

My dad's a partner at a V100 in a major market and he still has to buy his insurance, it's just somewhat subsidized. It's probably pretty common.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

My dad's a partner at a V100 in a major market and he still has to buy his insurance, it's just somewhat subsidized. It's probably pretty common.

Equity partner? If so, he's not an employee, and the policy may well be different for associates.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 pm

clintonius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Equity partner? If so, he's not an employee, and the policy may well be different for associates.

The situation anon described is not uncommon for equity dudes. Clint is right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Most do, and I think "market" is like 60% subsidy for single associates, but don't quote me on that. I believe it wildly varies firm to firm. A lot of good firms give TTT benefits.

Yeah, 60% is market in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Not sure if this is 60% or not, but just started at my V20 firm in NYC and we pay ~$3000/year for individual health/dental/vision insurance. Basically is about $115 every paycheck (every 2 weeks or so).

Return to “Legal Employment”