Have a job offer when I graduate; what to do this summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Have a job offer when I graduate; what to do this summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 pm

2L here. I have a standing job offer when I graduate at a small boutique firm. This is a huge relief, obviously, but this firm doesn't hire interns. As such, I'm unsure what to pursue this summer. I pay all of my own bills, so some kind of income this summer would be nice. I pretty much struck out in OCI (I have one more interview left, but I'm not optimistic about it).

Given my good fortune regarding future employment, I don't feel pressured to enter frantic mass-mailing mode. But I need to do something productive this summer, or at least make some money.

I thought of pursuing a judicial internship in my area, but (1) they are unpaid, which means more debt; and (2) the firm that gave me an offer does almost exclusively transactional work.

What would you guys do if you were in my position?

Anonymous User

Re: Have a job offer when I graduate; what to do this summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here. I have a standing job offer when I graduate at a small boutique firm. This is a huge relief, obviously, but this firm doesn't hire interns. As such, I'm unsure what to pursue this summer. I pay all of my own bills, so some kind of income this summer would be nice. I pretty much struck out in OCI (I have one more interview left, but I'm not optimistic about it).

Given my good fortune regarding future employment, I don't feel pressured to enter frantic mass-mailing mode. But I need to do something productive this summer, or at least make some money.

I thought of pursuing a judicial internship in my area, but (1) they are unpaid, which means more debt; and (2) the firm that gave me an offer does almost exclusively transactional work.

What would you guys do if you were in my position?
Looking for in-house/GC positions at corporations?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Take the Bar.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 pm

interested in how you got this offer. although it would be more debt doing an internship that you school will give you course credit for could make for a pretty nice 3L year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 pm

anon168 wrote:Take the Bar.
I'm a 2L, not a 3L.
interested in how you got this offer.
I was introduced to a partner my Freshman year of college. Kept in touch, and did well in school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Definitely in-house work. Good experience, great connections for exit options. resume boost.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Why don't you work at the firm that has given you a "standing offer? At least working there for free will solidify this offer

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why don't you work at the firm that has given you a "standing offer? At least working there for free will solidify this offer
what if they are like "wow this guy does shit work" and rescinds the offer?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 pm

TCR is to work anywhere that will give you some real work experience so the job doesn't can you if you perform terribly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NewYorkStork

New

Post by NewYorkStork » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Not to be paranoid, but life experience tells me that anything can happen in two years. If there is any economic pressure on them, rescinding your offer would probably be at the top of their list. Considering you want money, and just so that you can have a firm to compare with, and because two offers is better than one, I would personally still mass mail if I were in your position. You don't need to do it with the same passion and insanity as others who need an offer, but I still think it's your best choice. Furthermore, it's likely going to be the most similar work to what you'll be doing at the boutique.

Otherwise, I would agree with the person who said you should do whatever will give you the best relative work experience.

Good luck and congrats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:18 pm

In House/GC would be good. Small/mid-law would be good too. A government position would probably be enjoyable, and being a research assistant would likely be very relaxed and paid.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:Take the Bar.
I'm a 2L, not a 3L.
Yes, I know. I passed reading comprehension in 3rd grade.

You can take the Bar before you graduate from law school.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Damn that would be the most relaxing 3L! Job lined up and already passed the bar!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:00 pm

anon168 wrote:You can take the Bar before you graduate from law school.
Lol, this is explicitly forbidden in all the states I've ever looked.

You need proof of graduation just to apply to take the bar in NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Yes, I know. I passed reading comprehension in 3rd grade.

You can take the Bar before you graduate from law school.
CA and one or two other states are the only ones where, AFAIK, you can take the bar without graduating law school. Even then, there are more requirements than are rumored. To take the bar after your second year in CA, im pretty sure you have to have passed the baby bar. I looked into taking the bar after 1L because I heard you could take the bar at any time in CA, but turns out it wasn't true and I wasn't eligible.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
anon168 wrote:You can take the Bar before you graduate from law school.
Lol, this is explicitly forbidden in all the states I've ever looked.

You need proof of graduation just to apply to take the bar in NY.
From the NY Bar Examiners:

520.3 Study of Law in Law School (effective April 1, 2012)

(a) General. An applicant may qualify to take the New York State bar examination by submitting to the New York State Board of Law Examiners satisfactory proof that:

(1) the applicant attended and was graduated with a first degree in law from an approved law school; or

(2) the applicant attended and successfully completed the prescribed course of instruction required for a first degree in law at an approved law school, but has not been awarded the degree as of the date proof of eligibility to sit for the bar examination is required to be filed with the State Board of Law Examiners. The State Board of Law Examiners shall not certify the applicant for admission to the bar pursuant to section 520.7(a) of this Part until the applicant has presented satisfactory proof that the applicant has been awarded a first degree in law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 pm

anon168 wrote:From the NY Bar Examiners:

520.3 Study of Law in Law School (effective April 1, 2012)

(a) General. An applicant may qualify to take the New York State bar examination by submitting to the New York State Board of Law Examiners satisfactory proof that:

(1) the applicant attended and was graduated with a first degree in law from an approved law school; or

(2) the applicant attended and successfully completed the prescribed course of instruction required for a first degree in law at an approved law school, but has not been awarded the degree as of the date proof of eligibility to sit for the bar examination is required to be filed with the State Board of Law Examiners. The State Board of Law Examiners shall not certify the applicant for admission to the bar pursuant to section 520.7(a) of this Part until the applicant has presented satisfactory proof that the applicant has been awarded a first degree in law.
So, they require either proof that you graduated, or that you've already completed all the requirements to graduate. Still won't let you take it as a 2L.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 am

I know someone who took the Texas bar before she'd graduated. But she took it in Feb. of her 3L year, not during 2L.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:31 am

Take the job that will pay you money. You might have an offer but you still need money to live on, experience and connections.

Don't work for free if you, like most people, need money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I know someone who took the Texas bar before she'd graduated. But she took it in Feb. of her 3L year, not during 2L.
In TX you can apply and take the bar before graduating. You will need to have 86 hours (it might be 84) at the time you are certified for the bar exam. The hard part for most people is the grades for that 86th hour will not be in either in time or with enough time for the TBE to certify.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”