Post-Clerkship Firm Strategy Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-Clerkship Firm Strategy

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Doing a CoA clerkship next year, and essentially what I'm wondering is, is it possible to shop for other firms while keeping an offer from your 2L SA firm open?

I liked my SA firm fine and would have no real problem going back there, but there are probably at least a few places I might prefer instead (some of them boutiques that don't really have 2L SA programs). My SA firm wants a response by September (when I will have just started my clerkship), but it seems like that would be well before post-clerkship hiring at other firms starts, no? Is that typical? Do people who want to trade up post-clerkship usually have to turn down their SA firm before having something else lined up? That seems risky to me, and if that's the case, it's probably not a risk I would be willing to take.

Would appreciate any advice from people who have been in a similar situation.

anon168

Silver

Re: Post-Clerkship Firm Strategy

Post by anon168 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Doing a CoA clerkship next year, and essentially what I'm wondering is, is it possible to shop for other firms while keeping an offer from your 2L SA firm open?

I liked my SA firm fine and would have no real problem going back there, but there are probably at least a few places I might prefer instead (some of them boutiques that don't really have 2L SA programs). My SA firm wants a response by September (when I will have just started my clerkship), but it seems like that would be well before post-clerkship hiring at other firms starts, no? Is that typical? Do people who want to trade up post-clerkship usually have to turn down their SA firm before having something else lined up? That seems risky to me, and if that's the case, it's probably not a risk I would be willing to take.

Would appreciate any advice from people who have been in a similar situation.
I shopped my myself while clerking. People do it all the time.

Tell your SA firm that you cannot accept by September because your judge doesn't want you accepting a firm offer while working as a law clerk.

apparentlynew

New

Post by apparentlynew » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Tell your SA firm that you cannot accept by September because your judge doesn't want you accepting a firm offer while working as a law clerk.
Motion to suggest that you only do this if it's also true. If your firm has associates or partners who have clerked for or otherwise know your judge, lying about this might be easily exposed, right?

ryanmot

New

Post by ryanmot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 pm

apparentlynew wrote:
Motion to suggest that you only do this if it's also true. If your firm has associates or partners who have clerked for or otherwise know your judge, lying about this might be easily exposed, right?
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”