Waitlisted

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Waitlisted

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:37 pm

I had a CB with a firm 4+ weeks ago and have since followed-up twice reiterating my interest. I haven't heard back yet. What should I do??? Is it common for firms to have waitlists this late in the game?? Does anyone have experience getting an offer after being waitlisted for so long?

Anonymous User

Re: Waitlisted

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 pm

A waitlist is definitely a thing, particularly if it's a small summer class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Can I ask what city your CB was in? I believe I might be in the same position as you...

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can I ask what city your CB was in? I believe I might be in the same position as you...

Yea, because it must be the same firm that is waiting to back to both of you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 pm

NY, what about yours?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:09 pm

3/4 pending cbs were all a long time ago (one 4+ weeks the others around 3 weeks) all in NY... i think its fairly common

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can I ask what city your CB was in? I believe I might be in the same position as you...

Yea, because it must be the same firm that is waiting to back to both of you.

So it is common to be on a waitlist for that long? I would've thought that by this point they would have either rejected me, given me an offer, or at least let me know what's going on..

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:13 pm

This has been repeated ad nauseum, but if you have another offer, call the firm and tell them you have a deadline and would like a decision. If you don't have an offer, your time and energy should be spent applying for more jobs or preparing for interviews rather than worrying about what's going on with a firm you interviewed with four weeks ago. I know it is hard to wait, and it is great that you have not been rejected because it means there is a slim chance (although some firms never formally reject you), but, especially if it is an NY firm, your chances are pretty low four weeks out unless the class is tiny. If it has been a couple weeks since you last expressed interest, you can call and re-express interest and ask if they have made any progress if it would make you feel better, but at a certain point, you have to move on and hope for the best.

So it is common to be on a wait list that long?

I am still on the wait list for Winstion & Strawn NY from over a year ago
Last edited by somewhatwayward on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3/4 pending cbs were all a long time ago (one 4+ weeks the others around 3 weeks) all in NY... i think its fairly common

i'm surprised by the 4+ week wait, especially given the 28 day NALP limit on accepting an offer. i guess that must put us at the very bottom of the waitlists?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:22 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

Have you been following up with them every two weeks for the past year?

Seriously, though.. I'm running out of options. I've spent most of my time and energy over the last month applying to jobs. If there's anything I can do to push myself off that waitlist (and into the offer pile) I'd like to do it..

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:

Have you been following up with them every two weeks for the past year?

Seriously, though.. I'm running out of options. I've spent most of my time and energy over the last month applying to jobs. If there's anything I can do to push myself off that waitlist (and into the offer pile) I'd like to do it..

I was following up with them about once a week until for about nine months until I received a temporary order of protection restraining me from calling them r coming within 500 feet of their office or their legal recruiters....just kidding

But in all seriousness I don't think there is anything else you can do to get into the offer pile except (1) get another offer or (2) wait it out...is this a firm with a really small class? They may have a small number of offers out there and they are waiting to hear from the people before extending anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm going to go on a limb here and guess the firm's name starts with an S?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Same position as OP...been 6+ weeks after callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm

firm name starts with SN?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 pm

also going on 4+ weeks with a NY firm with a relatively large summer class, already sent a LOCI noting another deadline, considering sending another

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Also on a wait list.. 3 people from my school got a callback (including me) for a particular office with 10sh people. One of them got an offer two weeks ago this week, which was two weeks after my cb. At that point I sent a loic and they replied a couple days later saying they hoped to have an update for me the following week. I havent heard anything since then, but I found out the other guy with a cb from my school had gotten rejected in the week after my loic. Seeing as I didn't get a rejection email + the response to my loic it makes me feel I might be high on the waitlist. If I don't hear anything at the two week mark from my loic is it wise to send another loic saying I'd definitely take the offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Can I ask how you guys are sending LOCIs. Is it via e-mail? And to whom? Thanks so much, I'd really appreciate it (also appear to be waitlisted).

ryanmot

Postby ryanmot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also on a wait list.. 3 people from my school got a callback (including me) for a particular office with 10sh people. One of them got an offer two weeks ago this week, which was two weeks after my cb. At that point I sent a loic and they replied a couple days later saying they hoped to have an update for me the following week. I havent heard anything since then, but I found out the other guy with a cb from my school had gotten rejected in the week after my loic. Seeing as I didn't get a rejection email + the response to my loic it makes me feel I might be high on the waitlist. If I don't hear anything at the two week mark from my loic is it wise to send another loic saying I'd definitely take the offer?

It's simple. This firm probably has an offer outstanding and they have an offer letter or rejection letter both with your name on it ready to go. The one you get is dependent on the decision of the person who is holding the offer open. Therefore, the letter of continued interest won't really help.

The only way I could possibly see it helping is if your on the waitlist and someone else is as well and they aren't sure which one they would give the offer to off the waitlist.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Just write them off. If they aren't going to take the two minutes to let you know you're still being under consideration, it's because you aren't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 pm

What's the protocol on LOCIs exactly? I am in a similar position to OP, going on 5 weeks post-CB and nothing. I haven't contacted the firm because I haven't gotten an offer from anywhere and I feel like asking for a status update/"expressing continued interest" is an invitation for a ding.

If you're on a waitlist and ask for an update then it seems like they would just ding you and make their life easier. Also, doesn't it scream desperado? I'd rather stay low on the waitlist and maintain that tiny sliver of hope than be like "hey, what's up with my app bro? don't you like me?" and then get a quick "ding ding ding, no we don't, thanks bud."

Am I wrong about this? Should I LOCI these WL firms because everyone else is and I don't want them to forget about me?

ETA: why does everything have to be a total fucking crapshoot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the protocol on LOCIs exactly? I am in a similar position to OP, going on 5 weeks post-CB and nothing. I haven't contacted the firm because I haven't gotten an offer from anywhere and I feel like asking for a status update/"expressing continued interest" is an invitation for a ding.

If you're on a waitlist and ask for an update then it seems like they would just ding you and make their life easier. Also, doesn't it scream desperado? I'd rather stay low on the waitlist and maintain that tiny sliver of hope than be like "hey, what's up with my app bro? don't you like me?" and then get a quick "ding ding ding, no we don't, thanks bud."

Am I wrong about this? Should I LOCI these WL firms because everyone else is and I don't want them to forget about me?

i'm not sure if it helps but i think some people feel better physically doing something rather than sit around. i sent the 5 firms i was waiting on a letter expressing continued interest w/o another offer and havent been dinged by any of them yet ( sent the emails like 2 weeks ago) but obviously didnt really help :p

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:18 pm

if you haven't heard from them at all, you SHOULD contact them to determine if you're even on the waitlist. if you are, then i agree with the general sentiment here that your continued interest won't matter since your offer is pretty much contingent on other offers being rejected. still, i would express your interest since it might make a difference between who gets an offer first off the waitlist (i imagine they have 1-3 candidates on the waitlist depending on their summer's size).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the protocol on LOCIs exactly? I am in a similar position to OP, going on 5 weeks post-CB and nothing. I haven't contacted the firm because I haven't gotten an offer from anywhere and I feel like asking for a status update/"expressing continued interest" is an invitation for a ding.

ETA: why does everything have to be a total fucking crapshoot?

You sending a LOCI and it resulting in a quick ding means you were never high on the waitlist. In the end, you don't increase your chances you just find out faster you've been dinged. They would not ding someone they placed priority on in a WL. You just are afraid of finding out you've been dinged and closing that linger of hope.

--ImageRemoved--

With that said, sending a LOCI seems extremely stupid in my opinion. Strong desperate. What you should do is call and ask for an update, that's perfectly fine, even if you don't have an offer to update them on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Got off two waitlists today. One with which I didn't have any correspondence after the callback, the other with which I was in weekly contact. These things do happen, good luck all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got off two waitlists today. One with which I didn't have any correspondence after the callback, the other with which I was in weekly contact. These things do happen, good luck all!

that's awesome! congrats! how long were you waitlisted? which market(s)?

Return to “Legal Employment”