background check

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

background check

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi all, I have searched the forum regarding the background check firms conduct but have not found one that si related to my situation.

I have medical debt outstanding (3K) and have not made payments, anyone know how firms look at this?

Ludo!

Re: background check

Postby Ludo! » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, I have searched the forum regarding the background check firms conduct but have not found one that si related to my situation.

I have medical debt outstanding (3K) and have not made payments, anyone know how firms look at this?

Did it go to collections already? It might be a bad thing if you never made any payments and don't plan on ever paying it. How long ago was it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 pm

It did go to collection, and this debt is from last year. I do plan on paying it, but I've been slow with making a payment plan with the hospital. However, I did have insurance and that paid for the majority of it.
How would this look?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Also, on a related question, would they really do the background check within a week of my CB? Since i was told I will hear within a week, and if so should I contact the hospital and make a plan with them right away?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:28 pm

I don't know for sure. I have really bad credit and was legit worried I would hear something about it last year when my firm did their background check. But I didn't have anything in default or gone to collections, and I passed my check just fine. I would try to work out a payment plan of some kind as soon as possible. If I had to guess I would say you won't get dinged for it, only because I've never actually heard of anybody getting an offer rescinded for credit problems. But I'd be ready for an explanation for it just in case.

I'm sure you've got some time though. Most firms don't do background checks right away. Mine did it in March. I had a friend that didn't have his done until May

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 pm

I'd worry more about C&F than your summer job. Get that paid and released ASAP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Thank you guys so much for the insights, I really appreciate it during this time of panic!
So I filled out my form and handed in on the day of my call back (09/28) and I'm supposed to hear back latest by next Tuesday, does it seem like they will be able to complete a background check by then or is the background check going to be conducted later in the year?

Return to “Legal Employment”