Intrafirm Office Split

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Intrafirm Office Split

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 am

I know I've read that it can be a bad idea to split between firms during the summer. I've been offered the opportunity to split between two offices within the same large firm. Does this carry the same risks?

I think this firm has historically had 100% or very close to 100% offer rates in the two offices that I am looking to split between (can't find the info on NALP anymore).

Re: Intrafirm Office Split

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 am

It carries some if the risks, and but not all. You only get a small amount of time to reverse a potentially bad impression. You might be the first one for a no offer if they are forced to make a cut.

If you are truly undecided maybe it is worth it. But if you already know which you are going to choose then I wouldn't risk it.

How 100 percent is 100 percent. If they weren't 100 percent of in 2009 they aren't true 100percent.

snailio

Postby snailio » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 am

Are the two offices within the same general geographic area?...If you were screened by two offices at EIP (OCI) within the same firm, I would think you have strong chances with splitting. However I have heard some firms require both offices to make the offer. Really the safest bet is to summer with one office, if you are so up in the air you can't make up your mind, then I suppose splitting isn't the end of the world.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 am

Intrafirm is fine. For example, Ropes and Cleary both let people split and still dole out 'em 100% offers.

Milk the SA and have fun.

igo2northwestern

Postby igo2northwestern » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know I've read that it can be a bad idea to split between firms during the summer. I've been offered the opportunity to split between two offices within the same large firm. Does this carry the same risks?

I think this firm has historically had 100% or very close to 100% offer rates in the two offices that I am looking to split between (can't find the info on NALP anymore).

It really depends on the firm - some are very generous about it, while others (the majority of firms) are not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know I've read that it can be a bad idea to split between firms during the summer. I've been offered the opportunity to split between two offices within the same large firm. Does this carry the same risks?

Don't do it. I did, thought it would be fine and was actually a major perk, and things did not go well. You can buy plane tickets later with your big salary and get staffed on a case out of e other office after you start as a first-year if you want to see what it's like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:07 pm

How did your firm offer you this opportunity? I have already accepted my offer in NY but would really like to see what their DC office is like. The firm has allowed splits between those offices before and had consistent 100% offer rates, but no one has split in the last 2 years (DC program shrank a lot but I'm not entirely sure why no one split). I want to ask if it's even a possibility this summer but am afraid of coming off as uncommitted to the NY office. Even if the firm says yes, would I be creating more work for them if they need to find another SA interested in splitting? or is that not how it works...?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Don't do it. I did, thought it would be fine and was actually a major perk, and things did not go well. You can buy plane tickets later with your big salary and get staffed on a case out of e other office after you start as a first-year if you want to see what it's like.

What went wrong?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:

How did your firm offer you this opportunity? I have already accepted my offer in NY but would really like to see what their DC office is like. The firm has allowed splits between those offices before and had consistent 100% offer rates, but no one has split in the last 2 years (DC program shrank a lot but I'm not entirely sure why no one split). I want to ask if it's even a possibility this summer but am afraid of coming off as uncommitted to the NY office. Even if the firm says yes, would I be creating more work for them if they need to find another SA interested in splitting? or is that not how it works...?

OP here- firms initiated the offer to split. I hadn't accepted and this was sort of an incentive to join. They kind of knew I was deciding between city X and Y where my preferred practice area is heavily concentrated in Y ( despite both firms having larger practice presences in X).

Does anyone think that the firm initiating the offer changes the calculus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:38 am

I don't think that changes anything. The risk is minimal but still there, and if they need to cut someone and need to find an excuse to do so, they'll forget that they're the ones that offered you the opportunity to split.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think that changes anything. The risk is minimal but still there, and if they need to cut someone and need to find an excuse to do so, they'll forget that they're the ones that offered you the opportunity to split.

This. If it comes down to it and they have 8 spots for 9 people the guy who was only there for half the summer is the easiest to cut, even if they initiated it.

I seriously considered splitting between offices but OCS really waved me off it.

Return to “Legal Employment”